SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tri-Fuel Generator Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Tri-Fuel Generator Question Login/Join 
Member
posted
Wanted to ask a quick question related to a Tri-Fuel Generator I recently purchased at Lowe’s (specs are below).

I will have a dedicated Natural Gas line run in about 4-5 weeks that will supply fuel to this generator when it is needed. I do not want to use gasoline in it ever if possible, but know I have that option if the NG stops. I have a couple of 20lb propane bottles here at the house left from last years ice and snow storm we had and wanted to ask the following question.

Can I use propane to complete the set up and break in of this generator while I wait for the NG line to be completed? My thought would be to get these processes completed so that once the NG line is hooked up I can give it a short run and will be good to go. I like the idea of completing the set up and break in period now so that I can complete my first oil change and then be ready for the unknown. Thanks in advance for any assistance on this issue.

Specs on the unit I purchased: I bought this particular unit in March when the local store was overstocked on generators as a result of a two week snow and ice storm we experienced where most in our small town had no power for 7-15 days. Wanted the tri-fuel system and this one had very good reviews. I was able to pick this unit up for $748.00 - Sorry it actually cost me $848.00



This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,
 
Posts: 3656 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

My generator came with parts for both NG and propane and I had to have it set up to run propane. Something to do with regulator pressures or jetting I think.




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
 
Posts: 16728 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Following as a tri-fuel is on my shortlist, with a NG line to run it as well.




The Enemy's gate is down.
 
Posts: 18870 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
As long as you have the appropriate LPG hose and regulator I don't see why you couldn't. You'll need a different gas line when you hook it up to natural gas.
 
Posts: 4019 | Location: Sunshine State | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can do that with no issue.


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26959 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for responding.

Mark60 - Thanks for bringing up this point. The generator I purchased did come with a dedicated propane regulator and hose assembly.

Thanks again for everyone’s replies. This unit is a BEAST. It weighs almost 200lbs so I am excited to get this project started. Once we get the gas line run and funds allow I will hire an electrician to put me in a 50amp switch box thing (I know not what they are called but will have a professional do all the work and teach me what I need to know to use).
 
Posts: 3656 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Following as a tri-fuel is on my shortlist, with a NG line to run it as well.


This specific unit has available a 15’ or 25’ half inch NG approved flexible hose system with quick couplers that can be attached to this style generator and the NG line. I purchased the 15’ unit from Lowes for under $50.00 with plans to use it so that the generator does not have to be super close to the NG outlet. There are several videos on line showing how this hose unit works.

Also, this specific brand Tri-Fuel unit comes in three or four different sizes related to wattage output. They sell larger diameter hose sets for use with the larger wattage units.
 
Posts: 3656 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I just had my interlock installed in my breaker box and 50amp inlet installed on the back of my house last week.
Still need to build my cable to plug my generator in to it.


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26959 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can break it in with Propane, just make sure it's on the correct setting. Make sure to break it in with a load.
 
Posts: 21809 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Yes, you can break it in with Propane, just make sure it's on the correct setting. Make sure to break it in with a load.


Generally is an alternating load not to exceed 1/2 power.
Length of break in varies by model as well.

Mine was alternating load not to exceed 1/2 power for 8 hours then change oil. I am using ethanol free with Startron for the break in and will keep 20 gallons of ethanol free and a few propane tanks.
I got a smaller generator this go round that will power two bedrooms and one HVAC unit. I will get a larger NG one some day.

For my break in I used a couple old school high wattage halogen lights and alternated in a heat gun. I did 2 hour runs alternating in the heat gun on high for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26959 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Thanks guys for responding.

Mark60 - Thanks for bringing up this point. The generator I purchased did come with a dedicated propane regulator and hose assembly.

Thanks again for everyone’s replies. This unit is a BEAST. It weighs almost 200lbs so I am excited to get this project started. Once we get the gas line run and funds allow I will hire an electrician to put me in a 50amp switch box thing (I know not what they are called but will have a professional do all the work and teach me what I need to know to use).


Transfer switch, designed to allow the generator to run the home and cut off any power from it going back out over the power lines.
 
Posts: 28593 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
An interlock setup is almost always more cost effective (if you have space in the panel to add a new breaker) and more versatile as you can choose which breakers you want powered each event in your main breaker.
Transfer switch you’re stuck with just the few breakers you run to the transfer switch.

Some places may not matter as their climate is generally the same.
Here we have drastically different climates that will cause us to lose power so what we want powered will likely change if it was a spring summer T storm that knocked us out or a winter ice storm.

Again, we went smaller on the generator because we aren’t likely to loose power for much over a few days. No need for us to run the whole house.


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26959 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The last bullet point in your spec sheet that you posted specifically says you can easily switch between gas, nat gas, propane even without shutting off the unit. So it stands to reason that the unit won't care which one you use to do the break-in.
 
Posts: 2081 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Don't know why breaking it in with one of the gases it's designed to run with would cause an issue. I had an electrician install an interlock switch, so start up is not automatic with our set up. Our 11000W generator is set up for propane and gasoline. I initially ran ours with both. Slight stumble when switching back and forth between gasoline and propane, but that was it...


NRA Life
 
Posts: 1637 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tri-Fuel Generator Question

© SIGforum 2026