SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    THAILAND TRIP ADVICE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THAILAND TRIP ADVICE Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I posted a trip awhile back about a possible trip with the family to Thailand.
Well, Friday we go.
We fly Emirates to Dubai then to Bangkok. From Bangkok we drive directly to Kanchanaburi and stay at a floating hotel called X2.Its on the River Kwai. The bridge, and War Memorial to the WWII soldiers that died there as depicted in the movie Bridge on the River Kwai will be a stop.
I'm bring fishing gear and hope to tie into a river monster. We will stay there for 2 days then travel further up river to another floating Hotel on the river Kwai called Float House.More fishing from there. We will stay there 1 night then return to Bangkok to fly to the island of Koh Samui.
I rented a ocean front home there called Villa Manta and plan on 3 days there before heading back to Bangkok for 2 final days at the Chatrium riverfront Hotel.

Has any body visited any of these Hotels or locations?
Any tips or must see attractions?

Posts: 4651 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Don't know about any of those, but prep yourself HERE

Q

Posts: 26706 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Please take lots of pictures. Thailand looks like a fascinating place.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16197 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Watch you don't eat too many of the pan fried roaches.

Have great trip.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31529 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I've been to Bangkok and Phuket a couple of times and loved it. IMO the two best things about Thailand are the people and the street food.

I think the Thais are the warmest, friendliest people in Asia. Learning a few words, especially 'please and thank you' will go a long way.

Since you you'll be in the rivers make sure you your shots are updated as Doc mentioned above.

Have great time!

Posts: 12943 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I'm in a class for work and my roommate is from Thailand. I'll ask him later today.

Posts: 1520 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
You're GOING WHERE??

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38040 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I've been to Thailand many times for business... Bangkok, this is one of my favorite places to eat: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re...taurant-Bangkok.html

It seems like you'll be in the Hotel/Boat for the majority of the trip. If you'd like more insite, send me an email: david@mimisjewelryinc.com

DO NOT PURCHASE GEMS IN Kanchanaburi!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6022 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Do not audition for "Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders".

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7131 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
steer clear of women with Adam's Apples & big hands.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16127 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
For a long time, Thailand was the go to place for a vacation in SE Asia. But I seem to recall that they've been having a bout of political instability lately.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Watch you don't eat too many of the pan fried roaches.

Have great trip.

I would like to eat things I don't already eat on a daily basis here in Chicago.

Posts: 4651 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My legal assistant went to Thailand for her honeymoon. One of the other guys in the office warned her to be very careful as she could easily be kidnapped and sold into the white slave trade.

Turned out she wasn't kidnapped.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53134 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Always do the reach-around so you don't end up with more than you bargained for Eek

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I posted a trip awhile back about a possible trip with the family to Thailand.
Well, Friday we go.
We fly Emirates to Dubai then to Bangkok. From Bangkok we drive directly to Kanchanaburi and stay at a floating hotel called X2.Its on the River Kwai. The bridge, and War Memorial to the WWII soldiers that died there as depicted in the movie Bridge on the River Kwai will be a stop.
I'm bring fishing gear and hope to tie into a river monster. We will stay there for 2 days then travel further up river to another floating Hotel on the river Kwai called Float House.More fishing from there. We will stay there 1 night then return to Bangkok to fly to the island of Koh Samui.
I rented a ocean front home there called Villa Manta and plan on 3 days there before heading back to Bangkok for 2 final days at the Chatrium riverfront Hotel.

Has any body visited any of these Hotels or locations?
Any tips or must see attractions?

Been to all those places, Koh Samui is nice. Memorial at River Kwai is interesting.

Theres obviously lots of great Thai food, they also have a large Indian population and excellent Indian food.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
My legal assistant went to Thailand for her honeymoon. One of the other guys in the office warned her to be very careful as she could easily be kidnapped and sold into the white slave trade.

Turned out she wasn't kidnapped.

So she voluntarily became a white slave?

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

if you've got a teenage son, have THAT talk. I know it's unsavory but that's a lot better than herpes.

Posts: 8157 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I've seen a youtube channel and the fellow who runs it covers Thailand travels exclusively. He does cover some of the more prevalent "scams".

I bet you could find his channel rather easily.

Have an awesome time!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Treat yourself to a tasty bowl of Khao Soi, one of my all-time favorite dishes.

Posts: 14758 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post