SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Targets, Anyone? Where to Buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Targets, Anyone? Where to Buy? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I sometimes print off targets from online sites, but they all fit onto an 8"x11" page. Where do folks go for the larger targets?

I just about ordered a pack of 50 23"x35" transitional qualification targets for $18.50 but stopped when the only shipping option cost $17.18! Okay, I pay about $1.00 each at the range, so this is cheaper, but to me, that's an awful high shipping charge!

Amazon's got targets, but the same approximate size runs $57.96 with "free" shipping.

Am I out of bounds here? Are paper targets really that expensive?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but shipping is not cheap. Figure out the weight of all that paper, and then add the tube.

You can go to your LGS and ask them if you can get a deal on 50 or 100 targets to see if the price comes down.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Most guys I know use cardboard from boxes and strips of colored tape or sharpies.

Posts: 13847 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I use the above mentioned card board but in a effort to keep it classy, use orange dots that you would use to price garage sale items. I think the dots cost me $10/1000 on amazon.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Check out Action Target!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2109 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Political signs made of corrugated plastic, with the galvanized wire "H" frame, make great targets/target holders. And they're free just about everywhere.

If you have a semi-serious printer available, you can print your own. Good printers cost about .03/sheet, big ones even less. Consumer grade printers that are dirt cheap to buy cost significantly more based on the toner costs.

Posts: 3554 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Shipping giant boxes of targets is not cheap.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I use several thousand targets a year. I buy them from Targets Online and use the cardstock targets. Shipping is somewhat pricey due to weight

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4375 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Print out one of the targets you like from the internet and take it to a print shop and ask them to print it at the size you would like.

If the scale of the targets doesn't work doing it that way, you can design a target in photoshop or illustrator or similar program and take it to be printed.

If it's just black/white, it will likely be cheaper than what you are finding commercially, especially if you print a large quantity.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I ordered a box of 500 qualification targets a few months back. Of course it came in on day shift, and my Sgt just about got a hernia trying to get it inside the building. It was heavy as hell. That's where your shipping cost comes in.

And yeah, they're expensive. 98% of my shooting at paper is done on 8.5x11 targets I've printed off the internet. It's cheaper and way more convenient to take to the range. I only use the big ones for quals or practice out at 50 yards or beyond.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Political signs made of corrugated plastic, with the galvanized wire "H" frame, make great targets/target holders. And they're free just about everywhere.

Free between the hours of sunset and sunrise. Big Grin

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I buy official NRA targets from Kruger Targets. A bit pricey, but good quality.

www.kruger-us-targets.com

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9512 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Here's what I typically shoot at when I don't have them fancy store-bought targets.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I sometimes print off targets from online sites, but they all fit onto an 8"x11" page. Where do folks go for the larger targets?

I just about ordered a pack of 50 23"x35" transitional qualification targets for $18.50 but stopped when the only shipping option cost $17.18! Okay, I pay about $1.00 each at the range, so this is cheaper, but to me, that's an awful high shipping charge!

Amazon's got targets, but the same approximate size runs $57.96 with "free" shipping.

Am I out of bounds here? Are paper targets really that expensive?

Nations Gun Show,
north hall,

there should be a guy there with a block of tables with every style target you could need, most are from National Target Co,

admission may be cheaper than shipping,

next show is the weekend after Christmas

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10606 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brownells does not have a great selection of paper targets, but they occasionally offer free shipping for over $49 or $99.

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...er-targets/index.htm

I read the fine print for today's free shipping offer and did not see an exception for targets.

Posts: 16030 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Last ones I bought were from Targets Online. With shipping included the cost of the targets was only about 35cents each. I ordered enough to last for quite a while.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1116 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apartment complex has a recycling bin that offers an unlimited supply of cardboard for targets. I then use red duct tape to make zones.
My target stand uses firring strips for upright supports and with binder clips, I am up and running quickly.
Problem: I err from time to time and plink the clip!
MidwayUSA has a good variety of targets but I only buy them when on sale. I mainly buy the type of reduced silhouette that is brown on one side and white on the other. Easy to pick out a white target on a crowded range.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16410 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Cardboard box and sharpie here!!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14044 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year there was a couple in their 70sat the local range. The husband was teaching his wife how to shoot. They had brought what seemed to be used paper plates and were using magic markers to draw faces on each one. It was quite amusing, but certainly cost effective. The drawings were rather primitive.

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^
Good idea since after the election, no one seems to remove their signs from the side of the road.

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post