SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Netflix price increase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix price increase Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
https://comicbook.com/movies/2...rease-us-13-dollars/

It’s only a couple bucks but you’d think the end of days is upon us.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just speeding their decline when disney+ comes out... What a dumb move. Their content quality has gone down and now the prices is going up. Bad model.

Yeah it's a couple bucks but 18% is pretty steep.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only a couple of bucks a month, but still an 18 percent increase. Most will justify it as "the price of a cup of coffee." But it does start to add up, especially as many households have multiple content subscriptions. But OTOH, still cheaper than most cable bills.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They know they have a lot of people by the balls with streaming growing by leaps and bounds.

It's funny how people escape Comcast because of this...and then the ones they run to do the same.

Posts: 33791 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And one day when your paying for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime, Disney, etc etc. and you realize you are paying as much as you ever did for cable.

Then Comcast or someone will come along and offer to bundle all of these streaming services for you and circle will continue

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
And one day when your paying for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime, Disney, etc etc. and you realize you are paying as much as you ever did for cable.

Except relatively few people are going to do that, compared to the numbers that (used to?) pay exorbitant subscription TV fees.

Right now we have OTA TV DVR service for $6.67/mo. (pays for the guide data, essentially), Netflix for $13/mo. (new price), Amazon Prime for $10/mo. and One America News for $5/mo. That's a total of $35/mo.

Doesn't sound all that far off a traditional subscription, until you consider that gives us all those things on all our TVs and mobile devices, and any more we might add--including remote access to the OTA TV, both live and DVR'd, and one of those subs gives us free two-day shipping from the world's biggest on-line store.

We won't, btw, be signing up for Disney when they leave Netflix.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
At least we'll be getting our money's worth, more "not ready for Red Box" quality films and Bollywoods greatest hits.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Except you control if you subscribe to those services and pretty much every one but Amazon Prime can be terminated at a moments notice, with you finishing out the month.

Try that with cable and you'll get hit with termination fees, 1-3 hours on the phone, and much drama.

Don't forget the yearly 1-2 hour call up and pretend to walk away from cable to get them to not increase pricing on you by 50-100%.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, and they'll all cry for government help when their providers start charging by the bit vs unlimited, or throttle fees for heavy users.

Wait wasn't that net neutrality or "don't charge me by amount used bro"

Posts: 23419 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Why do you keep claiming NN was something other than what it clearly was?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

NN was a price fixing scheme, albiet surrounded by all kinds of false protection claims for the little guys, in the end it's goal was to regulate pricing of suppliers from using models that charged by use, pushed by high bandwidth users as a way to use the Feds to protect their platforms.

It's fairly straight forward "Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers treat all data on the Internet equally, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication. [4] For instance, under these principles, Internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content. This is sometimes enforced through government mandate. These regulations can be referred to as "common carrier" regulations.[5] This does not block all abilities that Internet service providers have to impact their customer's services. Opt-in/opt-out services exist on the end user side, and filtering can be done on a local basis, as in the filtration of sensitive material for minors.[6]"

Posts: 23419 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why don't you start a NN thread then, mmkay?

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

NN was a price fixing scheme, albiet surrounded by all kinds of false protection claims for the little guys, in the end it's goal was to regulate pricing of suppliers from using models that charged by use, pushed by high bandwidth users as a way to use the Feds to protect their platforms.

It's fairly straight forward "Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers treat all data on the Internet equally, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication. [4] For instance, under these principles, Internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content. This is sometimes enforced through government mandate. These regulations can be referred to as "common carrier" regulations.[5] This does not block all abilities that Internet service providers have to impact their customer's services. Opt-in/opt-out services exist on the end user side, and filtering can be done on a local basis, as in the filtration of sensitive material for minors.[6]"

Exactly: "[do] not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication."

IOW, unlike your claim of "don't charge me by amount used bro," it's "charge me for amount used, not how I use it.

Just like your telephone. You pay for what you use, not how you use it. The TelCo charges you no differently if you spend an hour talking to your meemaw than they do if you spend an hour swapping heavy breathing with dial-a-pr0n.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
IOW, unlike your claim of "don't charge me by amount used bro," it's "charge me for amount used, not how I use it.

symantics, Pretty sure that's the same thing.

Now Back to your regular scheduled debate on Netflix. Big Grin

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Worth all that to not have to waste life skipping commercials.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Eventually it will cost the same as cable. Currently I pay $90 a month for just internet. I could get cable and internet at the same speed for $30 more a month. As these cable companies move towards streaming over traditional cable (like spectrum, Comcast, etc...) with their own apps the cost will equal the same. What really needs to happen is truly ala cart service without shitty bundles no one wants.

The other “problem” if you can call it that is that there is just too much good content on tv these days spread out over multiple platforms. There just isn’t enough hours in the day.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Netfilx sucks. It is all junk and there are no good movies on there to watch. If you like reality TV or old TV shows it may be for you. I'm canceling my account since I can never find anything to watch.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Only a couple of bucks a month, but still an 18 percent increase. Most will justify it as "the price of a cup of coffee." But it does start to add up, especially as many households have multiple content subscriptions. But OTOH, still cheaper than most cable bills.

It's a tad more than a coupe bucks when one considers the regular price (two streams with high def) was $7.99/mo a few years ago. Wink

Now, in my opinion, if their content increases along with the quality, it'll be worth it. Although, I do find myself watching Disney (the better ones are on disc anyway)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The other “problem” if you can call it that is that there is just too much good content on tv these days spread out over multiple platforms. There just isn’t enough hours in the day.
What have you been watching?

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
As these services continue to develop their own content this was bound to happen.

If you like the content, a bargain. If you don't, it's not. Yes, I am a combo financial-entertainment genius.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post