SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a heart monitoring Android smart watch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a heart monitoring Android smart watch Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
As the title says, I need a smart watch that monitors heart function, but also has typical smart watch features, with GPS being a nice addition.

As I am NOT doing an Apple watch, I am looking primarily at the two below:

Garmin Vivoactive 4 Link

Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 Link

Does anyone have any experience with these watches, or have an opinion on which would be better? I am using a late model Samsung A 71 phone.

Thanks for your help.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do not mind answering what were the results of your cardio tests?

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Echo was normal which is great news. BP is back in the high normal range. Still awaiting the results of the 24 hour heart monitor.

Honestly, I feel great. If I can get the heart rate back to normal, I will consider myself fully cured.

Thank you for asking.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news. Hopefully the Holter monitor will not show anything of consequence and the arrythmia will resolve on its own.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
As the title says, I need a smart watch that monitors heart function, but also has typical smart watch features, with GPS being a nice addition.

As I am NOT doing an Apple watch, I am looking primarily at the two below:

Garmin Vivoactive 4 Link

Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 Link

Does anyone have any experience with these watches, or have an opinion on which would be better? I am using a late model Samsung A 71 phone.

Thanks for your help.

I used a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and loved it, but then I found a deal on a refurbished Garmin Fenix 5x Sapphire and bought it. I gave the Vivoactive 3 to my wife.

The Vivoactive was easy to use, and the Garmin Connect App is great. The Garmin watches do heart rate, you can set a heart rate warning, and they track sleep very well.

My vote would be for the Garmin all day every day.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Artie...What smartphone features do you need/want? The reason I ask is you may be able to simply buy a fitness band like the Honor Band 6 to get what you're looking for at a far lower cost. That's what I'm looking at getting to track my fitness and monitor my essentials.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I know you said no Apple but we've been down this road last year with my dad and every doctor said Apple only. This coming from a family that only has Samsung phones.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
BigDeal: I have considered that, but I use many of the smart watch features in my business and daily life. I am upgrading from a Samsung Gearfit 2 Pro, which has become unreliable on heart rate, and doesn'thave Blood O2, or simulated ECG, or the other heart functions.

BB61: My understanding is that the latest (Mark 6) Apple Watch will not sync with Android devices. You are absolutely correct that earlier Apple watches are the only ones that really made the grade. My cardiologist has approved both the Samsung and Garmin offerings, and I am trying to choose between them, while being open to other issues. I will likely look into a rebuilt Fenix 5, as suggested above, for example.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My gut says Samsung, for guaranteed compatibility with your Samsung phone.
But, I have no experience with either.

I've got my eye on the new Citizen smart watch.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I know you didn't mention this brand but Fitbit does that stuff and I works on Android.
Mine (Fitbit HR 3)has worked well but has the occasional software glitches like most.
Mine only come off to take a shower and charts heart rate, blood O2, sleep time and levels, and a bunch of other things (steps, miles).
They are much less expensive than Apple and smaller too. I would pay up for an Apple if it had more of what I want but it has more of what I don't want for more dollars.

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 every day. It works very well with my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra phone.

The smartphone integration is seamless (as you would expect from the consistent ecosystem). Great screen, easy navigation with the rotating bezel, two-day battery life, and it feels like a quality timepiece on your wrist.

All the health monitoring features work well. I use it to track number of steps, sleep quality, SpO2, average and resting heart rate (as well as heart rate during exercise), etc. I also play around with the ECG feature which is interesting.

I find the Samsung Health smartphone app to be well designed and informative.

I wore a Galaxy Watch Active 2 before I got the Watch 3, and I must say I'm quite pleased with Samsung's watches.

One thing I would add is that my Watch Active 2 had an integrated LTE radio so you could text, make and receive calls and emails, etc. without your phone nearby. It was neat, but the LTE radio was a freaking battery HOG. I ended up turning the LTE radio off most of the time.

I recommend going for the Bluetooth only (non-LTE) version of the watch unless you really want to leave your phone at home.

If you have any specific questions LMK and I can try to address them for you.

Good Luck!

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Very happy with my refurbished Vivoactive 3 purchased at the beginning of the year after wearing several "fitbit" devices long with a separate timepiece. Paired quickly with my Polar chest strap when I'm on the bike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...pop_mob_b_asin_title

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After having bartonella endocarditis (aorta valve replacement) I purchased an apple 7 watch. I use it with an apple phone.

Not what you are asking for but Wanted to state I have not had any issues with the heart related functions of the apple watch.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I wear a Polar Grit X ~ primarily for fitness.
Perhaps one of these might work for you.

https://www.polar.com/us-en/all-watches/

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin Instinct Solar and it works well with my Samsung S20. It does heart rate, PulseOx and will track a variety of activities with or without GPS. I believe that the newer Instinct2 will also do ECG's and well as fall detection.

I particularly like the way I can use the app to view historical data (e.g. week/month/year of average heart rate or PulseOx high/low). My wife has a Galaxy watch and we haven't figured out how to review similar data on her phone...probably operator headspace on our part.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It’s not a watch, but I believe that the KardiaMobile personal EKG is the best heart function analysis tool available to the general public. The KardiaMobile app that controls it is available for Android and iPhone:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...300097794#6300097794

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8969 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, I agree. I have had several Kardia Mobile device, including the 6-lead model and the latest which is credit-card size. They are clumsier to get an EKG going than on my Apple Watch, but the quality of the EKG is extremely good.
The Apple Watch (and I presume the Android-compatible watches) monitors for atrial fibrillation. That can occur without symptoms, so you wouldn't pick it up on a Kardia Mobile device except by luck. I look on the two as complementary.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Samsung Watch, #4. It does a capable job of monitoring heart rate. The ECG function has stopped working. My son has the Garmin Vivo Active and it works really well.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add my Polar watch syncs to my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy) app and also my Windows desktop.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin Instinct Crossover Solar Tactical. Pretty happy. Stupid expensive. The titanium watch band alone was $200.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post