SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know how to use a slide rule?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know how to use a slide rule? Login/Join 
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I had a K&E but have totally forgotten how to use it, after all that was over 50 years ago. I still use a round version for flight operations, the E6B flight computer but it not really a slide rule.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knew how to use one many years ago but have forgotten the techniques.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 85 | Location: Between Maryland and Virginia | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Used it my senior year to get an "A" in chemistry. A couple of years later I saw one of the first electric calculators. It was the size of a transistor radio and required a power cord. However n 1970 it cost $700.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
In my 70's used one throughout high school. It's still around the house somewhere, haven't seen it a lot of years

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still have mine somewhere in the garage...
Also with my circular slide rule from my mechanical engineering classes in college.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Nor-cal | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
Last time I used one was while taking analytical chemistry in college back in 1973. It would take a little while to get back in the groove with it.

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
Oh Hell No

I can use reverse polish notation like a bat outta hell though. Does that count?

I have an HP-11 calculator app on my iPhone. I still have and use my HP-41CV from 30 years ago.
Love RPN.

I had a slide rule in high school but never used it. I worked summers for a company that sold drafting tables and accessories, slide rules, and other high tech stuff back in the day. They had several display cases of every slide rule made in all sizes. I think I had a Dietzgen the owner gave to me. He also gave me a drafting table and a drafting machine. I used the heck out of that thing - don't remember what for though.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
In middle school (a bit ago) a teacher had a huge slide rule mounted over the black board. About 10 feet long and a foot or two wide. The parts moved and he would set up the "big" slide rule to show various calculations.

I was taught with this same setup. When I tell my younger coworkers about the slide rule, they cannot fathom the idea. I looked for my old one a while back to take to work. Never did find it. I think I can still do some basic math on one.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I had to learn to use one in 9th grade gen-science but that was 20 odd years ago, and the teacher was a dinosaur. A great teacher and very well liked guy though.

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought my K&E in 1961 at NCSU. Still got it in my tin carrying case with all my drawing paraphernalia. Haven't looked at it in a couple of years. I'd have to "brush up" a bit to do logs on it now.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Never used one, nor needed it for anything.

I was terrible at basic math, and never went further than an introduction to Algebra.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A rather more substantial reaction to this thread than I expected.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have several. I have one on the wall of my office. Love it when someone new enters my office, stops, stares at it and says "what is that for".

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A rather more substantial reaction to this thread than I expected.

Lol..... Para, you forget there are a bunch of old farts here. Myself included. I still have one, but have forgotten how to use it.

I always got a kick out of the movie Apollo 13 when the Tech's were using slide rules to double check astronauts math!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
Theres a cheap wooden slide rule around here somewhere and a round plastic one also. Guess I'll try to find one of them and play a little bit.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Hell yes!

In the beginning of my occupation working for a state engineering dept, the slide rule was alowed on computations during cerification exams.

Such tests as Asphalt, Concrete, Aggregate, etc. There were some tough calculations required in order to be passed and certified which was a requirement in the inspection field I was in.

On our exams we had to write "Slide Rule Accuracy" on the front. Also, the in the exam rooms back then smoking was allowed. Many times I would look up at the cloud formation , you could not see the ceiling. And filled up ashtrays.
Frayed nerves and broken pencils.

Then Texas instruments calculators were invented with 4 basic functions, those were grabbed up quickly. With their red LED displays.

So, yes , I do know how.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then Texas instruments calculators were invented with 4 basic functions, those were grabbed up quickly. With their red LED displays.

Yup. I picked one up at a Radio Shack on Little Creek Rd. in Norfolk when I got transferred back east after living and sleeping with a slide rule the for the previous 15 months on Treasure Island. Damned calculator was a TI with little red LED matrix digit display, tactile feedback keys, 4 functions only, no memory, no roots, no nothing except the basic 4. Inch and a half thick and gobbled batteries. Worst $69.00 I ever spent, especially while on 1974 Navy E-5 pay scale...should have waited a couple of years for more features at a much lower price from many more manufacturers but they were cool...and very handy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Used one through HS & College, had a fine collection of them, still know where 4 of them are. Still enjoyable times for me.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Yes, in high school and especially in college for the first 2-3 years. Freshman year of college, we had slide rule exams in our engineering fundamentals class the first 15 min of class.

Posts: 9044 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post