SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know how to use a slide rule?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know how to use a slide rule? Login/Join 
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Oh Hell No

I can use reverse polish notation like a bat outta hell though. Does that count?

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have one and a 7 digit log book. No idea how to use either one.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have two Post Versalogs: 10" and 6", and can still use them – with glasses. But only for fun – say, to impress the UCSD students at Peet's Coffee & Tea. Smile I liked the Versalog for its better square root and log scales, but I always thought that the K&E was a nicer-looking instrument.

http://pmburgess.blogspot.com/...log-no-1460.html?m=1

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I believe my slide rule was a Pickett, I used it frequently in high school physics and electronics. I also had a circular side rule. But I was not a propeller-head, who carried the slide rule in a holster on their belt.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Always wanting to be different, I had a small Gilson circular slide rule for trig.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
Oh Hell No

I can use reverse polish notation like a bat outta hell though. Does that count?

I teach accounting in college. It is common for students to forget their calculator for an exam, ask if they can borrow mine. I give them my HP 12C with RPN. Invariably the student plays with it, gives it back, and tells me they will do the problems by hand. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Never even handled one.

I'm 34.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, all the common functions. Some I was a little vague on 50 years ago and it hasn't gotten better since.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have one... maybe two. Someone gave them to me when I started at GT, but I've never really looked into figuring out how to use one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh hell yeah. A nice bamboo with a small canister of talcum powder, clean eyeglasses, and a good grasp of scientific notation and one is good to go.

Neatest thing I learned and still [somewhat] remember? How to find the nth root of a given number. But that was back in '72 so I'd probably stumble around a little today, at least for the first few hours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Don't think I've even ever seen a slide rule.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used them in college before calculators were common (read cheap as dirt ), still around here somewhere. Was talking to a friend a while back who is a engineer asked him if he still knew how to use one, mumbled something about you can never go back and changed the subject.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of them - one I had was a circular slide rule that would fit in a shirt pocket

also had a really nice wooden linear one

wish I still had them but I tossed them when I was part way through engineering school

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
...one I had was a circular slide rule that would fit in a shirt pocket...

Found an old photo of you using that one:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have mine. I used it for high school and college physics. I pull it out ever now and then just to see if I remember how to use it....takes me a little while but some of it comes back.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the HP 35 came out everyone wanted one because of those pesky decimal points BUT they were about $400 and engineering managers just laughed when we wanted the company to buy them for us.
Initially Colleges would not let students use calculators in class or for exams I don't know when that breakthrough occurred. Even SR-10s were quite expensive for those times.
Doing statistics without a calculator was a slow process until we got our first deck top.

I am firmly of the opinion that a lot of mistakes are made because after the SR era, people no longer had to have a good idea of the answer before they work the problem.

There is a tendency to punch in numbers and write down answers as they pop up without worrying about whether they make sense.

When we did exams using the SR, the Profs only expected 3 place accuracy but the answer had to make sense.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I had a couple of them - one I had was a circular slide rule that would fit in a shirt pocket

also had a really nice wooden linear one

wish I still had them but I tossed them when I was part way through engineering school

I have a few engineers that always bring their fluid dynamics circular rulers to meetings.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still have mine, can use the multiply and divide, but the other functions.......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Useta could. Probably couldn't now, though.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:

I had to buy a new Texas Instruments calculator every year after that until buying an HP11C calculator in the fall of 1983. I still use it at work every day.

Still using my HP 11C, daily at work, bought about the same time.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post