SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An example of our failing mental health system that hits a little too close to home
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An example of our failing mental health system that hits a little too close to home Login/Join 
posted
If you want to read an example of our failing mental health systems take a few minutes and read the following article.

Lint to Article

This guy seams like a ticking time bomb and it seems like it could only be a matter of time before he goes off. The story reads like some of the things you hear about after something bad happens and everyone is looking for answers as to why it happened and why nothing was done to prevent it.

This is happening in a small rural community of about 3,600 people. MY community. The mother referred to in the article works for the same company as I do, I know the officers talked about in the article and I coached this young man when he was a Mite hockey player.

Today we received an email from our site manager reminding us to make sure the building is secure at all times and to pay attention to our surroundings as we come and go from the building.

The reason? They were contacted by local law enforcement to let us know that he may be released soon.

How is it that if things went down the way they did in this article that he could just be release without a psychiatric evaluation. The ERU wouldn't deal with him originally because there were no criminal charges against him. He does now so why would the just release him?

Posts: 2490 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad tale, I lived one aspect of it for 3 years working hospital security.

The article says there is no psychiatric facility that can take him. The hospital does not have the means to treat him, nor the legal ability to hold him beyond usually 24hrs. Many times they are put back on the street. In this case he went to jail, but they can't treat him there either...

This is a cycle, cops get called and detain them into protetive custody as they may harm themselves or others, hospital restrains them and sedates them then looks for a facility. None found, crime (like he injured a cop)? Jail, Then likely release prety soon and no treatment. No crime? Release after 24hr hold, rinse, repeat.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
De-institutionalization of mental hospitals went too far. It is very hard to commit someone until they actually harm someone or themselves.

Posts: 12744 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Send something in writing to your local law enforcement and also to local politicians explaining your concerns. Be sure to do it in writing so nobody can deny later, that it happened. Maybe the judge that is handling the case, if you know who that is.
With the recent events and hopefully increased awareness, that might be the best way to get somebody's attention.

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
De-institutionalization of mental hospitals went too far. It is very hard to commit someone until they actually harm someone or themselves.

I agree.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post