SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a leather cleaner?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a leather cleaner? Login/Join 
Picture of indigoss
posted
I am in search of a good leather cleaner, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What type of leather? Holster leather? Upholstery? Shoes?

Posts: 26939 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
It is actually for my wife’s purses. She has a few expensive purses that need to be “revitalized”.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Lexol?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30723 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Lexol?

+1. Lexol makes a very good cleaner (orange bottle) and a conditioner in a brown bottle (or white bottle for light colored leather).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Ballistol?

you can use it on your holsters and guns too.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coach stores carry cleaner and polish for their purses.

The lady of the house uses it regularly as the seasons change.

Good Luck

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another one for Lexol for 40+ years

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ballistol, used it on some leather chaps I had stored in the basement and Ballistol cleaned the white mold off completely and 6 months later they still look nearly new.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So are you looking for a "conditioner" or a "cleaner"?
There is some overlap but a conditioner can dramatically change the texture and appearance.
Automotive products such as from The Chemical Guys are very good.
But still pay attention to how much conditioning you want or need.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
It looks as if Legolas may be worth a shot. I appreciate the responses.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Lexol cleaner is very good. I like their conditioner as well but it can darken leather. For conditioning leather I use bick 4.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
It looks as if Lexol may be worth a shot. I appreciate the responses.

Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Venetian Shoe Cream is perfect for quality smooth leathers. Leaves a nice sheen to the leather when you buff it off and its gentle. If the leather is real dirty I use a little saddle soap and quickly wipe it off so the leather does not get to moist.

https://www.amazon.com/Venetia...=venetian+shoe+cream

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I'll add Bick 4 ... condition, clean, polish, protect. Will not darken finished leather. 16FL.oz. lasts a.long.time.
I haven't found a leather item in my home, Bick 4 isn't good for.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 4725 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Huberd's Shoe Grease, but she might not appreciate the pine tar campfire smell.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I use Feibing’s Liquid Glycerine Saddle Soap for my saddle, other horse gear and boots.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Lexol?

+1. Lexol makes a very good cleaner (orange bottle) and a conditioner in a brown bottle (or white bottle for light colored leather).

I've had great luck with Lexol cleaners on a lot of leather furniture. A buddy who does pro leatherwork gave me a small unlabeled sample of something else that worked great but ran out of that years ago.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
The following is based on my experience:

This took green sharpie off of my saddleback bag:

Followed by this to add moisture back to it:

Start:

Cleaned:

Conditioner added:

All done:

Lesson learned, don't rub quite so hard, let the cleaner do the work. If I showed you the bag today, you wouldn't know it had green sharpie on it.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
I'll add Bick 4 ... condition, clean, polish, protect. Will not darken finished leather.

You beat me to it. It's all I use, and is recommended by (and sold by) all of the several custom saddle makers here in town.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post