SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Defogging Headlights - It worked for me!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defogging Headlights - It worked for me! Login/Join 
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I've used the Wipe Away from Crawl Mart or the auto store with very good success!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Though it might have worked for you for the time being, using anything that dissolves the outer plastic of the headlight is a bad idea. These solutions usually leave the headlights somewhat sticky and/or soft, making them a magnet to virtually everything to stick to. It also generally provides a very short lived solution. The best solutions for addressing old badly discolored headlights, in order, are...

1) Replace the headlights with new units. Many aftermarket options are available, though the cost can be prohibitive in many instances.
2) Use one of the numerous headlight renewal kits that remove the clouding with sandpaper and polishing, and then coat the headlights in a UV protectant clearcoat. This is the option most people choose given the cost and results, however, it too is not a long term, permanent, solution. A good alternative to post corrective clear coat is to have the headlights wrapped with a good UV inhibiting film. Though a bit more expensive it protects the headlights from clouding over again, protects against nicks from road debris, and can be reapplied as needed.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Headlight renewal kits are also removing the outers layer of plastic, so I don't see how that is any better.

I used to use Bar Keepers Friend, which worked well, for a while anyway, like all of them, but it took some effort. Since I knew there was a can of Deep Woods Off sitting on the counter a few feet away, I walked outside and tried it (on a car with little to lose, but one I've "polished" several times) Just spraying it on made big difference. I probably could have left it at that, but wiping it with a rag made it better.

I then tried it on an '89 Ford, that's never had anything done to the lenses. It did little to nothing. So clearly where you're starting at matters.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Headlight renewal kits are also removing the outers layer of plastic, so I don't see how that is any better.
Sometimes yes and sometimes no, but the important thing is that they're not chemically weakening the plastic by melting it with DEET (its base is two acids and a chlorinating agent).

Sometimes no - Most people don't realize it, but auto headlights have a clear coat on them so when you're using something like 2000 grit or 3000 grit wet sand paper you're only removing a small portion (i.e. the oxidized portion) of the clear coat. Same goes for compounds and polish.

Somtimes yes - If the clear coat is disbonding, then a 500 or 800 grit wet sand paper goes first to actually remove it then progressive wet sand paper grits (e.g. 1000, 2000, 3000) to make the lens clear and finally applying a new clear coat, ceramic coating, or a protective spray (in order by longevity). However, nothing is actually melting or chemically weakening the plastic.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The best hundred bucks (actually $107 after shipping and tax) I ever spent on my 2009 Toyota Corolla was a pair of all new TYC brand headlights from Rock Auto. They actually throw a better beam than the original and even came with bulbs. Not all cars will be that low.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not all cars will be worth that much. lol

I tried the OFF on my 1995 Grand Marques with 190k on it and a bad head gasket. It gets me back and forth to work, which is about all I ask of it.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I used Mothers Mag cleaner with a buffer pad on my old F150 that lasted for about 6 months and was pretty easy to do.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post