SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ken Block's GYMKHANA TEN: The Ultimate Tire Slaying Tour
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ken Block's GYMKHANA TEN: The Ultimate Tire Slaying Tour Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
When I watch these things, I swear I can actually smell the burned rubber!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_KBvP0_8Tc

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
mesmerizing!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have Amazon Prime watch the series on the making of it...truly amazing footage and great BTS shots.

The two things that impressed me the most were how laid back and "nice" Ken seemed to be and the ease and comfort he had in the cars making them do crazy shit

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
man, and he gets paid too...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
That guy can freaking drive!!

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

I've had a thread going in the Lair about Gymkhana 10 for over two months!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Those vehicles got some evil engines. You can see how busy he gets inside. The Stang is my favorite.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:

Not in competition.
Best part was seeing the name “Solberg”. Damn we loved those two, and the son driving is awesome.

I love the cars and his development.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let that be a lesson to you - people want to see it in the lounge! Wink

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:

Let that be a lesson to you - people want to see it in the lounge! Wink

Just messing with you, BTW! I had no idea it was in the Lair because I never seem to visit the Lair. I'm not sure why....just habit, I guess.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Help me out. I've watched his stuff, and cheered for him in WRC, but not tracking in detail.

A lot of this looks like it's recycled. Is this all fresh, and they took all those cars back to those locations to shoot? Separate from earlier gigs?

Even better, at 14:48, is that Aaron from Fast and Loud? Loved him, and his talent was amazing.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The prime series about shooting it was better than the final product in my opinion. There are also in depth reviews of the truck and stang on the Hoonigans YouTube channel for those interested. I think they are titled as build biology.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Even better, at 14:48, is that Aaron from Fast and Loud? Loved him, and his talent was amazing.

I thought the same - Aaron is mentioned in the credits "special thanks" section I think?

I stopped watching Fast and Loud shortly after Aaron left - I was sad to see him go, but completely understandable with all of the ridiculous manufactured deadline drama for the show.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:

Not in competition.
Best part was seeing the name “Solberg”. Damn we loved those two, and the son driving is awesome.

I love the cars and his development.

I see your point, but recall he started to compete at 37 freaking years old ! And still did really well nationally though less so in WRC. Most of these guys start to race before they can form complete sentences. I’m a Ken Block fan cuz he has amazing car control, guts, and seems like a pretty cool guy to boot

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m a Ken Block fan cuz he has amazing car control, guts, and seems like a pretty cool guy to boot

Agreed, and he has built an incredibly and profitable brand doing something he seem to love. And how could you NOT love it?

My comment was unduly harsh. I was really pulling for him in WRC and was disappointed he struggled to even finish events. As you say, that's the difference in being extremely talented and starting something at 30something vs. living it since barely a toddler.

Instances like that are the occasional reminders of the gap between super talented one-in-thousands skills and the REALLY good folks who are just next-level from even that. It happens in all forms of racing, and helps us remember that just because we think we could keep up with John Force/Lewis Hamilton etc., we cannot.

Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Very good points. Watching NHRA I always thought “hey I could do that if could get over my fear of immolation “. F1 looks fun too but being 6’3 and 275 ( and American) is a non starter regardless of my talent fantasies. Now Moto GP - those guys are Wizards and I have no illusions of EVER drifting both ends at 100 mph at a 70 degree lean.
And I am buying the wife a day at Rally Ready in Texas for Christmas. This may get expensive.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the show on Amazon with the behind the scenes but to see the completed project is pretty cool. I watched this with my wife and oldest daughter and they enjoyed it too. It makes me want to get a ridiculously fast car...

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I watched the show on Amazon with the behind the scenes but to see the completed project is pretty cool. I watched this with my wife and oldest daughter and they enjoyed it too. It makes me want to get a ridiculously fast car...

You dont need a rediculously fast car to have a ton of fun. Buy something, anything sporty and look up your local scca or nasa group.

I love these vijeos...

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post