SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New truck oil change
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New truck oil change Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Got a new 2018 Nissan Titan XD in late January. The truck only has 2,600 miles on it now. We are going camping this weekend with a 25ft Airstream travel trailer. The trailer weighs around 7k dry. Im wondering if I should change the oil in the truck before putting 300 miles of towing on it?

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would make the first oil change early, then each 3,000. Definitely change the oil before the next trip. Always use a high quality oil filter, for oil I prefer Chevron Delo for longest engine life.

-c1steve

Posts: 4055 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
The manufacture will tell you that you don't need to but it certainly can't hurt. For piece of mind I always do my first oil change at 1000 miles.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
You probably don't need to these days, but I always do my first oil change at about 500 miles. The theory is that all the sharp microscopic metal ridges are broken off the cylinder walls, bearings, rings, and other moving parts, and are floating around in the new oil. Changing it after break-in (about 500 miles) gets rid of the particles and avoids premature wear.

These particles are so tiny they can only be seen in an electron microscope, so it probably doesn't matter, but it's cheap insurance to me.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would check the manual. New vehicles oil change frequency in much greater then it used to be. Some calling for 10,000 or 15,000 change frequency.

Your towing with it so will want to change it more often then if you didn't tow.

I think it also depends on oil. Synthetic or not.

At 2600 and a 300-mile trip I wouldn't worry about it but check the manual.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I think the manual calls for an oil change every 7k.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Let the truck tell you when the oil needs to be changed. It will do its calculations based on your usage and send you hate mail via the dash when its time.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I, similar to Intrepid, do an initial "break-in" oil change by 1000 miles and then after that every 3K. To answer your question, I would change it before the trip.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
The manufacture will tell you that you don't need to but it certainly can't hurt. For piece of mind I always do my first oil change at 1000 miles.

Did this too. I run some commercial mowing equipment, and always do a break in oil change early. Open up a oil filter from its first oil change, and you can find "glitter". All the break in metal fragments.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no question that the break in oil that comes in a new vehicle has a measurably higher amount of wear material, in parts per million, than the oil in an engine that is broken in.

This is not speculation, it is a fact, proven by lots of used oil analysis that I have done on my vehicles and others.

What I cannot say factually is how significant this additional metal is. In theory, anything large enough to cause engine wear should be caught by the filter - and the additional metal that shows up in a used oil analysis is too small to do anything significant.

So chances are, you really don't need to change the oil, as long as the oil is the right quality, viscosity, and is changed with the right interval specified in the manual for the type of service it is in.

Having said that, I change break in oil early in my personal vehicles, even though I really can't prove it's better to do so. It gives me piece of mind.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
If it was me, I’d change it.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Change the oil. It's only money.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I always change mine within 1000 miles. The filter won’t catch all of the small metal pieces from break in. I don’t have pics but every new car/truck I’ve owned had particles in the oil when I examined the old oil in the drain pan.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Most Owners Manuals state 2 schedules. One for normal duty and one for Heavy duty service. IIRC /Towing usually put it in the heavy service class and requires shorter oil change intervals...

At the recommendation of the machine shop that did the machine work for me... the last engine I built, got changed at...

45 minuets at 2k RPM
500 miles
1,500 miles
3,000 miles
Then 3k to 5k afterwards.

After personally talking to an engineer at the Mazda Factory about it, he said there was no special oil in a new Mazda, and no spacial additives for break-in were added. He also said that there was no harm whatsoever in changing it early, so my last new car got changed at...
All using the official Mazda oil and filters until the warranty is out.

I guess you can figure which camp I fall in... Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Break in oil may be of a different viscosity than normal. Prelube and metal particles wouldn't help the bearings either.

Posts: 9158 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Will you still own it 300,000 miles from now when it might make a difference? Will the engine be the item that likely quits first with or without the early oil changes? I get that it's a cynical question but really, how likely are you to benefit from this expense?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A selling tool for dealers is to point out how far the vehicle will go between oil changes. Some people buy into that, end result is that the engine lasts a semi-reasonable amount of time and dealers sell more cars.

If you can get 50,000 or more miles out of an engine by frequent oil changes, why not do it. It will run better at a given interval than a vehicle with less maintenance.

I was a mechanic for 25 years, and have a fairly good understanding about engine wear.

-c1steve

Posts: 4055 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your towing is a factor here. If I was towing anything regularly, I would exceed the manufactures guidelines for oil changes. My Silverado uses synthetic oil and has a long duration between oil changes. Since I dont tow, I keep to manufacturers specs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
If you are changing it yourself and have selected a special elixir and filter, go for it. If you’re having it changed, just wait because what goes in may not be as good as what’s in there.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I like to change out the break in oil fairly early. I would change it out before the trip.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4838 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post