New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never mind Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
I apologize, I jumped the gun. Red Face

The conference isn’t being held at the University of Chicago. There’s actually two they are looking at. Both are being held in hotels downtown. The one affiliated with the University of Chicago will be at the Hyatt Regency and the other one will be at the Fairmont Millennium.

Original Post:

My daughter’s high school’s Model UN Club is planning to attend a MUN event at the University of Chicago next year. If it’s like the one they attended at NYU this year in NYC, they'll have some time for tourist stuff as well.

How safe is it getting between the University and touristy areas? Where should they spend the two or three nights they’ll be there? Hotel downtown and take the L to and from the University?

I lived in Chicago (Wrigleyville) and worked downtown for two years over twenty ago and don’t believe I ventured further south than Manny’s on Jefferson.

Update 1: I just picked my daughter up from her after school MUN Club meeting and all the kids are coming from out of town are staying at the Fairmont Millennium Park. That’s right around the corner from where I worked on Michigan Ave. That’s probably decent unless there’s been big changes since then. BTW, What’s this Millennium Park? It was Grant Park when I lived there and I used to walk through it to get to my boat in Monroe Harbor. They want to see the Bean whatever that is. There was a Flamingo when I lived there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Model UN club. Sure Chitown is safe. Go for it. Great place for something like that. Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
U of Chicago campus is not in a good area. There is video of a student being mugged at gunpoint the other day, luckily she got control of the gun without getting hurt.

I would stay in a better area downtown, and take a Taxi or Uber to U of C each day. I would not take the L.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^I saw that. It’s actually how I found out my daughter’s club’s plans. We were talking about good schools for my daughter’s interests. I mentioned some of the really good schools were in lousy areas and used that as an example. That’s when she told me where they were going.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Model UN club. Sure Chitown is safe. Go for it. Great place for something like that. Razz

Big Grin They'll just negotiate their way out. When they went to the MUN event in NYC at NYU this past year, one of the kids in the group got his wallet stolen. Welcome to New York.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obama made it out.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Obama made it out.

yeah, too bad for the rest of us.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post