SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is dissent welcome in your thread?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is dissent welcome in your thread? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I’m just wondering where everyone’s mind is as I many times don’t know if a comment is unwelcome.

Now of course without specifics most will say they invite an opposing view but that’s just not usually the case. I guess the only way to ask is for you to think about your last post and if someone came in with a completely different view, do you welcome that or not? Can we calmly discuss hard matters without direct insults or implications? Do you block people or attempt to convince them of your position?

Thanks for indulging me.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I think for the most part, we're all open to discussion, even if viewpoints differ.

There's a lot to be learned from open discussion, including learning who's hardheaded. Wink

To be fair, the questions I ask here far outnumber the contributions I make. Given that, my answer to your question (broadly) is yes. I welcome the dissent, because it's more opportunity for learning.

- - - - -

ETA: I haven't yet blocked anyone, though I've wanted to. I talk myself out of it thinking, if I block them, then there's some learning I'm missing out on. (Even if it's only, "that guy's a hardhead." Big Grin )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
… including learning who's hardheaded. Wink
It’s me! Smile

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If somebody posts an open-ended question I assume dissent is, if not welcome, not strictly unwanted, either.

But if somebody posts something like "I'm interested in how to solve <this>, out of <these> options," and explicitly mentions "I don't want to hear about <whatever> or <whatever>," then it's clear they don't care to entertain dissent.

quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Can we calmly discuss hard matters without direct insults or implications?
There's the rub: What may seem to one to be insults, direct or otherwise, may not seem to be so to another.

quote:
Do you block people ...
I block people who consistently argue disingenuously or in poor faith, are needlessly hostile or abusive, or insist on top-posting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can we calmly discuss hard matters without direct insults or implications?

Of course. That's why many of us like this place. Insults are not tolerated by management.
quote:
Do you block people or attempt to convince them of your position?

I've never blocked anyone, but I do attempt to argue or convince. If you aren't attempting to persuade, why post an opinion?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sure, if it's civil, and it's a matter of opinion or they're posting a counterposition and opposing facts for further discussion.

But people who roll into a thread about factual matters with uninformed opinions (especially if they don't bother to even read the OP and the prior replies), or those who are just being hostile and quarrelsome, aren't so welcome.

I don't have anyone blocked, even those members whose posting style or personality I generally dislike. I just usually won't bother engaging with them on most matters, except for in non-contentious threads about stuff like product recommendations or recipes.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Differences of opinions are always welcome.

I can take criticism and have been wrong before.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
It depends.

If I’m asking a general question about something or commenting on something that is a global interest, of course, I am looking for a difference of opinion.

If I post a thread about how much I like Metallica or how great I thought the next John Wick movie is going to be, I’m not really interested in someone coming into those threads and telling me why I am wrong.

If I wanted that, I would’ve said, “what do you think about…”

At the end of the day, if you want to shit on someone’s positive thread, go start your own “ why you hate…” thread.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Sure, if it's civil, and it's a matter of opinion or they're posting a counterargument and opposing facts for further discussion.

But people who roll into a thread about facts with uninformed opinions/feelings (especially if they don't bother to even read the OP), or those who are just being hostile and argumentative, aren't so welcome.
^^ THIS ^^

It's supposed to be a QUALITY discussion forum which means discussing things in a productive manner.

I don't block people over differences of opinion (even the depraved people who put beans in their chili Big Grin ), but I do block people who are perpetual thieves of joy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, conditionally. It all depends upon the approach.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Agreed; if it's kept civil and reasonably friendly then I think dissenting opinions are a good thing. They have on occasion caused me to rethink my own stand on the issue at hand because they introduced a consideration I hadn't previously thought about. I tend to stop reading a thread when it turns into a "you're an idiot"/"you're a jerk" pissing match, which does happen although thankfully not very often.

I've blocked one member who jumped into one of my threads, which was a somewhat hot-headed rant, and repeatedly told me I was being stupid. Upon later reflection I came to the conclusion that I was only about half right (about the rant) and removed that block.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We have such a wide range of discussion topics here that it's hard to make a blanket statement about how far off the original topic or point of view things should go.
A post about a news article, movie or similar subject where the author/OP only wanted strictly yes type replies wouldn't be much of a discussion.

In any situation it depends on the intent of the poster or response. A completely opposite view that is well reasoned in a sincere post is fine. That's how we all learn and can sometimes be persuaded to modify or change our viewpoint.

When someone steps in with a road-rage type attitude I simply don't respond to them. I've never felt a need to block anybody.
On the few occasions when I've seen that happen, the powers that be usually step in and take care of business.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure, if it's civil

I think that is key. When it is obvious there is hard disagreement, I don't like going back and forth to try to convince someone to change their minds.

Best to agree to disagree.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Depends.

If it's an open question such as, "I have a maximum budget of $25,000 to spend on a Tacoma or Ridgeline. Which one should I go with? Why?" that's open to dissent as people pitch why they would choose one.

But there's always that guy or guys that are like, "get a Tundra. It's $60,000 but that's what I went with." Thanks for a bunch of worthwhile input, genius." Roll Eyes

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes, I always expect contrary stuff. We are a contrary group of curmudgeons, and we generally have strong opinions and believe ourselves to be correct.

However, it's possible to disagree without being an asshole, and that is what gets missed in a few cases.

Sometimes, it's because typing on the internet doesn't permit the observational cues that face to face interaction gives, which let's the listener know that the speaker's intentions are good, even if their words are abrupt.

Sometimes it's because an asshole can hide behind internet anonymity. Those guys get the ignore list, or banned.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
But there's always that guy or guys that are like, "get a Tundra. It's $60,000 but that's what I went with." Thanks for a bunch of worthwhile input, genius." Roll Eyes
That's an excellent example of what I meant in my reply above.

But... Wink A member might be forgiven for suggesting an alternative the OP might not have considered.

Example: When I was looking for a mid-size SUV with which to replace my 2007 Chevy TrailBlazer: Every review of every thing I was considering stated something like "If you're considering this, you should also consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee." I didn't want a Jeep. If I'd wanted a Jeep I'd have been researching Jeeps. It was becoming annoying.

When I finally ran out of other things to look at, and saw that suggestion again, I was "!#$~$!! OK, I'll look at the @#$!!@ Jeep Grand Cherokee."

I ended-up buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some back and forth concise comments are fine and even expected if I post something. What is not fine is failing to agree to disagree and going on and on in the hope your opponent will bend to your will.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Example: When I was looking for a mid-size SUV with which to replace my 2007 Chevy TrailBlazer: Every review of every thing I was considering stated something like "If you're considering this, you should also consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee." I didn't want a Jeep. If I'd wanted a Jeep I'd have been researching Jeeps. It was becoming annoying.

When I finally ran out of other things to look at, and saw that suggestion again, I was "!#$~$!! OK, I'll look at the @#$!!@ Jeep Grand Cherokee."

I ended-up buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Which helps illustrate an OP's responsibility when it comes to welcoming dissent: Even if you've already mostly sure about something, it helps to remain open to alternative suggestions, or to the possibility that you're wrong.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m just wondering where everyone’s mind is as I many times don’t know if a comment is unwelcome.

Now of course without specifics most will say they invite an opposing view but that’s just not usually the case. I guess the only way to ask is for you to think about your last post and if someone came in with a completely different view, do you welcome that or not? Can we calmly discuss hard matters without direct insults or implications? Do you block people or attempt to convince them of your position?

Thanks for indulging me.

I'm of the mindset that your views are your own and just because it's different than mine doesn't make it wrong or right. It's simply your view on a subject.
As for blocking, no. I don't take anything that personal to block anyone.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think a lot to do with responses is in how the post is worded and the tone it sets. I don't discourage and even encourage opposing views. That's what makes a discussion.

What I don't like is occasionally you'll see a member interject something that does absolutely nothing to add constructively to the dialog and seems like they just want to seem smart.

Example. I post something either a question or comment about an Apple product. Along comes an Android aficionado suggesting that if I had an Android the world would be right, and Apple, the company and their products are crap.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post