SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let’s talk flour tortillas...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s talk flour tortillas... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I like burritos of all kinds. No, I REALLY like burritos of all kinds!

Therefore I like to keep flour tortillas on hand at all times, but that creates a problem. If I store them in the fridge until I make them so they don’t spoil, then I don’t really know how to warm them up properly to keep them soft and not dry out! If I don’t keep them in the fridge, then they spoil quickly, and I’d still like to warm them up!

So, I’m sure we have some tortilla experts here, and I’d like to hear your thoughts on this subject! Thanks in advance!!!

Posts: 4611 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You have to keep them air tight so they don't dry out. Here's what I do to freshen them up when I make quesadilla. It might work for you. I put one on a paper towel. I sprinkle my cheese; you can skip this part. Then I sprinkle water drops all over the surface with my finger tips. Then I put the second tortilla on top. Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it's good enough for me. This works for tortillas starting to dry up and be brittle.

I suppose if you have a steamer, you can use that.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Try freezing them. Keeps much better. Separate them with parchment paper if you need to keep them from sticking.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16397 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Bill, I hope you have a source that sells raw tortillas!

Raw tortillas must be kept in the fridge because, they're raw but cook them up and they make ready to eat tortillas taste like something out of an MRE being compared to a 5 star chef prepared meal.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two methods to reheat. First, sprinkle very lightly with water, throw the tortilla in a plastic baggie (don’t seal baggie), and microwave 20-30 seconds. Carefully, take HOT baggie out and dump tortilla on plate, then add your fixin’s.

Second, drop a pat of butter in a pan (Teflon or cast-iron), medium heat pan and just as butter melts, drop tortilla in pan and gently shake pan to get tortilla to slide around pan. Flip and repeat. I do mine about 45 sec. to a minute per side depending on thickness. When tortilla “bubbles up”, it’s time to flip.

Slide tortilla on plate and add fixin’s.

Stay safe, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For storage, I use a Food Saver to suck the air out and place in refrigerator. Never tried freezing, as I can get tortillas easily where I live (Texas).

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions above, but it is helpful to make sure you make a good start by buying the softest, most flavorful product you can find. Too many flour burritos are too thin and dessicated to ever be acceptable no matter how carefully handled. For me that means the Guerrero "Caseras" (home-style) brand.

I generally toast them perhaps 15 seconds on each side over a gas cooktop flame to warm them before using. A flattop or cast iron pan works OK too.

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
My grandmother made fresh flour tortillas daily, they are one of my best memories from childhood. Nothing beats the smell of them cooking the first thing in the morning. That being said, they should be made fresh daily, good ones never last in my house past the first day. You also need a comal to cook and reheat them on a gas stove.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Bill, I hope you have a source that sells raw tortillas!

Raw tortillas must be kept in the fridge because, they're raw but cook them up and they make ready to eat tortillas taste like something out of an MRE being compared to a 5 star chef prepared meal.

We buy our raw tortillas from Costco

Posts: 13305 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Good suggestions above, but it is helpful to make sure you make a good start by buying the softest, most flavorful product you can find. Too many flour burritos are too thin and dessicated to ever be acceptable no matter how carefully handled. For me that means the Guerrero "Caseras" (home-style) brand.

I generally toast them perhaps 15 seconds on each side over a gas cooktop flame to warm them before using. A flattop or cast iron pan works OK too.

This is how the best Mexican cooks do it here (100 miles from the border). Little bit brown and crisp on the outside, but still tender inside.

Posts: 26952 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tortilla lover here (although not necessarily a tortilla expert)
IMO there seems to be no substitute for buying fresh, frequently. My wife is very "thrifty" (cheap) and keeps buying those mega paks from Costco. I have tried freezing/thawing in various ways and it JUST NEVER WORKS.

Heating: large flat pan with no oil. Medium heat. Flip it when it starts to get some brown patches. I will tolerate a little burnt. I like that flavor, but it makes the tortilla become stiff.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
You really have to overcook a flour tortilla to dry it out. Most tortillas sold in grovery stores come in a resealable plastic bag that will keep them moist in the refridgerator for a couple of weeks.

Gently heat up the cold tortilla in a pan or skillet until warm and pliable. Put in the Tortilla warmer until ready to use. Good for at least 15 minutes.

What you need is a tortilla warmer. We have used one exactly like this for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-...269&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Posts: 2716 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I just put a wet paper towel over them and microwave the minimum amount to get them warm.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
tortilla experts here

No a menudo comer tortillas pero cuando lo hago prefiero el maíz junto con DOS XXX por supuesto.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Lots of good suggestions here so far, several of which will fit with the way things work around here. Big Grin

Posts: 4611 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
We bought a pack of uncooked tortillas from Costco. My wife separated it into packs of six tortillas, placed a pack into the fridge and the rest into the freezer.

They take a few minutes to cook but taste worlds better than precooked tortillas.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preference is for Guerrero Requisimas brand (Caseras are much too thick)for store bought tortillas. The typical expiration date is almost three weeks out from purchase date which is an eternity.
For reheat either get a cast iron comal or a plastic tortilla warmer and give them a quick nuke.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post