SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Civility In Politics Won't Be Getting Better
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Civility In Politics Won't Be Getting Better Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
John R. Lott, Jr.

Politicians at Senator McCain’s funeral were bemoaning the loss of civility in politics, and Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing this week for the Supreme Court surely promises to prove that.

There definitely has been a decline in political civility in recent years. Some say it started with Robert Bork’s 1987 Supreme Court confirmation battle. Whenever it started, we seem to have a hit an all-time low. Just last June, Representative Steve Scalise was gravely wounded and other Congressmen were shot at. There was a time when people involved in politics like Sarah Sanders could at least expect to go to dinner with her family without being harassed, or feel secure in the knowledge that mobs won't come to their homes, as just happened to Trump advisor Stephen Miller.

A recent Rasmussen survey finds that 59% of all voters are “concerned that those opposed to President Trump’s policies will resort to violence.” That is up from a similar question asked during the second year of the Obama administration where 53% felt the same way.

But despite all the pleas for more civility in politics, these discussions miss something more fundamental: what is driving all this.

The reason for the increased tension is simple. As more is at stake, the battle over who makes decisions grows more contentious. Government has grown by leaps and bounds, and the decisions that are being made have far-reaching consequences for our checkbooks and personal freedoms. A century ago, federal government spending was only about 2 to 3 percent of GDP. If the government was still that small, people likely wouldn’t care as passionately about electionoutcomes.

A football team is probably going to play a lot harder in the Super Bowl than one that's playing with no chance of making the playoffs. Similarly, as the size and scope of the federal government increases, interest groups will spend more on elections in an effort to influence the levers of government.

In the year 2000, I wrote a study in the Journal of Law and Economics that found that the growth of state governments could explain almost 80 percent of the increase in spending on gubernatorial and legislative races from 1976 to 1994.

Even after accounting for how many races were contested, how competitive they were, and whether control of the legislature was closely divided, states with the fastest-growing budgets experienced the largest increases in campaign expenditures.

This point is just as applicable to judicial confirmation battles. The Supreme Court — and the federal courts generally — are more deeply involved in our lives than they were 50 years ago. The dramatic expansion of the judiciary's role can be seen by the increase in federal cases. Since the 1960s, the number of circuit court cases has increased from 21 per million Americans to 223 per million. District court cases have grown over the same period from 448 to 1,252 per million Americans.

The growth is easy to explain. Whole new branches of law came into existence as new federal agencies were formed. The 1960s saw the creation of the Equal Employment and Opportunity Commission and the National Transportation Safety Board. In the 1970s, there was the Environmental Protection Agency, Consumer Product Safety Commission, Federal Election Commission, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission. Each of these organizations created a host of new, often controversial regulations that fall under the jurisdiction of federal courts. Existing agencies were also granted new regulatory powers.

Long gone are the days when a Republican president might appoint a Democrat to the Supreme Court, as Herbert Hoover did in 1932. Back then, most judges could be expected to interpret the laws as they were written, rather than bending them to fit political agendas.

In my 2013 book, Dumbing Down the Courts, I show that the length of Supreme Court confirmation hearings has grown with the expansion of judicial power. So too has the rate at which nominations are voted down.

There's no magic fix to making our political culture more civil. But the best way of reversing the trend is to give government less control over our lives.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's no magic fix to making our political culture more civil. But the best way of reversing the trend is to give government less control over our lives.

And we do this how? By electing new, responsible and accountable representatives? Uh-huh. Yeah, that's the ticket.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:

And we do this how? By electing new, responsible and accountable representatives? Uh-huh. Yeah, that's the ticket.

“Don’t vote for Democrats.” Calvin Coolidge

Elected officials enact the schemes we have seen because constituents demand them. Our grandparents did not look to government to solve their problems, protect them from all grief or woe, make sure they had employment, cash for dual cab dual axel humongous pick up trucks, low gasoline prices, low cost old folks home for the in laws, medical care, stop ham rado operators from despoiling the views with those ghastly antennas so they could ruin your tv viewing at all hours and more besides.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the best way to get civility in politics is to get rid of ALL of the politicians

anyone who wants to be a politician is unfit to hold the office

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason for the increased tension is simple. As more is at stake, the battle over who makes decisions grows more contentious. Government has grown by leaps and bounds, and the decisions that are being made have far-reaching consequences for our checkbooks and personal freedoms. A century ago, federal government spending was only about 2 to 3 percent of GDP. If the government was still that small, people likely wouldn’t care as passionately about election outcomes.

When I was in college I took a course called "law and economics" taught by a young lawyer named Jacob Hornberger.
That's when I learned about how our country was transformed from what the Founders envisioned (powerful states, limited federal government) into the leviathan the federal government has become.

Economic Liberty and the Constitution, Part 1
https://www.fff.org/explore-fr...constitution-part-1/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Our grandparents did not look to government to solve their problems,

Our grandparents stood around and allowed social security and the income tax to be created. Had they nipped that off I think the country would be a much different place.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:

Our grandparents did not look to government to solve their problems,

Our grandparents stood around and allowed social security and the income tax to be created. Had they nipped that off I think the country would be a much different place.

Some did, some didn’t. It is perilous to put responsibility for group actions on individuals.

Don’t ever try to blame me for the doper dirt ball draft dodger hoodlum antics of the ‘60’s, for example.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
A football team is probably going to play a lot harder in the Super Bowl than one that's playing with no chance of making the playoffs. Similarly, as the size and scope of the federal government increases, interest groups will spend more on elections in an effort to influence the levers of government.

2 words:
Citizens United.
Oh, that's right, Citizens United is freedom of speech. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post