SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cordless vac?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cordless vac? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have a Dyson (past 10 years or so). It's still running well but considering a cordless vac for convenience. Quick spot cleaning here and there as needed.

$300 Dyson V8: This seems reasonably priced but not sure how good it is.
https://www.costco.com/dyson-v...tlazmue4Cns4oZfNx9la

These are priced very high ($500-600) so I'm a little averse unless price is well justified (works well, 10+ years reliable, etc):

https://www.costco.com/lg-cord...oduct.100432890.html

https://www.costco.com/dyson-v...oduct.100522549.html

Don't need long run time - 15-30 min is probably more than plenty. Just need to clean carpet well. Hand use is a plus (counter tops, etc; not just floor).

Any thoughts on these cordless vacuums? One thing we hate about our current Dyson - need to clean hair from the brush. Not sure if new models still get hair tangled in the brush.

Other recommendations?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The V8 is very good, the V11 is better. I haven't used the LG.

Haven't had too much trouble with the brush getting wrapped in hair, including with a couple of dogs in the house. Our Miele (plug-in) canister vac has much more trouble with that (but is otherwise a great vacuum).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have a Dyson V11, which has been great. Works well on hard laminate flooring and carpet, as well as for handheld use for countertops, car interiors, furniture, and similar.

I haven't had issues with the primary roller brush attachment getting tangled up with hair, but have with the smaller handheld roller attachment. But even then, all the roller attachments - including the primary one and the smaller secondary one - feature roller bars that are easy to remove and clean off, with a simple quarter-turn latch on the side allowing you to slide the roller out of the housing. So cleaning hair off the roller is a breeze, if needed.

A full charge will easily get you 15-30 minutes on normal mode. There's a turbo mode that's more like 10ish minutes, which is good for stuff like getting clingy dog hair off a fabric sofa or out of a rug, but that won't be needed for everyday cleaning. The normal mode has plenty of suction for standard vacuum uses. There's also an eco mode that will last a long time, but which dials the suction down to a level that's really only good for hard surfaces. But you probably wouldn't ever use eco mode anyway.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
We have the Tineco S11. We're quite happy with it.

linky

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10708 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay - so sounds like V11 or even V8 is gtg. Tangled hair possible but easy to clean with removable agitator brush.

Thanks for the Tineco suggestion. They tried to obfuscate but I found it's a PRC company. So, no way jose.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Just noticed the Dysan - wall mounted charging station? I can't charge this on the floor?

What does this mean - I need to mount the charging station to a wall? Where does power come from? Does power come from inside the wall - I need to bring power lines to the mount point?

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
We got a dyson V8 absolute last fall and it is amazing. It has several different attachments and lasts much longer than our old dyson. If you have hardwoods or tile this is amazing and works great on carpet as well. We can do the whole house on one charge.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Just noticed the Dysan - wall mounted charging station? I can't charge this on the floor?

What does this mean - I need to mount the charging station to a wall? Where does power come from? Does power come from inside the wall - I need to bring power lines to the mount point?

We don’t use the wall mount. We just use the plug in cord and keep it in the pantry. You can do either one, but the wall mount just uses the same cord and plug. Just need to mount it near an outlet.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a Dyson V10. Works great.

Mine came with the "dok" (LINK).

The standard charging station is designed to be mounted to a wall, but you can just plug it into any AC outlet and lay the unit on the floor to charge. No problem.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but I've had better luck and saved $$ with Shark over Dyson, Bissell and Oreck.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Whatever you choose, be sure to get one with a detachable battery.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

It comes with a charger similar to the cell phone charger, and an optional wall mount. The charger plugs into an outlet, and has a several foot long cable with a plug on the end. So you can totally skip the wall mount and just charge it on the floor if you want, using just the charging cable without the wall mount.

Or you can attach the wall mount to the wall, and the charging cable is routed up through the bottom of the wall mount to create a sort of a docking station. This is a little more professional-looking, but optional.

Either way, there's no need to reroute power lines, provided you have an outlet available within a few feet of wherever you're planning to charge and store your Dyson. It's literally just like charging your cell phone or laptop, with a charger cable that plugs into an outlet.

You can also get an aftermarket stand for the included wall mount, which is what I use. Gets you the wall mount's docking/charging/storing functionality, without having to actually bolt it to the wall. The plastic wall mount station is instead bolted to this freestanding metal stand. (This stand also includes some extra storage for the various nozzles and accessories.) https://www.amazon.com/Mount-P...id=1612050261&sr=8-5

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
That Dyson V11 sounds like it would make an excellent Valentines Day gift for my wife. I could get the attachments for Mother's Day.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
That Dyson V11 sounds like it would make an excellent Valentines Day gift for my wife. I could get the attachments for Mother's Day.

It comes with a bunch of attachments. There are a few different sub-models. Mine's the V11 Animal, and it came with at least a half dozen attachments.

posted Hide Post
I have a Dyson V8 and love it. It is our first cordless stick vacuum. We have a dog that sheds like crazy, and we have hardwood floors. This makes it far easier to “spot” vacuum when we see some stray dog hair, as opposed to waiting longer to justify getting the main floor vacuum out of the closet. The many attachments work well. It’s almost fun to vacuum with his thing!

Posts: 177 | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I like the floor standing aftermarket mount.

I'm not getting a vacuum cleaner for Valentine's Day. Yea - been there, done that. Never to repeat again. Smile

The V11 - it's more than a pretty penny though.... I hope it lasts 10+ years. But sounds like the battery needs to be replaced every few years ($150)? Not sure what usage assumptions behind that though.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Is your current Dyson still in good shape? I sold my older plug-in Dyson Big Ball on Facebook Marketplace for $200, which helped offset the cost of the V11.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Three years ago I bought a corded Shark. It let the magic smoke out after about two years.

I decided to try a handheld cordless and got the Dyson V-11 (purple, turbo model I think). Works great, but it did quit working at all after only light use for ~6 months.

This is one of the places I researched before I bought the Dyson...
https://www.youtube.com/c/VacuumWars/videos

A couple minutes spent on their support site and a couple easy prompts to test it, and a new complete power unit was on its way. Easy Peasy. All I had to do was switch the battery and filters over, two screws IIRC. Don't even need to return the failed unit, I saved it for spare parts, like a broken case, handle or etc.

We use the wall hanger, it works really nice, just hang it back up when done and it recharges. But you don't have to use it at all if you don't want to. The vac comes with a wall wort and wire to plug into the vac to charge it. The wall hanger is just a plastic mount. You insert the regular charge cord into so that it gets held in place to automatically plug in when you drop the vac on it.

They were running a deal when I bought mine... we got a box full of extra accessories for free if you buy from Dyson online direct vs from Amazon.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
We got a dyson V8 absolute last fall and it is amazing. It has several different attachments and lasts much longer than our old dyson. If you have hardwoods or tile this is amazing and works great on carpet as well. We can do the whole house on one charge.
I would have typed the same thing if you hadn't.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at the V11 and IIRC Costco will have it discounted at least $100 off beginning somewhere around 2/3.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post