SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outdoor Wired Security Cameras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoor Wired Security Cameras Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I want to upgrade my security system. I have these cameras mounted around the exterior of the house. They are hard wired into a power supply and analog DVR inside the house.

They are fairly low-res compared to current state of the art and don't pan, tilt or zoom, and I wanted to look into upgrading, but the new one needs to be compatible with the existing wiring because rewiring is beyond my capabilities. I also don't want wireless cameras because I don't like the idea of the cameras being dependent on the state of power and wifi.

Any recommendations?

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I believe there have been quite a few threads on this topic. I've got Hikvision cameras with NVR. The system is OK, expensive and I probably do not have it set up optimally.

I think the options you have to select from will depend on what connections and cable type you have. Mine are CAT5, but your's might be different (BNC?).

Unless you're sitting there monitoring the cameras, I would forgo the pan, tilt and zoom. Just set it and forget it. IR would be more important for night.

I agree on not going wireless, unless you need to set up something that can be moved around the house.

Sorry I probably can not be of more help.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I have BNC cabling. It's not Power-over-Ethernet. The DVR is ethernet cabled to my router for remote access, but the cameras are not ethernet cabled.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Upgrading is dependent on your DVR.
Assuming this is an analog CCTV system.
These systems are not universally compatible with others.
Most are either TVI or CDI and cameras are not interchangeable.
Older systems (DVR part) may not be able to understand and accommodate upgraded versions that now support higher resolutions and/or additional camera features.
But they might - so check with your DVR manufacturer for details.
Many newer CCTV (analog) systems now are also able to use some IP cameras and newer HD-Analog cams - but all is dependent on the DVR.
An IP camera only system use a universal standard (ONVIF) that makes them all compatible with each other and computer systems.
So I would stick with your same manf for info on upgrade info (if at all).

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post