SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinions requested - job recruiter / offer / ethics related
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions requested - job recruiter / offer / ethics related Login/Join 
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
seemed that they wanted me available for their every beck and call with no respect for my position. Anyway after two different interviews totaling 7 hours I was offered the position. However at the time of the offer, they didn’t have relocation information available so I didn’t have the whole package to review. While waiting for the relo information I countered the salary. Initially, it seemed to be taken pretty well and didn’t “put them off”. To make this as short as possible I was told they would be in contact last Friday regarding the counter offer...not a peep. Near the end of Monday, I emailed the recruiter asking if she had been able to find out anything and got a response asking if I was able to discuss Tuesday. I stated that I could but it needed to be at 0800 (they are an hour ahead, 0900 doesn’t seem unreasonable) or after 1700. The response was that

My wife and I have made the corporate move from KPMG to Wamu To Russel To Chase To etc etc etc. My wife specifically has been heavily recruited. we have long distance relocated 5 times for different companies.

1) The person who initiates contact after the negotiations have started looses. Plain and simple. Wait, wait more, wait even more. Do not initiate contact after your counter. They need to come to you, if you go to them they will not accept the counter.

2) Corporate hirings for local transitions job to job company to company take 3-6 months of scheduling. This is part of the reason In house hiring is often preferred. They only take 2-3 months. Outside hires at higher or specific skill levels are a bitch. This gets bumped to 6-9 months for long distance hires. Our last transition started in January, accepted at the end of July, started in September. That is with my wife being recruited by four Senior VP's. Be patient. then be more patient.

3) Home relo packages are a bitch to get, assign, clear and negotiate. Not only have we had 5 ourselves, but my wife has put together a half dozen on the offer side of the hiring process. Minimum they take 2 weeks to compile, 2 more weeks to get through hr, 2 weeks to get through legal, than 2 weeks to get a response from your moving facilitator. Some times you will be offered cash payout you figure out the move, some times they cover everything in the move. We have done both equally. It really comes down to the type of move you are doing. Look closely at the home sale clauses. We typically push for one of two. (yes relo packages are negotiable more so than pay or hiring bonuses and often more lucrative to you) Either get a guaranteed buy out of your house after x number of days at the listed price given certain conditions or Get x % back for selling the home within x days of listing. We received 6% back for having a signed offer on our CT home in 30days. They paid realtor fees on top of that. Our first house in Portland was almost purchased at the full asking price by the by out clause after 90days. We had a buyer walk in and offer full price. So both have their benefits. look for clauses to pay your realtor fees if you rent your previous residence out for up to 2-3 years after you move.

4) read the packages carefully, make note of who your contacts are for the new company, transition relo coordinator, and both real estate agents in both places. Home relo's typically only come into play over 500 miles. Our last two relos were from Seattle to Norwalk ct in 2011, and from it to VA in 2014. we have 2 kids, dog, 3 cars etc. the move from Seattle was just over 140k not counting realtor fees. In that, it included 9 months of temp housing (x dollars a month). The relo to VA from it was well over 200k counting realtor fees, 6% kickback, temp living for 6 months (we used 2, took the rest as cash) realtor fees on the purchase. Storage, delivery, install of home goods.

The thing I stress the most is be patient. this is a 1-year long process. If any of you are thinking of a long distance relo with families. Start the repairs on the home before interviewing. Get that knocked out of the way. Then once you have accepted an interview and have an offer. Get serious about waiting, playing your cards right and negotiating the hell out of it. I have lived in MT, AK, Or, Wa, Ct, Va, my wife can add CA to that. The world is too small to live in one place. See it all.

Don't get too worried about how they are treating you now. The issue is that the hiring manager is not the one to put the offer together. So let me break it down.

The hiring manager has their own workload plus hiring you. they make you an offer based on what their FTE headcount allows. That offer is a stock package put out by HR.
HR has its own workload plus hiring you via the hiring manager with his workload.
Once the Hiring manager has HR stock offer, he has to take it to his boss and get the budget approval for a relo package.
That boss often has to go to his, to his, to the CFO. (not a big thing in large corps it is pretty standard) all of those people have their own workload + hiring you for this position. There are days in between for each response. Holidays count also, people have kids, kids are out on holidays, things get pushed back. You will never get paperwork on a Monday or Friday. You will never get paperwork on a day before a holiday weekend or the day after. just not going to happen they have enough work deadlines.

Once the Hiring manager gets approval for a relo, your offer is now no longer out of the box HR offer. So HR has to get with the relocation provider, and legal to sort out the offer details. These folks, you guessed it has their own workload on top of hiring you. Once they hear back they will present the offer to the hiring manager who, you guessed it have more work because he still has not had you start yet. Once you counter it speeds up a bit, it will go hiring a manager to HR and his boss, From there yes or no, if yes it goes to relo corp, and legal, back to HR back to hiring manager then to you.

DGrouse, I just can't help but wonder what is it that you do that puts you in such high demand that a company is willing to move you across the country.

It’s much more common than you’d think.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
DGrouse is selling it straight.

How HR treats you has nothing to do with how your work conditions will be. HR's in general suck at most everything and often hires / fires can be an IF-THEN flowchart of things that are well outside yours and HR's control.

HR is busy, as are companies. I work / own a small company and if I spent my time responding to resumes / questions / etc I would get nothing at all done. Granted, you should have gotten a call back saying "it's being considered", but often times they don't know or don't want to talk to you.

And often if they are no longer interested, you will hear nothing. Just the rules of the game, too much liability in a conversation that buys them nothing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaThGr82:

I understand that it happens for "C-level" people. But in DGrouse's case, the company has shelled out $140K and hasn't made a penny off the person yet.

I'm not being critical of DGrouse or anyone else. I'm just really curious as to how the business case for this works.

For all I know DGrouse and/or his wife could have C-level jobs.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife reminded me that now hr is so successful and make work they have delegated hiring offers to in house recruiters.

So the flow chart goes:
Hiring manager uses fte to get stock package offer from hr.
Hr gives recuiter package. Recruiter meets with hiring manager for job description classification. Compiles interviews sets all that up. Once they make a candidate an offer the take any counters to hr, hr goes to hiting manager. Then that process i listed above is entered. Just with a in house recruiter between hr, hiring manager,legal,and you.

As for my wife. Well she is one smart cookie. She specialized in banking as an ausitor, professional practices, certified financial analyst, aml (anti money laundering) etc etc. <professional derby bad ass>

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
To me business is business and personal is personal. Don't take personal offense - bide your time and let them come to you. DSGrouse has done a good job of explaining the process at larger companies. If you want out of your present situation and the position and the managers you have spoken with seem like a good fit, just bide your time and let the process play out and make your decision when all the cards are on the table.

I made a move last summer and just negotiated a dollar figure on the relo. They offered a number, I added 50% to it and they accepted.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by MaThGr82:

I understand that it happens for "C-level" people. But in DGrouse's case, the company has shelled out $140K and hasn't made a penny off the person yet.

I'm not being critical of DGrouse or anyone else. I'm just really curious as to how the business case for this works.

For all I know DGrouse and/or his wife could have C-level jobs.

In my wifes case it was for specialized knowlege. Wells, US, BoA,Chase, Wamu, Russel all had specific needs for professional practice. Ie the people who design the work flow for internal audit and interact with different regulators. While most banks have some form of of P.P. group, most are based off the processes my wife designed at Wamu. Now that 20ish years have gone by the designs and need for a ground up P.P. group has waned. Banks are seeing that same kind of need for a policy wonk in anti-money laundering section. So, that is where she is now.

Typically any type of relo comes with a commitment. Usually a year. Sometimes you can negotiate a 2nd year for increased moving bennifits if the offer does not have what you need.

At my wifes level, there might be 5 -7 people who are doing what she did for P.P. most use some variation of the p.p.g work flow she designed. None have the years of exp she did. Not many are as experience at policy wonking as she is. So, as she wrapped up one ppg group at one bank, we moved to another.

PPG came about because of SoX, world comm, enron. With the focus turning to hackers, data loss, machine learning , human traficing, drugs, all those thing are tentively under the pervue of Anti Money laundering groups in most major corps. Hence the transition to there.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn double post.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hiring manager has their own workload plus hiring you. they make you an offer based on what their FTE headcount allows. That offer is a stock package put out by HR.
HR has its own workload plus hiring you via the hiring manager with his workload.
Once the Hiring manager has HR stock offer, he has to take it to his boss and get the budget approval for a relo package.
That boss often has to go to his, to his, to the CFO. (not a big thing in large corps it is pretty standard) all of those people have their own workload + hiring you for this position. There are days in between for each response. Holidays count also, people have kids, kids are out on holidays, things get pushed back. You will never get paperwork on a Monday or Friday. You will never get paperwork on a day before a holiday weekend or the day after. just not going to happen they have enough work deadlines.

Once the Hiring manager gets approval for a relo, your offer is now no longer out of the box HR offer. So HR has to get with the relocation provider, and legal to sort out the offer details. These folks, you guessed it has their own workload on top of hiring you. Once they hear back they will present the offer to the hiring manager who, you guessed it have more work because he still has not had you start yet. Once you counter it speeds up a bit, it will go hiring a manager to HR and his boss, From there yes or no, if yes it goes to relo corp, and legal, back to HR back to hiring manager then to you.

Yes that! And if one of those people have a major issue pop up, then it takes even longer. I had a harassment claim not that long ago. I had to drop everything I was doing and make sure I managed it hard so we didn't get sued and so that the victim was treated properly and protected. Nothing else mattered for a few days when that happened.

Also, our company does not relocate people. We have no experience with it, so if someone asked for that, it would take some research on our end to know what was proper.

I can tell you that I get several applicants for a job and set up interviews with the resumes I think I are strongest. So let's say I've got 10 applications, I'll set up the top 3 for interviews. First guy is a dud, second guy is fairly solid and the third guy is ok, but not an all star. Depending on the position, I might make number 2 an offer. If number 2 comes back with a counter and I thought my offer was the proper one for the job, I might set up some more interviews to see if I can find someone better for the money he/she is asking for, or at least an equal candidate for the pay I offered.

I wouldn't rule that possibility out either. If I find someone who I think will be an absolute rockstar for our company, I'll meet the counter in a second. If I think, "solid but not worth what he's asking for" then I'll keep looking but not want to tell him no 'cause I might come back to him. That could the case here, or it could be the harassment scenario, or just a shitty company.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
I could probably be able to invest time during the day it would take coordination and planning... something they never seemed to respect. It seemed that they wanted me available for their every beck and call with no respect for my position. Anyway after two different interviews totaling 7 hours I was offered the position.

Huge red flags there, IMO.

If they're treating you like this now, imagine how much worse it will be when you're on their payroll...

2 interviews covering 7 hours? Was it an interview or interrogation?

Exactly. I’ve been on enough interviews to know when to walk away. They don’t respect you or your time.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
This position has been open 8 months. They are looking for a very unique background that, quite frankly, is as common as an honest politician. I just happen to have exactly what they are looking for. It’s possible but not probable that they have other qualified candidates on the hook. And, is partly the reason why I countered. Whether they want to admit it or not they know what they are looking for is rare, and thus valuable. They need to pay for it.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post