SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How best to transfer gasoline?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How best to transfer gasoline? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
^ are you saying you shouldn’t siphon gasoline with your mouth? PSHAWWW. Back in my day we ate asbestos sandwiches with grey Poupon and siphoned LEADED gas out of ford fairlanes to wash it down.

Crazy talk….kids these days don’t even know how good leaded gas smells or tastes…siphoning unleaded would be like washing your mouth with Diet Coke, blechhh.

And we poured used oil down the storm sewer like the good Lord intended.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

And we poured used oil down the storm sewer like the good Lord intended.

Recycling at its finest you tree-huggin hippies [shakes fist]

We did actually pour old oil on the dirt road to keep the dust down, at my pop-pops farm

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Got 1” clear tube from local home store. Put a schedule 80 ball valve on one end. Close the ball valve and stick a plastic cap in the other end, then coil up and put in a drawstring trash bag between uses to keep clean and dust free. To use, remove the plug from the open end, check that the valve is closed, then pour gas into the open end filling the hose. Stick the open end in whatever you want to siphon from, put the valve over the opening of whatever you want to siphon into, and open the valve. If you are siphoning into multiple cans, no problem. Just close the valve when one can gets close to full, move the valve over to an empty can, open it back up and rock on. ETA: Of course siphon source has to be below siphon destination, but you knew that.

Sure, a good, electric, rated for gasoline, transfer pump is easier, but where’s the fun in that?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Fuel tanks are best stored full.

Fill as high as possible with stabilized, non-ethanol fuel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Fuel tanks are best stored full.

Fill as high as possible with stabilized, non-ethanol fuel.

Yup, full to avoid condensation.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
here in New Hampshire, the only non-ethanol gas I can find is at the "equipment repair" shop. It's sold in gallon cans and cost about $19/gal. My generator fills at 16 gals. Yikes!

I use ethanol high-octane/Stabil and run the generator for about an hour monthly!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course siphon source has to be below siphon destination, but you knew that.

ummm....
given this is a different set up than my old Uncle Bill's siphon off the canal on the other side of his corn patch, I'm not clear on the actual mechanics of the slosig procedure.

His rigging required running out of the canal, up & over the gravel trail on top of the levee, and down into the corn patch well below the intake.

Will have to study this a bit. Thank for a recreational choice.

Did manage to get to the Harbor Freight today & came home with a prefab set up. Will see tomorrow. Thanks one and all for the scenarios.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
I bought an electric fuel pump, some wire and alligator clamps, rubber fuel line, and fuel filters so I could syphon 100 octane avgas from 55 gallon drums directly into my vehicles.

This served me well for removing fuel from small fuel tanks as well.

Total cost was about 60.00.

Did the same setup to drain fuel out of my 50 gal under floor boat tank. Found it useful for smaller jobs as well.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
Of course siphon source has to be below siphon destination, but you knew that.

ummm....
given this is a different set up than my old Uncle Bill's siphon off the canal on the other side of his corn patch, I'm not clear on the actual mechanics of the slosig procedure.

His rigging required running out of the canal, up & over the gravel trail on top of the levee, and down into the corn patch well below the intake.

Will have to study this a bit. Thank for a recreational choice.

Did manage to get to the Harbor Freight today & came home with a prefab set up. Will see tomorrow. Thanks one and all for the scenarios.

I think he got that backwards. Destination must be below source. You cannot siphon uphill.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post