SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deer/Rabbits Eating My Flowers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer/Rabbits Eating My Flowers Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I just spent a couple of grand having my front yard redone. Removed a tree and replaced it. Removed some scraggly bushes and replaced them with boxwoods. Had coralbells and liriope planted for color.

Something has been eating my coralbells. My landscaper first noticed and told me that he might replace them with something else.

That's all well and good, and my landscaper is terrific, but just for future reference, isn't there something I can spray/plant that will repel these foragers? I think I remember coyote urine or some such, but I don't want to be extreme in a suburban community...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Human hair will keep deer from munching. Get your barber to provide the clippings and put it in soome ladies type nylons.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
In yer head
In yer head

put a fukkin'
bullit in yer bunny head

till yer dead
till yer dead

till yer fuckin'
bunny bleedin'
in my yard

bunny ded.

ded fukkin bunny. Yo.

(Dolores O'Riordan would have sung this song...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Human hair will keep deer from munching. Get your barber to provide the clippings and put it in soome ladies type nylons.

For real? I've used "deer fence" crap that smells like vomit and only works for a day or so. All this time I could have been saving my shave clippings?

Posts: 7366 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Hahahahaaaa

A 12' foot fence will deter the deer, and slow down the bunnies for a minute or so...

Archerman

Posts: 2487 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
Hahahahaaaa

A 12' foot fence will deter the deer, and slow down the bunnies for a minute or so...

This.

A motivated and/or hungry deer will eat anything and everything. The ONLY way to stop this is to kill them or fence them out.

Some things that I have found that they are not too fond of (but will still eat if hungry enough) are caraganas, lavender, and bleeding hearts. Other than that, can't help you...unless you need a good fence contractor. Wink

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Where are the deer coming from?

Plant some clover between where they're coming from and where your flowers are located, put up a tree stand, and then whack 'em and stack 'em (within the bounds of the law of course).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
In yer head
In yer head

put a fukkin'
bullit in yer bunny head

till yer dead
till yer dead

till yer fuckin'
bunny bleedin'
in my yard

bunny ded.

ded fukkin bunny. Yo.

(Dolores O'Riordan would have sung this song...)

It's been a long time since I've been scared by anything ( I ain't skeered!), but after sigmonkey's post, I became a bit on edge (yet my fears were assuaged a bit by his mention of Dolores O'Riordan...Damn, what a beautiful voice//person. Rest in Peace!).

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Use REPEL, should find it at any hardware store. White spray bottle with purple accents.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37989 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The greater the ignorance, the greater the dogmatism." - Sir William Osler
posted Hide Post
I used the scarecrow and my lawn timer 9PM to 6AM to pressurize the line. After a couple of years of maintaining the system the deer stayed away although the rabbits eventually came back.

Posts: 305 | Location: OR | Registered: August 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be following this. The Yooper deer come right up on my patio and lick all the bird seed out of my bird feeder. I go outside to run them off but they just walk a short distance away and wait for me to leave. Cant shoot since there are too many people around. I have tried some sprays but no luck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There are a very few plants that are unpalatable to deer, but in hard times, you'll find it difficult to keep them away from lush vegetation. Currently here, they're even chowing down on prickly pear cactus and juniper foliage because of the extremely dry conditions.

In Jerkwater a while back, around this time of year, a doe stomped the shit out of a lady's pug dog in her yard. When the lady went out to intervene the doe worked her over too. That doe may have been eating Loco weed- it's one of the few green plants available in the pasture now.

Posts: 26929 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sonsabitches stand right under my living room window and chow down on my Euonymus. Last year they ate my tulips right down to the ground.

Planning to cover things with bug netting this year and hope that keeps them out.

What I don't understand is that we had a pretty open Winter, should have been easy for the deer but they ate my Yew shrubs right down to the bark as far up as they could reach. Yew foliage is supposed to be toxic.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Although not foolproof, go pee, daily, where you still have vegetation. I still have a little green left and this seems to work on my deer.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried deer away on my garden and it did not work. I think the rain washed it off. I was not going to spray it daily.

Animals ate just about everything in my garden one year except cucumbers, tomatoes and watermelon..oh and potatoes.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Flip the script on them, if you take my meaning...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15607 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
If my failing memory is working, try scattering moth balls around where you don't want the pests raiding your yard.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post