SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passport card?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passport card? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My passport was expired and when I renewed i got the card for an extra 20 or 30 bucks. Glad the state of CA is such a cluster. It's good for sea or land entry but not air to Canada and Mexico and Caribbean islands i believe.

Posts: 4771 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Another bug FU from our former governor Crappy Nappy. She made a big deal out of giving the feds the middle finger over unfunded mandates and Arizona did not take part in Real ID. Then she gets appointed to Homeland Security. Did he do anything about Real ID? Fuck no and fuck her!

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I renewed my DL 5 months ago and just got a letter telling me it's non compliant and I need to come in for another one.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A good num ber of years ago South Dakota implemented steps to comply with the new ID standards. I used my passport and my son his certified birth certificate when applying for renewal. But once done the state drivers license is gold.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Another bug FU from our former governor Crappy Nappy. She made a big deal out of giving the feds the middle finger over unfunded mandates and Arizona did not take part in Real ID. Then she gets appointed to Homeland Security. Did he do anything about Real ID? Fuck no and fuck her!

So now that AZ has realized some people might actually need to use a RealID, you can get a voluntary ($25 extra) AZ DL that is an official RealID, complete with the official RealID Gold Star. You need the typical proofs such as a passport, birth certificate, utility bill to prove residence, etc.

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've had the Real ID in Utah for at least five years, and I believe longer than that. It's ridiculous that these other States haven't gotten this sorted out yet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
You don't specifically need the passport card.

Passports now come in two forms: the traditional book form and the card.

The book form ($110.00 if I remember correctly) is accepted for all passport requirements.

The card format, I think it was thirty bucks, is accepted for flights within the U.S. but not international flights. It is OK for driving to and from Canada and Mexico, but not for flights to / from those countries. So the card is somewhat more limited (not a factor if you're not going to fly internationally) but more convenient to carry, as it's the size of a Driver License so you can just stick it in your wallet.

SWMBO and I have both. The passport book stays in the safe unless needed.
My understanding was air travel to Canada or Mexico using the card was ok. I guess I will need to go ahead and get the full book form. Frown

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
They are maximizing the number of illegals to get driver's licenses before conversion to Real ID?

What is to prevent liberal entrenched states from issuing Real ID to illegals, causing us to convert yet again? Is there some federal governance which strongly discourages states from doing so?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by }BuLL:
My understanding was air travel to Canada or Mexico using the card was ok.
Nope. Card can be used for driving, but not for flying.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by }BuLL:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
You don't specifically need the passport card.

Passports now come in two forms: the traditional book form and the card.

The book form ($110.00 if I remember correctly) is accepted for all passport requirements.

The card format, I think it was thirty bucks, is accepted for flights within the U.S. but not international flights. It is OK for driving to and from Canada and Mexico, but not for flights to / from those countries. So the card is somewhat more limited (not a factor if you're not going to fly internationally) but more convenient to carry, as it's the size of a Driver License so you can just stick it in your wallet.

SWMBO and I have both. The passport book stays in the safe unless needed.
My understanding was air travel to Canada or Mexico using the card was ok. I guess I will need to go ahead and get the full book form. Frown

Nope, any air travel out of country requires the full passport.

Since there is never a time when I would be traveling without my passport, whether driving long distance or flying, I never bothered with the card. Though I am still thinking about getting one when I renew next year. I haven't made up my mind yet. It would make a nice additional photo ID that has less information on it than my driver's license while also being easier to carry than the passport.

Hmmm, I think I just convinced myself to get one.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Just renewed my passport, so I put in the extra $ for the card. I kinda like the option to have a backup if I'm abroad and my passport gets lost/stolen, at least would get me in the embassy without too much hassle to get a replacement.

Of course, if my wallet gets swiped too, I'm pretty well fucked.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Well darn. Thanks for the clarification.
I initially just got the card because my state has yet to comply with RealID.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
To get a REAL ID drivers license, I need:
Your Social Security card
Your birth certificate
Two forms of documents proving your residency
1) What documents prove residency? Utility bill? Phone bill? I haven't a clue. What about people who rent (like rent a room or students living in dorms?)?

I would imagine your drivers license and your voter ID (W2?) would work for residence but I'm not a govt geek either.
Not sure what someone in a dorm for a couple of years is supposed to do.

I renewed my picture on my DL recently. (I had one of the old ones from '94)
Needed to go back home and get my birth cert in order for them to process. They said my current DL wasn't enough.
I asked why, and they said "You have to prove you're a citzen." I said, "When you gave me a DL the very first time at 16 I showed a birth certificate. It was mandatory", which of course meant nothing to them.

I chose to not get a RealID DL because my passport doesn't expire for few more years. I drive unless I HAVE to be on the next plane to get to another state for a dying family member.
If they can hold on for 36 hrs, I'll still drive.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
additional photo ID that has less information on it than my driver's license while also being easier to carry than the passport.
Exactly!

I use mine for this reason, for all ID purposes, other than something to do with driving ("No, officer, I have no idea why you stopped me. Would you like a donut?") or firearm related (carry permit works for that).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post