SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Zombie Diseases of Climate Change
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Zombie Diseases of Climate Change Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Oh no, another way the sky is going to fall and kill us all because of....climate change. Guess we better hurry back and join that Paris Climate Accord so we can fix the planet before any of this happens. Roll Eyes

Link

What lurks in the Arctic’s thawing permafrost?

<Excerpt>

Lately, as summers have lengthened and winters have warmed, this seasonal transformation has lost its symmetry. What biologists call the permafrost’s “active layer”—the part of the dirt where microbes and other forms of life can live—now reaches farther underground, and further north, than it has for tens of thousands of years.

The newly active permafrost is packed with old stuff: dead plants, dead animals, mosses buried and reburied by dust and snow. This matter, long protected from decomposition by the cold, is finally rotting, and releasing gases into the atmosphere that could quicken the rate of global warming.

This matter is also full of pathogens: bacteria and viruses long immobilized by the frost. Many of these pathogens may be able to survive a gentle thaw—and if they do, researchers warn, they could reinfect humanity.

Climate change, in other words, could awaken Earth’s forgotten pathogens. It is one of the most bizarre symptoms of global warming. And it has already begun to happen.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
As long as we have Rick,Carol,Daryl, nothing to worry about.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Well, there's a blood test for that.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43889 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So they're saying it once wasn't frozen. What caused it to thaw the last time? And what caused it to refreeze again? Hmmm, so many interesting questions.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earth's climate has been changing for as long as the planet has existed. There have been ice ages in the past and, since we aren't in one now, that suggest a significant amount of global warming. How arrogant of some people to insist that process must stop because they like things the way they are now.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
So they're saying it once wasn't frozen. What caused it to thaw the last time? And what caused it to refreeze again? Hmmm, so many interesting questions.
They disprove their position with their own arguments that they use to try to prove their position. LOL

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
The fuckwits just don't get it. They come up with a hairbrained idea that is going to transform the world and plug in changes to computer sims until they spit out the result they want.

And we're all supposed nod and drool like *they* are the Ultimate Masters of Our Destiny.

How is the current climate supposed to be "What is right, natural and should be forever" when God knows how many years ago, the Arctic was a fucking SWAMP?!?!!
They say "Look at the last 200 years" like it's a long time.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't kill us then and won't kill us now.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of bodies buried in Alaska who died from the 1917 flu epidemic. Thoughts are if they thaw out the flu virus could re-emerge. When I was flying up there the graves in several villages had 1916-1917 dates on the grave markers.

However, I agree the global warming folks are running around like their hair is on fire. The Earth has been cycling over and over for a very long time.

An aside, while sitting on the tundra in my Bell 212 waiting on some geologists, I observed an ice meteor hit our atmosphere and "explode" into a neat white cloud. I photographed it with my 35m/m on Ektachrome slide film. If I can find the slide I will post it.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
There are a lot of bodies buried in Alaska who died from the 1917 flu epidemic. Thoughts are if they thaw out the flu virus could re-emerge.

That was H1N1..."Spanish" flu then, "Bird" flu today.
It's still been around...

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update KMitch200. I guess there was no immunity/treatment back then and that resulted in the tremendous number of deaths.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I challenge "warmers" to show me the climate change prediction or model that has ever been correct.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If I thought climate change were really going to follow their models, I would buy land in Canada and Siberia--will be great farmland when thawed!

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any evidence other than their news stories that things actually ARE melting. More scare tactics.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Love the Macready shot! It does seem that these "scientists" do forget that the Earth has been cycling hot/cold since it's beginning (long before Man)...

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post