SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me pick my new weather site
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick my new weather site Login/Join 
posted
For years I've used Intellicast as my go to site. Other than the basics it was also easy to drill down to hourly temperatures,wind speed and precipitation.
They were recently replaced by Wunderground. Perhaps I'm just stupid (possible operator error with the different site format) but I'm struggling to find the detail on the new site.
Have also tried a number of other sites with no real luck.
I'm really wanting easy access to the hourly wind,temperatures and precipitation. Use it to make decisions on golf, skiing etc...
Hate the wind in particular so I try avoid.

Anyone able to recommend a replacement for the old Intellicast site?

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
https://www.weatherforyou.com/

put in your zip code and don't look back.

want hourly...
https://www.weatherforyou.com/...try=US&icao=IRVNGPDX

(replace with you own zip code)

click on "Past Conditions" to see how much it rained etc.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The National Weather Service does mighty fine work.

You have a branch in Lost Wages, here you go:

LasVegas-NationalWeatherService-Link

A few more to look at:

Ventusky. Enter your location or zip code

SpaghettiModels No, not an adult site, a really good weather site. Look around. Enter your location or zip code.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
On my iPad I use the Weatherbug app. Everything from wind speeds to "feels like" temps.
On a computer I just use the NWS for a forecast.
WB gives pretty accurate data for planning a day. (Tee times!)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like "Dark Sky"
Plug in your city, it also accepts about 5 other cities.
It gives you weather for your exact location, radar, the next 24hr forecast as well as the next 7 days. It's pretty accurate.

For humor sake, and its pretty accurate as well, check out "WTForecast"... You'll laugh if you have a twisted sense of humor.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I like Weather Underground ~ not to be confused with the Communist Group from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor from the 1970s.

What I like most about Weather Underground is they allow local residents to upload weather observations to Weather Underground. Around my home, I have neighbors that have connected their weather devices to Weather Underground's network. This lets me find specific weather near me vs. what the official City weather happens to be.

Follow this link for downtown Vegas where you're from, but look for the down arrow and click on the word CHANGE to find a weather reporting station near your home:
www.Wunderground.com/weather/us/nv/las-vegas

In addition to current weather, they offer 5 and 10 day forecasts.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I also was a BIG fan of Intellicast, using it several times a day. I had all of my devices bookmarked with the location of all of my family members. One of the major features was looking at the animated radar map.

I was very unhappy when I clicked on my weather and got that weather underground message, and I started to panic. I looked around at other popular sites, but I'm just going to use WU until I find something else better myself or with the suggestions in this thread.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I appreciate these recommendations, as Weather.com has turned into a steaming turd for me.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
You don't mention what platform you're using.

For me:
--Android 8.0: NOAA Weather Unofficial Beta v2.9.3 (hourly, radar, forecasts etc.) (NOAA data) which I supplement with a "better" animated radar app called Raindar v2.5. (Weather Underground Doppler radar data)

--Win10: I use ForecastFox v4.20 plugin with Firefox/Waterfox browsers. (Accuweather data including radar, long term forecasts, etc.)

--Linux Mint Mate 19.1: Weather Report v1.20.1 applet which gives details like tenths of a degree, etc. (NWS & IWIN data & forecasts)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Use Wunderground daily. But of late it's kind of lost its mind. I've set it up to the local weather. But now when I try to search another location it simply goes insane. Couple days ago did a search for a town in TX. Took me to the weather page for Ankhira Bangladesh. But weather.com worked fine for that.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

I like Weather Underground ~ not to be confused with the Communist Group from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor from the 1970s.

What I like most about Weather Underground is they allow local residents to upload weather observations to Weather Underground. Around my home, I have neighbors that have connected their weather devices to Weather Underground's network. This lets me find specific weather near me vs. what the official City weather happens to be.

Follow this link for downtown Vegas where you're from, but look for the down arrow and click on the word CHANGE to find a weather reporting station near your home:
www.Wunderground.com/weather/us/nv/las-vegas

In addition to current weather, they offer 5 and 10 day forecasts.

Also my preferred, one of the local sites is 3 blocks from me for their rainfall.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I use Accuweather.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i have the nws radar and observation / taf for the local airports bookmarked..., e.g.: radar | khnd | klas.

for precip forecasts i use bing: type in city + weather.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I really like "Dark Sky"
It gives you weather for your exact location, radar, the next 24hr forecast as well as the next 7 days. It's pretty accurate.

For humor sake, and its pretty accurate as well, check out "WTForecast"... You'll laugh if you have a twisted sense of humor.

I really really like Dark Sky. Such an easy interface to get the info you want.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
AccuWeather is about the best I’ve found.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked at all of those listed so far. Accuweather seems to fit my needs best. Won't give the hourly more than a few days out .
Is there a subscription or something that gets you the hourly more long term?
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
ETA See that there is a premium but it's not including a cost or if there is one. Anyone know?

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
I really like "Dark Sky"

I really really like Dark Sky. Such an easy interface to get the info you want.

I just checked Dark Sky out. Very nice!

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
For a simple weather forecast for the current and next couple days try https://wttr.in/<zip_code>

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Another vote...I like Weather Underground and Dark Sky.

I started using Weather Underground after a friend's friend informed me "that's what commercial pilots use"...any pilots out there want to chime in?

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really like "Dark Sky"

Thank you so much....Exquisitely simple!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post