SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Too much Coke kills blacks... WTF??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too much Coke kills blacks... WTF?? Login/Join 
posted
https://www.rt.com/usa/396287-...ola-lawsuit-pastors/

This wearies me...

A couple of African American pastors in the Washington, DC area claim that Coke’s sugary drink and “deceptive marketing” are destroying their communities more than violence in the streets.
Pastors William Lamar, from DC’s Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church, and Delman Coates, from Mount Enon Church in Maryland, claim that the soda manufacturer deceived customers of their product into believing the health risks weren’t as bad as they actually are. They claim the cost to their communities has been large.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2160 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I followed up to check whether Coke or any soda was eligible under SNAP, food stamps and other poverty programs.

Indeed, soda pop is eligible!

They should be filing suit against the government give away programs that pay for the products, not the manufacturers.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2160 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
So once again LaKeshia's bad lifestyle choices are whitey's fault? Sista please........ Roll Eyes

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
I followed up to check whether Coke or any soda was eligible under SNAP, food stamps and other poverty programs.

Indeed, soda pop is eligible!

They should be filing suit against the government give away programs that pay for the products, not the manufacturers.

So are Starbucks coffee drinks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got to appreciate the pastoral poetry: "..more to the sweets than to the streets".

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Oh I'm sure a small donation from Coca Cola to his ministry will assuage his anguish.....

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
I followed up to check whether Coke or any soda was eligible under SNAP, food stamps and other poverty programs...

I had wondered about that myself after standing in line at the grocery store wondering why people would waste their benefits on Hi-C, Hawaiian Punch and Kool Aid. Pretty much anything that has a "food" nutrition label and is meant to be prepared or consumed at home is eligible, at least from what I can tell.

十人十色

Posts: 2109 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually sugary drinks don't discriminate at all, they KILL those of ANY race with equal efficiency. Yeah, Coke can kill you if you over indulge and that particular message isn't getting out to the general public for a reason. That reason being that the manufacturers of these products are well versed in buttering the proper politicians palms and the especially the proper palms in the media.

BTW, if you want a clear illustration of how bad it is just take a walk around a Walmart. Look at all those who really should have a Wide Load sign stapled to their butts. Every single one of those people are candidates for diabetes and other health issues clearly linked to excess sugar intake and every one of us has to pay for their treatment thru increased insurance premiums and higher taxes.

Then start reading the labels of almost any prepared drink, food, or snack and look for the keywords ending in "ose". Glucose, fructose, Lactose, and others ending with these 3 letters are all SUGARS and all do some harm to our Pancreas, Liver, or Kidneys.

The solution is simple, anytime you feel a need for a drink pick up a bottle of water. If you want a snack pick up a carrot or bit of celery. If you want you can even flavor it with a dash of salt or peanut butter. Because recent studies show that Sugar is far more harmful than either Salt or Fat.

PS: if you really want to know how bad it is read the label on a package of commercial Whole Wheat bread. Do that and you will find this supposedly "healthy" bread contains Sugar in some form.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Headline: Asteroid To Destroy Earth - Women and Minorities Hardest Hit

quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
quote:
I followed up to check whether Coke or any soda was eligible under SNAP, food stamps and other poverty programs...

I had wondered about that myself after standing in line at the grocery store wondering why people would waste their benefits on Hi-C, Hawaiian Punch and Kool Aid. Pretty much anything that has a "food" nutrition label and is meant to be prepared or consumed at home is eligible, at least from what I can tell.

Pretty common around here for people to use their entire food stamp allotment to purchase cases of soda pop which they then turn around and sell for about 75 cents on the dollar and they use the cash to purchase drugs. Very, very common on the first of the month to see a long line of grocery carts filled with soda pop.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

quote:
quote:

Pretty common around here for people to use their entire food stamp allotment to purchase cases of soda pop which they then turn around and sell for about 75 cents on the dollar and they use the cash to purchase drugs. Very, very common on the first of the month to see a long line of grocery carts filled with soda pop.

Same here. I have been unfortunate enough to have to go grocery shopping at the first of the month. Whole bottom of a grocery cart and some inside is soda.
They stopped food stamps years ago and now have the Direction card. To many people were cashing food stamps for cash, which was illegal.
I now try to schedule my grocery shopping after the first of the month.
Back on topic, I'm not a huge soda fan myself and I'm lucky if I drink 1 a week. Coffee, different story.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Are they confused about which Coke is the problem? Coke or coke?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38252 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have had a rant I have posted here numerous times. But, I'll happily post it again.

It is time to do away with SNAP. The N stands for nutritional. But, yet the money is used for cokes, Twinkees, frozen pizza, and potato chips. The SNAP program needs to go away. For those in need, expand WIC to cover their needs. No more credit card. Back to food stamps, and government cheese give aways. No more taking fried chicken, and other convenience store foods, cooking them, then placing them in the "cooler" and selling them to SNAP recipients as "cold" food.

Want a cereal other than King Vitamin? Get a fucking job.
Want food other than lean meats and veggies? Get a fucking job.
Want crab legs or steak? Get a fucking job.
Want convenience store food? Get a fucking job.

I am tired of watching people abuse the SNAP program. I see it daily in some of the neighborhoods I work in. 8 people between the age of 6 and 30 are in line ahead of me at a convenience store. They all pile their cokes, chips, and beef jerky on the counter. One twenty something female will pull out her SNAP card and pay for it all. Then produce a roll of 20s to pay for her cigarettes.
Or I'll stop in the Dollar General to pick up something quickly. There will be a female ahead of me with a cart full of frozen pizzas, two liter cokes, chips, cookies, etc. She will run stuff across the scanner until her benefits are exceeded. Then leave whatever is in the cart in the lane. Again, she will pull out a wad of cash to pay for cigarettes.

In both cases, it gets loaded into a late model SUV, or a $500 car with $7,000 worth of wheels and tires. All the while everyone in the car plays on their iPhones.

We have the fattest "underprivileged" population of any country.

Its time to end this. Do away with SNAP. Yeah, Coke and Pepsi will take a huge hit.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37197 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I have had a rant I have posted here numerous times. But, I'll happily post it again.

It is time to do away with SNAP. The N stands for nutritional. But, yet the money is used for cokes, Twinkees, frozen pizza, and potato chips. The SNAP program needs to go away. For those in need, expand WIC to cover their needs. No more credit card. Back to food stamps, and government cheese give aways. No more taking fried chicken, and other convenience store foods, cooking them, then placing them in the "cooler" and selling them to SNAP recipients as "cold" food.

Want a cereal other than King Vitamin? Get a fucking job.
Want food other than lean meats and veggies? Get a fucking job.
Want crab legs or steak? Get a fucking job.
Want convenience store food? Get a fucking job.

I am tired of watching people abuse the SNAP program. I see it daily in some of the neighborhoods I work in. 8 people between the age of 6 and 30 are in line ahead of me at a convenience store. They all pile their cokes, chips, and beef jerky on the counter. One twenty something female will pull out her SNAP card and pay for it all. Then produce a roll of 20s to pay for her cigarettes.
Or I'll stop in the Dollar General to pick up something quickly. There will be a female ahead of me with a cart full of frozen pizzas, two liter cokes, chips, cookies, etc. She will run stuff across the scanner until her benefits are exceeded. Then leave whatever is in the cart in the lane. Again, she will pull out a wad of cash to pay for cigarettes.

In both cases, it gets loaded into a late model SUV, or a $500 car with $7,000 worth of wheels and tires. All the while everyone in the car plays on their iPhones.

We have the fattest "underprivileged" population of any country.

Its time to end this. Do away with SNAP. Yeah, Coke and Pepsi will take a huge hit.

Epic rant Jones and perfectly put.
My business used to take the direction card and I saw this day in and day out. Fucking made me sick to my stomach.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have seen it in Walmart with most of the purchase being junk food. When they exceed the SNAP card, they pull out cash to pay the difference.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Well... they got a lot of money out of big tobacco. Isn't it time to go after big sugar-water?
Just think of all the new Escalade's in da hood after the settlement. Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I grew up on WIC. I get that people need help feeding their kids. But, buying them cokes and HOHOs aint it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37197 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I saw a study a few years ago which said that the sugar in Coca Cola was a primary factor in avoiding starvation for many in Mexico.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5675 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
This is simply another extortion scheme to get money from big business - wealth redistribution.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Bias.

Tell'em about Bias.

Len Bias.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32057 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

quote:
quote:

maybe,

small restaurants / convenience stores will also send folks in to buy using EBT and pay them back in cash,
since it is actually cheaper to buy when on sale at a grocery store than it is to buy directly from Coke or Pepsi,,

when I was in the business, first of the month (later changed to a 4 day drop of funds vs 1) it was common to sell a couple of pallets of Koolaid, Hawaiian Punch, and 1-2 pallets of sugar in a day,

some of the non food stamp aisles would not get touched,,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10594 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post