SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Angela Merkel got Trumped - he hands her a bill for $400 BILLION
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Angela Merkel got Trumped - he hands her a bill for $400 BILLION Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ll-during-talks.html

Trump handed Merkel $374B NATO bill during talks -- report

President Trump handed a bill to German Chancellor Angela Merkel for about $400 billion -- money he claims Germany owes NATO -- during their White House meeting earlier this month, according to a British newspaper.

Trump has been outspoken about NATO countries not meeting their pledge to spend at last 2 percent of GDP on defense. He raised the issue publicly in the joint press conference he held with Merkel on March 17.

“I reiterated to Chancellor Merkel my strong support for NATO, as well as the need for our NATO allies to pay their fair share for the cost of defense,” Trump said at the joint press conference. “Many nations owe vast sums of money from past years, and it is very unfair to the United States. These nations must pay what they owe.”

But The Times of London reported Sunday that Trump had gone a step further and told officials to calculate how much German defense spending had fallen short of the target since 2002 -- when former Chancellor Gerhard Schröder committed to higher defense spending. The bill was then handed to Merkel during their private meeting, The Times reported, to the tune of more than 300 billion U.K. pounds – about $374 billion.

Trump's colorful move was described as “outrageous” by a German minister.

“The concept behind putting out such demands is to intimidate the other side, but the chancellor took it calmly and will not respond to such provocations,” the minister told The Times.

The White House denied the report to Business Insider, with White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer saying: “No, this is not true.”

The Times reported that Trump had his staff prepare similar bills for other NATO members not meeting the 2 percent targets.

If true, the hardball tactic may have had some effect, with Merkel reaffirming at the press conference her nation’s intention to keep the 2 percent commitment.

“NATO is of prime importance for us, and it was not without very good reason that we said during our summit meeting in Wales that also Germany needs to increase expenditure. We committed to this 2-percent goal until 2024,” she said. “Last year we increased our defense spending by 8 percent, and we’re going to work together again and again on this.”

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I love it! The cats out of the bag now. Pay up or we leave. That simple.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I love it! The cats out of the bag now. Pay up or we leave. That simple.

When I was stationed in Germany (11 years, total) the word was that billions of dollars every year went into the German economy from the military payroll. Not to mention the rent we were paying for the US housing for our military, rent paid on the training areas, or the rent paid by soldiers' families who were not authorized government quarters.

Interesting concept: We paid to build the facilities and then paid Germany rent on them.

Including diplomatic facilities like housing in Munich. One of Mrs Elk's closest friends from school was a General in the German army. He ended up buying a unit in a row house, built for the US diplomats, vacated later, and sold by the German government. Nice deal if you can get it.

We build it, pay rent on it for years, vacate it the national government (Germany in this case) takes ownership and possession, then sells it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
We've been spending blood and treasure for decades to defend nations that laugh up their soeeve at us. Withdraw from NATO and see how they get on without us.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Well Damn,that explains the sourpus face during the news conference.
There is a bunch more deadbeats that need to be brought to the forefront also

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
That may be has plan or a limited involvement.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Good negotiation tactic. Start high! Big Grin

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I thought this was proven to be false?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I thought this was proven to be false?

true, false, who can keep up any more? I'm going with 'Democrat Truth', I want it to be so, therefore it is true. Big Grin

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is, as The Donald would call it, "fake news."

Or as Conway would call it, an "alternative fact."

In other words it did not happen. A quick search showed dozens of reports that it didn't happen and that even the White House said it didn't happen.

When you hear something you wish were true, be even more careful that it is actually true. Because when you hope it is true, you are less likely to think critically and apt to pass along utter bullshit.

http://www.businessinsider.com...p-white-house-2017-3

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post