SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Overseas EDC flashlight brands
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overseas EDC flashlight brands Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
I have plenty of Surefire and Streamlight products and they work great though I’m always looking for another EDC light to have as a knock around—one that it doesn’t matter as much if it gets lost or broken with use. I have a couple Olights though have lost confidence in them over the years. Anyone have any experience with either Thrunite or Acebeam? I’ve been looking at some of those offerings and they seem to be well reviewed for non USA produced EDC lights.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Fenix is go my to. A broad range of lights and they've all been solid. Great warranty too.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Fenix is go my to. A broad range of lights and they've all been solid. Great warranty too.

I'll second Fenix as my next brand after SF and Streamlight.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
olight is what I have been using for EDC last couple years.

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Zebra as it is a dual purpose headlight or handheld. Great lights. Also 4Seven is another. I have one that is approaching 20 years old. Still works like new.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
quote:

I've had excellent results with all of my Fenix lights. Highly recommended.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I have had several Thrunite lights and they are ok. I can't really fault the ones that have stopped working due to dropping but I can say they aren't the most durable. You mostly get what you pay for with some exceptions.

My lights from Convoy, Wurkkos and Skilhunt are high quality for the money while I've had other lights like Olight or EagTac that I think are overpriced.
For EDC I typically use a Klarus because I like the switches but I've used JetBeam, Sunwayman, Solarforce, Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, Manker, Lumintop, and Zebralight.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the idea of having a knock around one, when do you use your good one?

I have a Fenix E30R that has become my go to light. Its the light I have with me when I’m out and about and the one I reach for if i need one at home. There is always the risk of losing it but that's a risk with anything.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Fenix. I recently bought a Fenix E01 V2 to keep on my Keychain with my keys. Great little light and always there when I need it.

I realized 90% of the time when I'm out of the house I have my keys on me. This little light was the perfect addition because I've many many times found that I had grabbed my keys but not my edc light. This solved that problem. Again, great light.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions thus far. I use my good lights I just want one or two EXTRA ones that I can stash here and there.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Fenix, Nitecore, Olight are all good to go in my opinion.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PowerTac may be an option for you. I was gifted one. It has magnetic charging which I really like.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a thrower, Acebeam and Maratac collaborated on a very nice 21700 powered light which comes with a 4,000 mAh battery and charger.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'll be the naysayer...I've had 2 Fenik lights, a TK11 and a TK15. Both were ok, but both had their issues. The TK11 would stop working periodically and would need to be disassembled, clean the contact under the head, and then re-assembled to get it to work reliably. The TK15 had a spring contact under the head to mitigate this problem, but I've had problems with that one dimming itself for no reason, and other issues with the dimmer switch.

I keep them around for garage lights, but now have a Streamlight macrostream for EDC and a Strion DS and Polytac X for work. The Strion is a bit pricier but has dual switches and dockable recharging, and the other two actually cost less than I paid for my fenix lights, but they actually work right every time. For what Streamlights are selling for these days, I don't see the reason to mess around with other stuff anymore.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Was gonna recommend olight, but after your comment, what made you lose confidence in them? I love all of mine.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Get a Convoy if you want a great cheap light. Well made, good LEDs, durable, cheap. They're the price to feature champion for sure.

If you don't mind a more complicated UI, Emisar or Noctigon lights are pretty nice, but may be overkill on features for what you're looking for.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I don't understand the idea of having a knock around one, when do you use your good one?

I have a Fenix E30R that has become my go to light. Its the light I have with me when I’m out and about and the one I reach for if i need one at home. There is always the risk of losing it but that's a risk with anything.

I'm a Fenix fan boy and I love my E30R and just ordered their E18R V2.0 that is a smaller version with 1200 lumens. I like the idea of being able to charge it with either a magnetic or USB-C cable.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
quote:

I've had excellent results with all of my Fenix lights. Highly recommended.

I only have one "tactical" that I EDC, it too is a Fenix that I can't find any issues with after ~3 years of EDC.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post