SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    On Jan 22 TSA will Require Real ID -compliant documents
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On Jan 22 TSA will Require Real ID -compliant documents Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
Effective January 22, 2018, TSA will only accept state-issued driver’s licenses or identification cards if they are issued by a REAL ID compliant state or a non-compliant state with an extension. As always, travelers may use alternate forms of identification such as a passport, military ID, or permanent resident card. A complete list of identification documents accepted at TSA checkpoints is available on tsa.gov.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/...-airport-enforcement

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What about that most precious right of citizenship, voting?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

You need a phone bill in your name.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13410 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Voting's not a big deal like flyin on airplanes n stuff.

I got my Real ID in September when I renewed my drivers license.

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
How can you bus people around to vote multiple times if they have to show an Id to vote?
That's not the progressive way.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16539 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
The new-style Colorado DL is supposedly made to be compliant with these requirements.

I have to carry a magnifying glass in the cop car to be able to read DOBs.

They suck.

Posts: 594 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your papers are naught in ordaaaa.....

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Just renewed my driver's licence recently. Opted to not go for the "real ID" version that NH offers. I've had a valid passport for 40 years, so it's not necessary for me. The way databases are being hacked in the US, I'm cutting my loses (I think)!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Here's something from California's DMV:

quote:
How the REAL ID Act Impacts Californians
Beginning October 1, 2020, the federal government will require your driver license or identification (ID) card to be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it as identification to board an airplane or enter military bases and most federal facilities.

The California DMV will provide a federal compliant REAL ID driver license or ID card as an option to customers beginning January 22, 2018.

If you have a U.S. Passport, passport card, military ID, or another form of Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) approved identification, these documents will still be accepted to board an airplane. Federally compliant identification will also be required to access military bases and most federal facilities.

The federal REAL ID Act of 2005 was passed in response to the events of 9/11. For more on the REAL ID Act, visit the Department of Homeland Security website.

Do I need a REAL ID?
The federal compliant REAL ID driver license or ID card is optional.

If you have a valid US Passport or US Passport Card, military ID, or other federally approved identification, you may use this as your form of identification to pass a TSA checkpoint at airports nationwide and visit a secure federal building or military installations at any time. Make sure to check with the federal facility/military base before you visit to verify their identification requirements.

There is no need to rush into a DMV field office. A valid California driver license or ID card can be used to board a commercial flight or enter secure federal facilities until October 1, 2020.

If you know you will not be boarding a domestic flight or visiting a secure federal facility or military base, you do not need a REAL ID driver license or ID card.

You do not need a federal compliant REAL ID driver license or ID card to do any of the following:

Drive
Apply for or receive federal benefits (Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration, etc.)
Enter a federal facility that does not require ID (i.e. a post office)
Visit a hospital or receive life-saving services
How Do I Prepare to Apply for a REAL ID Card?
A DMV field office visit is required to apply for the new REAL ID card. To apply for a REAL ID card, you must do the following:

Make an appointment to visit a field office on or after January 22, 2018.
Provide proof of identity, such as a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, employment authorization document, permanent resident card or foreign passport with an approved form I-94.
Show a California residency document.
Present proof of your Social Security number.
Note: You can request a replacement Social Security card online.
The DMV will begin offering customers the option to apply for a REAL ID driver license or ID card on January 22, 2018.

View the list of document options to apply for a REAL ID card.

"begin offering customers the option to apply for a REAL ID driver license" because they give driver's licenses to illegals.

We will apply after 1/22/18.
Thanks for posting this, even though compliance has been delayed. Even after repeatedly checking the DHS website and DuckDuckGoing, this was very confusing. It should not be. It's really hard to find out what the current deadline is. Note that the Business Insider article link corrected a previous statement that compliance was delayed until 2020.

Posts: 18095 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Are there any immediate advantages to having a real id right now? Shorter TSA line maybe?

Posts: 4703 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Are there any immediate advantages to having a real id right now? Shorter TSA line maybe?

Real ID will definitely not get you through TSA screening faster. You have to pay extra for that (TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, Clear...)

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Absolutely nothing changes in regards to how one gets through security.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30445 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
From the Philly paper:

Pennsylvania On Track To Be Ready For Real ID Compliance By Tony Romeo - January 9, 2018

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Pennsylvania is on schedule to have driver’s licenses and ID’s ready for REAL ID requirements when they become necessary for air travel.

There are “deadlines” and then there are… deadlines. PennDOT won’t be issuing REAL ID compliant licenses until spring of 2019, and right now, the deadline to have them for air travel is this October. But PennDOT spokeswoman Alexis Campbell says the feds have indicated October 2020 is when they will no longer grant deadline extensions.

“I think in that sense then, yes, the real deadline that we’re working towards is Oct. 1 2020,” said Campbell.

Campbell says in the beginning, there will only be ten license centers where you can get REAL ID licenses over the counter. Otherwise, they will be sent via mail.

In our region, a new license center will be established in the King Of Prussia area to dispense over-the-counter REAL ID licenses and IDs and Philadelphia’s Island Avenue center will be relocated and outfitted for that purpose.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
60 days after renewing my Michigan Drivers License I was advised that I needed to get a new one before Oct 2020 because my current one (just replaced) was not TSA compliant Mad

I'll wait a bit....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38008 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forked over the sawbuck when I renewed my WV license last week.

They are going to get their money from us regular Joes. You know, the terrorists will not be compliant, yet they will still strike.

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

I think they've given everyone an extension until October.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, not having a Real ID DL will also hinder going thru visitor control at military bases.

This has been in the news for four or five years now, I say get Real ID unless you KNOW you'll never need it.

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
FWIW, not having a Real ID DL will also hinder going thru visitor control at military bases.

This has been in the news for four or five years now, I say get Real ID unless you KNOW you'll never need it.

Or just use your passport.... Even for domestic flights, I've used my passport (or global entry card) exclusively for years. Easier than digging my license out of my wallet.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I flew about a month ago and showed TSA my Department of Defense ID. They still asked to see my State Drivers license. That didn't make sense to me but I showed them my license just to get it over with and on the plane.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4018 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post