SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got a pic of a guy driving around the neighborhood flaunting his wealth
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a pic of a guy driving around the neighborhood flaunting his wealth Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I posted this in another thread:

[/QUOTE]

No mention, wonder if that is one side finished?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much I can sell a 3/4" 4x8 oak 2 sided oak ply for? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
You know what I'd do if I had a million dollars?

Two sheets at the same time, man.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I just bought a plastic shed from Costco. Now I have to go to Home Depot for 4 or 5 12' PT 2x6 and panels for a base. And I drive a Tacoma. Does that show my white priv? Smile

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Cliff notes of why the big increase on such renewable resources please?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Basic supply and demand. Low supply + high demand = high prices.

There's very high demand for lumber right now, due to the batshit crazy housing market. Tons of new home construction and home remodeling going on right now, as everyone tries to cash in on the insane demand from the hordes of home buyers who are trying to take advantage of the historically low interest rates and/or move out of cramped urban areas to the suburbs now that working from home has become an option at a lot of companies.

Then there's low supply due to a number of factors, including backlog in orders from last year's COVID shutdowns, and loss of lumber industry workers. Lots of workers found other/better jobs when they were furloughed last year during the pandemic shutdowns. And it's hard to attract new workers, or attract former workers back, when unemployment benefits are so lucrative right now. Even when they do attract new workers, it takes times to get them up to speed. So many lumber harvesting/processing/logistics companies are running at partial capacity currently.

So they can't even get back to normal pre-pandemic levels of production, let along ramp up to higher production to meet the increased demand. And what does hit the market gets gobbled up quickly due to demand, despite the significantly higher price.

(The same scenario is true for many home construction/finishing products, not just lumber, for the same reasons.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say that until last weekend - I have never pulled off the road to pick up or inspect someone else's junk/trash.

1 4x4 sheet of plywood with a few screwholes and red paint on one corner, 3 2X6's in good shape and some trim.

What a score !

2 years ago I would have driven right by it and never had a second thought.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
He probably has a few boxes of 9mm laying around under the seats.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
Our local facebook buy/sell group had a listing for used 5/8" OSB. Most of the sheets had the nails still in them. The guy had pulled a 24 x 30 garage apart. He wanted $1000. I was watching to see if he marked it down, but he marked it sold a day later.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
There's a house in my town with 4-5 sheets leaning up against the front porch. I wouldn't do that, especially now but no one has taken them yet and they've been there over a week. Nice town I guess, or lazy thieves.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
There's a house in my town with 4-5 sheets leaning up against the front porch. I wouldn't do that, especially now but no one has taken them yet and they've been there over a week. Nice town I guess, or lazy thieves.

Oh man, I've got plywood on my dump trailer! Guess I'd better start night patrols.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I just built an 8X10 ramp from my driveway down into my back yard. One 2x10x10 and sixteen 5/4 x 6 x 10 and six 2x6x8, all pressure treated. Over $400 for lumber. Pre-COVID price was $220, but I procrastinated.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Nice town I guess, or lazy thieves.

Nah. The thieves will be coming around for it eventually. They're just tied up right now trying to stealing all the catalytic converters from the neighborhood first.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I can honestly say that until last weekend - I have never pulled off the road to pick up or inspect someone else's junk/trash.

You've been living too high all this time. I practice a hobby called "highway hunting". No, to shooting or picking up critters, I go for finished goods. A few days ago my wife was driving and we sailed right buy a receiver hitch assembly. She wouldn't stop. Those things can run up to $100 or even more. So I called our oldest son to complain about his mother. He's been living too high lately, and he agreed with her. But I notice his garage is lined with all my old gasoline cans. I liked going in to work on Saturdays to pick all the ones I'd been seeing during the week. He didn't mind taking mine, he just didn't want to be seen scrounging.

I have a hammer collection, same source. If I can get off the road and stopped, they're mine. Other goodies are wrenches (I particularly like Snap-On). What I'm doing is a public service. I clean up junk others are too good to bother with.

I notice my competition is active, too. Since my wife is mean, I still mark the goodies I can't have. Why do I have more and better tools than others? Its because I'll pick them up when I see them.

One of my buddies changed jobs but had to tell me about his score. He became a Post man. On his route one day he saw 3 long guns sticking out of a garbage can. He was scared, I guess Post Office workers aren't allowed to have guns while in uniform, and worse still, transport them in govt vehicles. He figured it was worth the risk. He came out of it with a center fire rifle, a 22 and a shotgun. None premium pieces, but way too nice to toss out. All shooters.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Sadly I must admit, as an old fart the humor here is completely lost on me. That said ya'll have fun. Big Grin
I'm with you (and also old). I have seen the explanation that followed your post, but it didn't resonate.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

We get it dude - you're rich!

Correction... He WAS rich! Big Grin

On a whim the other day I thought I might build a large window planter box for the wife, built and shaped to fit an 8 foot wide bow window and fitted out with drip irrigation. Would be a nice piece so I thought western cedar... Nope nope nope. For example,1x8 8ft long $49.50. OK, plan "B". Pressure treated pine... Nope! I ain't doing that either for a discretionary project. I decided I didn't have time to do it this spring.

At Lowes and they apparently have given up on keeping the price changes up to date on their lumber. They have removed all the labels from the lumber racks. I had to scan the bar codes with the Lowes app on my phone to get the price... I guess if you have to ask you can't afford it!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Lumber will bet really expensive when the Earth's CO2 level has been reduced to the point where it is necessary to decide between trees and food. (No fossil fuel usage, no cows or other food animals to contribute.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Here I am with my feet poking through to the dirt in my shed. Must be nice!

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post