SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chronic pain sufferers..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronic pain sufferers.. Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m going to see a this new pain management MD in an hour. I so hope he will do some injections for temporary relief. Agony, I’m going to ask about the stimulator you mentioned. Keep yalls fingers crossed Frown

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7064 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Sending some prayers and well wishes your way.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Chiropractic and acupuncture.

I don't have chronic back pain thankfully, but there was one time I did a number on my back. I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to what some of you experience, but the only thing that gave me mobility back was finding a chiropractor that is a miracle worker. It took a couple of weeks, but she finally got everything back where it needed to be. The biggest help there was her being able to get rid of the tension elsewhere that was contributing.

Also, acupuncture. I haven't used it, and to be quite honest it sounds like bullshit to me. I've known some people that I trust who have had it done however, and they swear by it being the only thing that works. In your situation, it sounds like it would be worth a try.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3573 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Today’s doctor visit was nearly a total flop. Was accused of being a drug addict and told I needed to go into a detox program. I thought dudes in white coats were going to come into the room, take my belt and haul me off. I told him I had been a paramedic for 12yrs and fucking new what an addict was and he started coming around. That’s how the conversation went for 20min! For Christ’s sake I went in wanting an MRI and injections, not more Oxycodone. I’m so spent and tired right now, I just want to listen to music and fall asleep. If anyone is still reading this I’ll post more tomorrow.

Posts: 7064 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I did a search and here are three articles I found on the Life Extension Foundation site:

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...ithout-Drugs/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...al-Therapies/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...ed-Disorders/Page-01

The only pain problems I have ever had were from whiplash and I solved them by doing exercises to strengthen my back muscles along the spinal cord.

Posts: 11881 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
While my condition isn't even close to the op's, I would like to support the idea of deep tissue massage and chiropractic care.I am currently under treatment for a nerve impingement in my lower back. I have had a micor discectomy of the l5-s1 in the past and recent mri is showing bulging of the discs has increased throughout the back with significant restrictions near the L4, L3 and the original L5 location. Hydro, Oxy, vicoden and the like did nothing for me. The closest I came to pain managment to date has been a combination of chiro, massage, physical therapy,inversion and my miracle drug Celebrex. I'm on my second course of prednisone now but unfortunately this time around my condition has put me out of work.

While I may not feel your pain I might have a bit of insight as others do. It has helped me to know I'm not alone too.

Hang in there.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you sir

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a bad back for nearly 30 years as a result of an auto accident on the interstate - got hit by a speeding semi in hurry to get to CA. I’ve found Osteopathic manipulation much better and IMHO safer than chiropractic care.

On a related note, back in ‘84 I blew my left foot apart playing basketball. I broke it and also tore every ligament off the top of my foot. The force of the tearing ligaments tore pieces of bone off the top of my foot as well (similar to ripping tape off of a painted wall where the tape pulls the paint with it). I have arthritis in it and and have limited mobility. As others have mentioned, I have found that a good massage does wonders.

All in all, I don’t think you will find anyone thing that works but probably a combo of treatement to help. Good luck!!!

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Today’s doctor visit was nearly a total flop. Was accused of being a drug addict and told I needed to go into a detox program. I thought dudes in white coats were going to come into the room, take my belt and haul me off. I told him I had been a paramedic for 12yrs and fucking new what an addict was and he started coming around. That’s how the conversation went for 20min! For Christ’s sake I went in wanting an MRI and injections, not more Oxycodone. I’m so spent and tired right now, I just want to listen to music and fall asleep. If anyone is still reading this I’ll post more tomorrow.

Unless you are already an established patient at a reputable pain clinic - I think this is what we will be seeing from doctors from now on. This new "opiod crisis" stuff that's in the news every day is causing doctors to suspect everyone of being a doctor shopping oxy addict.

I've been at the same pain practice for 15 years now and I still feel like a criminal half the time. The pharmacy people look at me funny. I have to piss in a cup every month to prove I'm not selling the drugs or taking too many at once, not smoking dope, etc.

I've tried every procedure they've offered and I've been told "no" by two surgeons - so the meds are the only thing I can rely on for now. If they invent something new - I'm ready for it. But for now - the new pressure on opiods and such is creating more problems for me and making me worry that they'll get legislated out-of-business. They already came in and reduced doses for almost all patients based on some # a TN committee came up with. XYZ morphine equivalents. And it doesn't matter what is causing your pain, how bad the pain is, or how large a person you are - you can't have more than 120 or 150 MEDD..

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
SBrooks, your exactly right. I can’t repost anything better or more plain than what you did.

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:

Unless you are already an established patient at a reputable pain clinic - I think this is what we will be seeing from doctors from now on. This new "opiod crisis" stuff that's in the news every day is causing doctors to suspect everyone of being a doctor shopping oxy addict.

I've been at the same pain practice for 15 years now and I still feel like a criminal half the time. The pharmacy people look at me funny. I have to piss in a cup every month to prove I'm not selling the drugs or taking too many at once, not smoking dope, etc.

I've tried every procedure they've offered and I've been told "no" by two surgeons - so the meds are the only thing I can rely on for now. If they invent something new - I'm ready for it. But for now - the new pressure on opiods and such is creating more problems for me and making me worry that they'll get legislated out-of-business. They already came in and reduced doses for almost all patients based on some # a TN committee came up with. XYZ morphine equivalents. And it doesn't matter what is causing your pain, how bad the pain is, or how large a person you are - you can't have more than 120 or 150 MEDD..

I dont think there is a question that someone taking that amount of opiates is addicted to them, right?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Addiction isn't the right terminology for someone taking a prescribed dosage on a regular schedule.

If I stop taking them - yes, I'll have withdrawal symptoms. I would need to gradually lower the dose over time. That is called physical dependence I think.

Addiction is the term for people who use the drug to get a high and need more and more to get that same high.

I've been on the same dose for years, and I don't get any "buzz" at all from the meds I take. All I get is a reduction in pain (not an elimination of it).

Right now, my choice is living with this (and the stigma associated with it - like people thinking I'm an addict), or living with near constant pain somewhere between a 4 and a 6 on the scale. I'll choose being an "addict." Thanks,

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Addiction isn't the right terminology for someone taking a prescribed dosage on a regular schedule.

If I stop taking them - yes, I'll have withdrawal symptoms. I would need to gradually lower the dose over time. That is called physical dependence I think.

Addiction is the term for people who use the drug to get a high and need more and more to get that same high.

I've been on the same dose for years, and I don't get any "buzz" at all from the meds I take. All I get is a reduction in pain (not an elimination of it).

Right now, my choice is living with this (and the stigma associated with it - like people thinking I'm an addict), or living with near constant pain somewhere between a 4 and a 6 on the scale. I'll choose being an "addict." Thanks,

you're right. the word addiction didn't sound right, I just wasn't sure what word to use.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnimalMother88
posted Hide Post
One thing I have not heard suggested is antidepressants. Like opiates this comes with a stigma, but hear me out. I’m sure you know, but pain is a vicious cycle, causing depression causing pain causing depression and on and on. I’m not saying you’re crazy or depressed but they work with neurotransmitters that can help us feel better. It’s sometimes not apparent but the two conditions are often related.
Maybe try cognitive behavioral therapy.
Try CBD, it doesn’t make you a pot head. It’s not THC.
Lastly, exercise. Get on a program. Something you can tolerate and would be approved by your Dr. DO NOT BECOME SEDENTARY.
Good luck to you sir, I hope you all recover well.

Posts: 1338 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Today had to have been the worst I’ve had in months...since coming home from the 2nd fusion. I’ve tried to taper off this Oxy crap and man am I feeling it. I guess I need to taper even slower cause this is absolutely miserable. I haven’t had a good night sleep in three days, back pain, sciatic nerve pain in my right leg now withdrawals from the Oxy. No bueno. SBrooks is exactly right again. It is a physical dependence.. I’ve have never felt any type of “high”. Just pain relief.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Have you tried using an electronic stim / pain management device? Not all are created equal so the specific device is important. I have been using an H-Wave device for chronic cervical/back pain for several years now and it has been quite effective for me. It is great for helping address sudden spasms and triggered nerve pain as well as general pain management on a regular basis. It has helped me avoid surgery and significantly reduced medication use to an as needed basis so far. After having been on a number of different anti-inflammatories, pain meds, and muscle relaxers in the past, I highly recommend you check it out and talk to your doctor about it.

https://h-wave.com

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4414 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
You ever try capzasin cream? It's been helping my wife with fibro pain.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Good ideas guys. Thank you and I’ll look into them.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have a plate and 21 screws ru ning the length of my left humerus bone. I'm down to three 50mg tramidols a day with occasional use of a tends device. I have found that moderate exercise helps. If I stay immobile I gert stiff and painful. Keeping the a/c not blowing on my arm helps too

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Just read this on CNN:

Don't know, but sometimes people will search out anything for relief. Hope something helps y'all.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post