SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How I Tell if a Collectible Item has Gone Up in Price vs Value
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How I Tell if a Collectible Item has Gone Up in Price vs Value Login/Join 
posted
Let's take my 1981 8' Python for instance. I paid 529$ for it, it wholesaled back then for 289& I believe. Now it's worth more but the value hasn't really gone up much.

Using the above example, I considered the weekly wage a guy in my trade earned working the same hours, then versus now, and price would be pretty darn close to one weeks gross, then versus now. Higher price, essentially the same value. The same out of pocket blow to the bank account.

Do you ever try look at things like this?

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
That’s a reflection of inflation. Generally, it is not that the price of things has gone up, it is that the value of fiat currencies (including the dollar) has gone down.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
It's what Warren Buffett calls a non-productive asset, very similar to gold, or the modern bit coin. Simply put, they do not produce anything. Gold, or guns, just sit there. They don't try to lower their costs. They don't try to increase revenue, margins, etc...

Now, that's not to say I am not envious of a 1981 Python. A work of art. Great gun to fire and to look at. It can be used to defend yourself if necessary.

However, by and large, they are not great investment choices.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too look at the value of things in terms of the work it takes to buy or it verses the number of dollars. I also consider the cost of replacing something verses the how many dollars someone may give me for my something. I have a used truck that would sell quickly for an inflated price but I feel it would be costly to replace it because new trucks like it have almost double in price since my purchase but my salary hasn’t doubled.
This is why the capital gains tax needs to factor inflation. You are often taxed on the amount your dollar has been devalued and they keep raising the tax rate.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 334 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I used to look at things and think "how many hours do I have to work to pay for that?". And that would help me decide the value of an item to me.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
I used to look at things and think "how many hours do I have to work to pay for that?". And that would help me decide the value of an item to me.

That’s it. The old saying “time is money” rings true. Time is your asset. You sell it for money that you barter for other assets.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could also be looked at as a store of value.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post