SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Dad Passed Away---***Update and thanks***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Dad Passed Away---***Update and thanks*** Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
My thanks go out to everyone who has responded. It's another example of the compassion and quality of individuals on this Forum that make this place feel like family.

The funeral on Saturday was a fitting tribute to him. So he'd have something to do upstairs, I put his favorite tennis racket and the driver out of his golf bag in the casket with him.

At 92, after a battle with progressive dementia and congestive heart failure, my father passed away early Tuesday morning.

His parents came here from Italy by ship in 1911, entering the United States the right way---through Ellis Island. They settled in the Boston area, and my grandfather became the caretaker for the estate of the owner of the largest grocery enterprise in Massachusetts. Most importantly, they had my Dad and his older brother.

My Dad grew up with what seem to be long-lost values: a strong work ethic and strong character. I learned a lot about being self-reliant from him, and it kept me both out of trouble and ready to take on new and different things with confidence. I didn't have to ask him for advice too often, because I watched how he'd taken himself from department manager at a Sears store in Denver to a merchandise manager responsible for stores in several states.

He had lots of friends at work, on the golf course and on the tennis courts. He enjoyed those two sports until his late '70s, when his knees made him quit.

My Mom died in 1981, but my Dad was fortunate to later have a woman come into his life who, though they never married, gave him companionship for the rest of his life. They traveled a lot, which made him forget his bad knees and took him to several countries---including the northern Italian town where his parents started out.

As I watched his decline, especially over the past two years, I found some solace in his lucid moments when we could talk about things that happened when I was a kid growing up. That made the difficult times better.

Thanks for listening, everybody. The funeral's Saturday. Godspeed, Dad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snoris,

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family!

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, will keep all in my prayers.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
My condolences and prayers. Sorry for your loss.

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, Prayers for you and family.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. May you find peace in your memories of him.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm No Quitter
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss.
I know this is a really hard time.

Remember the good times.

Prayers for your family.

Most Sincerely,

Donna

Posts: 4083 | Location: Lauderdale , Mississippi | Registered: June 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss....it's never easy. That generation knew what hard work was and how to persevere. Thanks for sharing some insight into your Dad.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
That's a great story. Good tribute to your Dad.
Sorry for your loss, Prayers for you and family.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24063 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Genuinely sorry for your loss.

Può tuo padre riposare in pace.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a big deal and sorry for your loss.
Do as best you all can.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My condolences, may his memory be a blessing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Prayers are up for your family.
My dad passed a little more than two years ago at 89. Heart gave out. Still miss talking to him every week and hearing him say, "Kiss that good looking red head for me" when we would finish the call.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a great man.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Sounded like a good man and a great Father. Sincere condolances and Godspeed Dad.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post