SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Genesis 2:15 and the role of man on Earth (biochem nerd stuff)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Genesis 2:15 and the role of man on Earth (biochem nerd stuff) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered, if we evolved from earth over millions of years, why can't we stay exposed to direct sunlight without severe SKIN and EYE damage? I'm not aware of any other
earthly species that has a Sun exposure issue (SKIN CANCER)

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I love that soap. But I won't eat it. Though there is a popular professional trekker/adventurist who brushes his teeth with it. No kidding, brushes his damn teeth with Dr. Bronner's soap. Hmmm, I might just try that.

I like it for use while camping/backpacking. It's highly concentrated so you don't need to bring a big bottle. It's good for washing yourself and for washing dishes. And the peppermint scent helps keep some bugs off you.

(While it says it can be used for brushing your teeth, I've never done so.)

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 104RFAST:
I've always wondered, if we evolved from earth over millions of years, why can't we stay exposed to direct sunlight without severe SKIN and EYE damage? I'm not aware of any other
earthly species that has a Sun exposure issue (SKIN CANCER)

Every living creature from Archaea to Bacteria to Plants to Fish to Mammals can die when exposed to sufficient UV-radiation, let alone simple cellular damage in Eukaryotes.
All cancer is genetically based and a cancer call is referred to as an immortal cell, one whose apoptosis pathways are no longer functioning. UV-radiation can cause sufficient mutations when produced at the right wavelength(s) + exposure time(s) allowing for mutagenic effect, whether in plants or animals, potentially disrupting apoptosis.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21849 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
104, we are interesting animals in many ways. We have unique features in our DNA, which get very hard to explain, mammalian dive response, can outlast any animal, and seem to require a mean air temp of 72.

I’m not sure there are other endurance predators.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I’m not sure there are other endurance predators.

Dogs. Notably evident in the stereotypical "hound" hunting method, steadily pursuing and harassing prey at relatively low speeds for extended periods until the prey is exhausted.

Spotted Hyenas also utilize this method. (Although they look similar to dogs, they're actually biologically closer to cats. They have just evolved similar body structures to dogs because they utilize a similar persistence hunting method like dogs, as opposed to the high-speed pursuit hunting or patient ambush hunting of true felines.)

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I thought drunk posting was frowned upon Smile

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I touched my stuff, once.

I've never touched my stuff.
Well....I was cleaning it once and it went off. Don't know if that counts.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post