SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coming to San Antonio next week
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coming to San Antonio next week Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^ For perspective:
  • There are two Top 50 BBQ joints near where I live and their prices are $36 per pound and $32 per pound. I checked two other Top 50 joints in Houston and one other Top 50 in the San Antonio suburbs and all 3 were $32 per pound. Pinkerton's $30 per pound (I looked it up) is slightly lower than it's Top 50 peers.
  • The Rudy's by my house is $26 per pound for "moist" brisket (aka from the point) and $22 per pound for "lean" brisket (aka from the flat). Pinkerton's is better at every aspect of brisket and IMO worth the extra $4.

As far as the $15 sandwich,
  • The Top 50 joint closest to my house is $13.50 for their standard sliced brisket sandwich. They have a fancier version with a parmesan bun and a well known local chef's sauce for $14.
  • The other Top 50 BBQ joint in the SA suburbs is $16 for their sliced brisket sandwich
  • Rudy's is $8.50

My first time at a BBQ joint, I always get the same thing - "moist" brisket and sausage. It's an apples to apples comparison in their actual BBQ, and doesn't introduce a variable like bread (i.e. dozens different types of bread/buns could be used for a brisket sandwich).

My GF went nutty on ordering sides and I think we wound up with every side on the menu (and a large bill). All were delicious, but I was Thanksgiving full.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of OttoSig
    posted Hide Post
    Sounds like I’m going to Pinkertons.

A couple dollars a pound for good food isn’t a concern.

Thank yall for your suggestions. Any more places we can try out other two nights there is appreciated.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6320 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mikeyspizza
    posted Hide Post
    Not exactly downtown, but next time I'm in the area I'll be back. Good BBQ and nice folks. South of SA out in the country down by the Toyota facility.

Pure Country Smokin BBQ

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Official Space Nerd
    Picture of Hound Dog
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by OttoSig:
    Sounds like I’m going to Pinkertons.

A couple dollars a pound for good food isn’t a concern.

You won't regret it. I just had sticker shock, I guess. Tatortodd provided really good context as per prices.

They also have a VERY nice collection of taxidermed animals inside. It really is a good restaurant.

Fear God and Dread Nought
    Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21848 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    It's not a dinner suggestion, but an attraction I always recommend.

About 2 blocks from the Alamo is the Buckhorn Saloon. It's an old bar with more taxidermy than I've seen in my life. However, the real treat is the Texas Ranger Museum entrance is in there. It's well laid out, has interesting history, and cool firearms the Rangers used/confiscated. It's actually better than the official Texas Ranger Museum in Waco.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Southtown has a lot of great places to eat.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    If you are somewhere that has beef rib available and you have a cooler, try it. And as noted above, this will take sticker shock to a whole new level. I remember clearly the first time we got one along with some brisket and sausage at Pecan Lodge.

I still don't know what words they said after "seventy", I just handed them my card.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TexasScrub:
    quote:
    Originally posted by P250UA5:
    Or did he mean Rudy's?

I was thinking that, but there are so many BBQ joints to choose from, the only Rudy's I'd go to is the original in Leon Springs (best creamed corn I've ever had). If BBQ is on the menu, head up to Gruene and go to Blacks (its actually in the old Rudy's building and the original Blacks ships the Q from the Lockhart location). Or Texas Pride on loop 1604 near St Hedwig.

Rudy's isn't all that great any more. The chain, spin-off locations are no better than a lot of of other places. They are very average. Even the original, in Leon Springs isn't as good as it used to be. I used to really like the original (and it is near where family lived and lives) bu we were there a few months ago, and it just wasn't as good.

County Line and Salt Lick are more well known than they are good.

If you want the best, head over to Lockhart. There are three good places there. Smitty's, Blacks, and Kreuz Market.

I have heard good things about Pinkertons, but haven't been. Brisket is $20 to $30 a pound anywhere. It isn't cheap.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ftttu
    posted Hide Post
    We will eventually try these other places suggested.

Also, I watch a lot of travel videos, so we want to hit some of those places around Texas. Most are just not in the SA area.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Am The Walrus
    posted Hide Post
    Let us know how it turns out, Otto. SATX is a cool place I wouldn't have minded moving to after active duty. Wife wasn't going for it, though. It was for the dumbest reason, too. The story behind it is one of my Soldiers was stationed at Fort Sam. He had switched his MOS from infantry to something medical. He had been in the Army for 8 years, it was the only thing he had done as an adult. He was being discharged for something medical related and was told he'd received 20% disability. He had no idea what he would do after the Army as that's all he knew. No idea how he'd support himself or his family. He gets home and tells his wife he doesn't know what to do with his life and was offered 20% disability and shoots himself in front of her in their living room.

We went to the funeral in south San Antonio and my wife thought the place was dumpy. That impression of the city stuck with her and she didn't want to move there after I was done on active duty.

Posts: 13126 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Short. Fat. Bald.
    Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
    posted Hide Post
    Like I mentioned before, yes, Rudy's is now a chain, but the original won't make you feel like you're at a chain. It's in a unique spot, right next door to the original Macaroni Grill, which was started by the original owner of Fuddruckers, another San Antonio local tradition.

We do like our food here in SA! Also, if you get a chance to try some of our other staples like Alamo Cafe, Las Palapas, Paesanos, Sea Island, Willie's Ice House, Max and Louis', Magnolia Pancake House, and many others, let me know!

Posts: 1988 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    Y'all in Texas have to remember, what's average BBQ to a Texan is probably good BBQ to someone from out side of good BBQ areas.

Has Franklins fallen from grace or is it still a crazy place to go get q....

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Husband, Father, Aggie,
    all around good guy!
    Picture of HK Ag
    posted Hide Post
    Near the riverwalk is Schilos German Texan deli restaurant. Open since 1917. Good food and nice atmosphere. I had breakfast there last time I was there.

Only a short walk on street level from the nearest Riverwalk entrance.

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get Off My Lawn
    Picture of oddball
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by HRK:
    Y'all in Texas have to remember, what's average BBQ to a Texan is probably good BBQ to someone from out side of good BBQ areas.

Yes, as I said in my previous post, Rudys is better than many other bbq places I have tried outside of Texas, not including a few of the southern places. Certainly much better than bbq I have eaten in CA, or other places on the left coast.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    True, but why settle for average/good when excellent has short/no lines, convenient location, and barely costs any more?
    quote:
    Has Franklins fallen from grace or is it still a crazy place to go get q....
    They're no longer #1, but still Top 10. Unfortunately, they still have absurdly long lines. The OP would have to drive 1.5 hours, wait in a 4 to 6 hour line, eat, and drive back 1.5 hours so 1 of his 2 free days would be shot.

The Ice Cream Man
    posted Hide Post
    Smitty’s is worth the drive

Mamas Cafe is excellent- and their cornbread is one of the best dishes I’ve ever had.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post