SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Natural vs lab made diamonds
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Natural vs lab made diamonds Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Fake is fake; there is a reason CZ are cheaper.

I don’t think he’s talking about cubic zirconium vs diamond. Natural vs lab made diamonds is really an apples to apples comparison. They are both diamond in every way.

Earrings typically would use lessor quality diamonds than say an engagement ring anyway, so I’d have no problem using lab diamonds for earrings. My wife wouldn’t care either. She would look at it as being able to buy larger diamonds than we otherwise would.

I’d definitely discuss it with her ahead of time.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I am of the mind that CVD (lab) diamonds are way better than natural ones. I bought a 3 carat D color VVS1 (triple E).

No blood diamonds this way. Natural ain’t better imo.

Beautiful stone, and I hate diamonds, cuz it’s a bogus market with artificially high cost due to supply mgmt.

It took me well over 50 years to learn the lesson that when your beautiful wife desires something, I just was gonna do anything to fulfill that wish and make her happy.

She loves that fucking little thing. Women!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Call our SF buddy David Truong and get his advice on natural vs manmade while consulting the wife into the final choice.... In my case I defer the jewelry decisions to the "yes dear" answer... We are still going strong at 48yrs and counting.. But bottom line is you have to live with her. ........................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If you don't know if you should tell her you already know to buy the real thing.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Honestly. Find somewhere local that sells them. Take her by and show her what she gets for the money with a CVD vs what she gets with a ground diamond.

I bet it swings her vote towards a CVD. Then you can use the difference to get her a pair of earrings as well or a new Sig for you.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate diamonds, cuz it’s a bogus market with artificially high cost due to supply mgmt.

I have bought and sold jewelry since middle school, and this is where I fall when it comes to personally owned items. One exception being investment grade diamonds, either colored or large and high grade.

From an investment standpoint, and in my opinion, natural colored stones are a better choice. I could put a $5,000 diamond next to a $50,000 sapphire, and most people would choose the diamond as the most valuable.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looking around online it appears the price difference for lab vs natural for an equal size and cut is 50% or more.
I never look at jewelry as any sort of investment. Unless there's a divorce, you aren't likely to sell it. I doubt the resale value will come close to keeping up with inflation. Go to a pawn shop and see how much other jewelry would bring and good luck selling it yourself for much more.
Sell the sizzle, not the steak is what gets people to pay up, this is an emotional buy for at least one party.
Another factor is that the market is closely controlled and manipulated by the few actual companies mining (De Beers).
Another potential issue for some, use the term ethically sourced, not lab grown. That's a real thing.
I'd also ask Dave for his expertise but this is highly dependent on your wife's values and if she is an emotional buyer.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Talk to Dave. My understanding from other jewelers is that the resale value is greatly diminished.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better call Dave

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would call Dave for his advice. Full Disclosure: I once worked for a Jeweler. The economy was not good and people were being laid off. They would come into the store with a diamond they paid 3500 bucks for and want to sell it. My employer would offer 150 bucks for it. The diamond owner would leave after telling my boss where to stuff that offer. And return the next day to take his offer. He would take the diamond (usually a ring) into his workshop, cut the stone out of the setting and melt the ring down for the gold content. He had a Mason jar about half full of diamonds. From time to time he would let me dip into the jar and get a diamond for myself. No charge! I would then take it to another jeweler who would make me a setting for it. I would then give the diamond to my girlfriend, who was very impressed.
After this experience, I learned to never buy jewelry. Especially diamonds!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Men see these questions as a value proposition. Women don't see it like that at all. Unless they are the type that have to show off to friends with the size of the diamond I don't think most women will be 100% on board with a fake diamond.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Diamonds are a scam.
If you don't believe that, try to sell one you already own.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Lab-grown Moissanite diamonds seem to be very popular.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Moissanite is not diamond. Diamonds, mined or created in a lab, are 100% carbon. Moissanite is made of silicon and carbon.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Ask your wife if you buy the lab version and give her the cash difference to spend, is it a deal?

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Moissanite is not diamond. Diamonds, mined or created in a lab, are 100% carbon. Moissanite is made of silicon and carbon.

But it is also created in a lab.
“Moissanite is a naturally occurring mineral called silicon carbide, which is very rare and can’t be found in nature large enough to be cut into even a one-carat gemstone,” explains Don O’Connell, president and CEO of Charles & Colvard, the original creator of moissanite. For this reason, the moissanite used in fine jewelry is created in a lab—unlike diamonds, which are naturally occurring."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Diamonds have a very specific definition. It’s about a carbon crystal structure. Sometime there are impurities that color them. But a CVD is no different… it’s a diamond.

And I’ll tell you that most of the women I’ve ever met always want a larger stone.

My wife was in on the decision as well of a natural versus CVD. And if she is reselling it… Something has gone terribly wrong and I don’t care what she gets for it.

They still have to be cut and polished - with a lot of variability in that … Better cuts/polish refract beautifully. That’s the point of a round “brilliant” cut.

Bottom line is it made her very happy. She loves that thing. In this point in my life I don’t care with that costs.

FYI moissanite will refract twice as much is a diamond, iirc.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Diamonds are a scam.
If you don't believe that, try to sell one you already own.

Personally I feel the same way. I do not appreciate jewelry. If it sparkles and looks nice that’s all that matters.

I remember about 15 years ago I went to sell my mothers old engagement ring for her. It had a fairly small diamond. All the shops only cared about the scrap gold value. Not one ounce of crap given about the diamond.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
What would I do...Contact David Truong! Wink

I spent almost 13 years in the jewelry industry and this is what I do now that I’m in a different field for any needs. Dave is beyond trustworthy and my wife has loved all of the pieces we’ve purchased.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3616 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Talk to Dave. My understanding from other jewelers is that the resale value is greatly diminished.

Resale is greatly diminished on regular diamonds also.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post