SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody know about auto body work, and if this quote is fair?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody know about auto body work, and if this quote is fair? Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
The side of my truck had an unfortunate meeting with a concrete pillar, the other day. Fortunately, the damage is entirely contained on the driver side door, didn’t extend to the cab, or forward to the fender. Just the door. I took it to a local shop for an estimate. The shop has great reviews, literally five stars on yelp. Also found a number of other independent recommendations for this shop. However, I am still shocked that the quote I received is about $2000. I know nothing of autobody repair work, but I didn’t think something like this would cost over $1000. Below is a picture of the damage, can anybody weigh in?

Posts: 4459 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, it is in the ballbark. I would have guessed about $1750.00

Nice detail in the Pic! Wink

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the door going to be replaced with an OEM door? I would take it to a couple of other shops and get written estimates. Are you turning in a claim or paying out of pocket?

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Probably in the ballpark for bumping, metal finish, replacing the outside door handle and painting. Materials have gone crazy over the last few years, paint prices make me gasp. Still need to allow for the lower molding and the door nameplate.

A doorshell alone, I’d have to guess about the 1k mark alone.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked in my brother's body shop while in college, but this was a couple of decades ago. Pricing sounds about right factoring inflation to the price I had in mind. Without itemized prices, I can't said if it is fair price for how they are planning to fix it - OEM or aftermarket replacement, salvage parts replacement, door skin replacement, or fixing the damage. My concern with fixing is the edge line immediately below the the window.

Estimates are pulled from a standardized labor and parts manual or software. The estimate should be be within 10-15% for the same method of repair.

*edited for additional info.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I just did the same thing and got a quote for 1890 mine was a little worse but all in one place.

I figured it would be 850 and I would get screwed at 1100.

I guess we’re both wrong.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5133 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Where it becomes a little spendier is the dents are on existing bends or creases in the body. That makes it more difficult than just suction cupping them out. Then the sanding and painting and ....

Yeah, 2K is pretty close. You might be able to just order an already painted whole new OEM door for cheaper.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’m not surprised. Body work is more complicated than at first glance if you want it done right.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That won't be considered a comp claim by most insurance carriers. That'll be an at fault collision since you hit a stationary post.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@dwd1985

You can look on https://car-part.com/ for a recycled door of the same color and good condition to save on the P&B labor. With some luck, you'll find one in great condition that does not require any paint correction for clear coat defects. This should not be anywhere close to the 15.5 hrs quoted and your door has less chance of wind noise since it has not had body work done to it - my concern with the damage close to the window. The trade off is the paint hue will be off due to different sun fading.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My 34 month old Ranger was tagged in a parking lot when someone left less obvious damage to the rear bed panel and drove away. I was going to cover it myself. When they added in the tail light unit the $900 addition totaling more than I used to pay for my entire cars, it made it worth talking to my uninsured driver claim. Went to a carrier recommended shop & still was looking at $3K+.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If paintwork is involved it never starts with a 1.

Posts: 3926 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post