SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Older people's minor pain management.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older people's minor pain management. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
This is a question for older people who regularly experience minor pains that can be associated with aging. I, for example, have pain in my hands and sometimes other parts of my body that I usually feel all the time, but which becomes more severe at times, especially when I do things like shoot handguns, drive for long periods, or anything else requiring hand strength like opening a difficult jar lid.

If you experience minor pain like that on a regular basis, my question is do you take any over the counter (OTC) painkillers with the intent of controlling it specifically? OTC painkillers include aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol), or ibuprofen. “Regular basis” refers to pain that is always present or occurs at least once daily and is severe enough to be noticed or interferes with normal activities.

The question is not about management of severe pain resulting from a serious medical condition by using prescription medications, or management of pain that can be expected to be temporary in duration such as following a tooth extraction.

(Please do not participate in the survey if you do not experience the type of pain described. Thank you.)

Question:
Do you use OTC painkillers to manage and reduce chronic, but minor pain? If so, how often?

Choices:
At least daily.
Frequently (several times a week).
Occasionally.
Seldom.
Never or almost never.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
I take acetaminophen several times a week at bedtime if I'm feeling joint or muscle pain during the evening. If I don't take it on those occasions, the pain usually wakes me and I get up and take it then.

Posts: 1463 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I take ibuprofen pretty regularly.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to listen to Bill Clinton when he said: "I feel your pain".

Always made me feel better.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes. Lifelong chronic pain, (even when young) and I have issues with swelling of fingers and stiffness of most joints, tendons etc. from most any tasks (working on car, heavy cleaning, yard work or repetitive motion), and typically worse symptoms the next day, lasting for 1 to 2 days.

This is getting progressively pronounced as time goes by.

I take one Aleve 12 hour every morning and it helps by diminishing the pain to a point that I can "block" or be distracted if I am active in some task.

I will sometimes take one Advil in the evening if pain has flared due to physical activity, but I try to avoid anymore than absolutely necessary.

Hope that helps.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have flat feet and I walk a lot at work or just simply standing a lot every day and it’s concrete floors throughout. I always start out my work day by taking 2 extended release Tylenol and 3-4 Advil at the same time. Then halfway through the day I might take another 3-4 Advil. If it’s a really bad day I’ll repeat the Tylenol/Advil dose again....it does help for the next morning.

Posts: 725 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
ibuprofen works wonders, but sadly I can't take this med due to kidney issues. Regular old Acetaminophen (Tylenol) works for me most times and is less of a kidney issue.

Maybe a bit controversial, but I also take CBD w/Melatonin and it helps a lot at night. I also have and use regular mamajuana oral when needed. Sleep like a baby, wake up refreshed with zero side effects.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I take a single ibuprofen and a single acetaminophen together a couple times a week for assorted pains. I've been taking cbd oil for a couple years now and my otc pills are almost a thing of the past.

Posts: 4829 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Yes, I don't have a pain free life. I take either ibuprofen or naproxen.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9420 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful. Liver disease is on the rise and no symptoms till stage 3 or 4. Wish I did not know this

Posts: 1481 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some a decrease in dairy products could help alleviate minor joint pain.

In my experience, ice cream gives me a bout of Inflammation lasting a few days.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I broke my neck I will wake up in the morning with a stiff neck and back. Usually getting up and moving about will take care of it. Golf helps. When that doesn't work I take some naproxen (never on an empty stomach). I have to do it about every 2-3 months.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
At 60 with a herniated disc in my neck, and arthritis in my big toe and right knee, tendonitis in one elbow and a few other minor aches and pains, I'm still able to suck it up most days. There are days though that a couple Tylenol, or Advil help get me by.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
Like sigmonkey, I take an Aleve every morning. I still exercise an hour everyday, consisting of 35 mins on an Airdyne, 15 mins of quick walking, and various weight and stretching cises. Keeps me as loose as possible.

I always take two shots of R&R at supper.

At bedtime, I take 2 Alka-seltzer and an Ecotrin. Usually sleep very well.

Hope this might help.

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Four ibuprofen twice a day.

On an especially bad day I supplement with two acetaminophen at the six hour mark.

Getting old sucks but, it beats the alternative.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1996 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Half a flexeril and 4 ibuprofen at bedtime if my back is complaining then I sleep the sleep of the just.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Don't take any daily or even very often but...

Ibuprofen... if taken proactively allows me to get through the occasional day of physical work easier while working harder... more like when I was younger.

Excedrin (acetaminophen + aspirin + caffeine) is great for headaches and I used to keep a Goodies powder in my wallet when working construction... but it's still usually ibuprofen for body, muscle, joints.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I occasionally have problems with my hip which in turn bothers that leg. The last few days I have been walking with a slight limp. It hurts. For me, Aleve PM works wonders with this.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
At 66 I'm experiencing those aches and pains. I stay away from meds as much as I possibly can. The pain has to get near debilitating for me to reach for the med cabinet.

Lately it's been the knees barking but they seem to be much improved as of late and I'm not sure why. I drink water. LOTS of water a gallon or more daily and have been for over 20 years now. I really believe it has paid off several times over. I'll admit I'm not near as active as I should be. But at times when the pains are reaching the annoying level I can work them out by doing some activity and not have to take the meds.

Drink water and then drink some more water. Best advice I can give. Oh and always know where the bathrooms are wherever you go! Wink

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I'm 62. I work with my hands every day, I spend hours stooping, kneeling, sitting on the floor. I move heavy objects daily. Maybe 5 years ago, I got smoked by a bale of hay dropped from about 16 feet up from a hay loft after which I ended up getting evaluated at the ER and having a neck CT study. The doc asked me if I had ever been told I have significant spinal arthritis.
I also train jujitsu regularly and help my wife with farm chores like loading and unloading hay and wrangling goats. So I have a pretty active lifestyle.

Yup, Ibuprofen several times a week. My hands have taken a beating working with them all these years so it's both hand and back/neck pain. I'm aware it's a gastric irritant, i know it's tough on your kidneys. Therefore i do use it with caution. But there are days when I get up becaue it hurts more to stay in bed, days when my hands hurt badly (usually after a hard jits session). A couple of 200 mg usually work wonders, 3 if my lower back really hurts.

I avoid Tylenol because of it's liver toxicity. I find aspirin is best for headaches or sore throat.

Posts: 11293 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post