SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Older people's minor pain management.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older people's minor pain management. Login/Join 
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Naproxen (Aleve) 220mg X2 daily due to aches and pains from just working my ass off all my life plus a little joint pain in my hands from Lyme disease.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Sore lower back and aching left shoulder that really hurts when I cough. I know - don’t cough. I don’t take anything. I’ve tried Aleve and ibuprofen with little relief to justify taking it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
How about "Relief Factor" as seen on TV

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6410 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
600 ibuprofen 3x's day, 500 tylenol 3x's day, lyrica 100 3x's day for 10+ years.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Funny I should happen across this post today. I just returned from the VA Hospital, 3 hours away, to get another shot in one of my many joints eaten up with arthritis. I have much more trouble dealing with bulged disc and resulting sciatic pain all the way down the legs, degenerative disc, osteo and rheumatoid arthritis which also require DMARDs. I have but one kidney left so it’s a serious affair to use anti inflammatory meds which are the most effective at reducing some of the pain for awhile. I also use Diclofenac cream which is a coin toss as to effectiveness. I consider my arthritis and extreme kidney stone troubles much less troubling than my father and brother’s conditions fighting aggressive cancers. When it gets hard to deal with, particularly on stormy days, I have but to look at their trials and my wife’s recent heart attack to be reminded it could be much worse and I have much to be thankful for everyday. That said, the pains of aging are about as plentiful and palatable as crooked politicians. I’ve found Aleve to be the most effective over the counter solution (and heat) to the aches of aging and Arthur-itis.

Posts: 6048 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not suppose to take those types of pain relievers due to bleeding ulcers. I have always led a physical life. Grew up on a horse farm, bailing hay, martial arts & cheer leading. Fitness competitions as an adult. I broke my right arm when I was 15 & it has hurt me ever since. Never was the same. Also had carpel tunnel & trigger finger surgery on that same right arm. Pretty sure I have arthritis in both hands, have confirmed arthritis in both hips, lower spine, & base of my neck. Have a totally shredded tendon in my ankle, so yes, I have chronic, minor pain every day.

I do lots of stretching & yoga, foam rolling, etc. Wear compression sleeves on my ankle every day. My husband recently bought a medical device that uses electro stimulation. It helps but it has to be done about every 3 days to keep the pain away. About 2 weeks ago, I started using a roll-on CBD oil on my wrist, twice a day, every day. It really does seem to help. Stuff is not cheap though.

The "minor" pain is really annoying. Sometimes just pushing the button to open the microwave door or brushing my hair sends excruciating pain all through my wrist. I do a lot of tasks left-handed just to give my right wrist a break.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I am 74 and have deteriorating sciatica in my left leg. It mostly affects the lower part of the left leg, and I experience pain while walking, with a cane, and some muscle cramping. The leg is also weaker in general. I can walk without the cane, but with difficulty. I also quit competitive shooting, a self-imposed restriction. I do not feel comfortable moving through a course of fire with a loaded pistol, and no cane.

7 years ago, I tried a course of oxycodone for six months. I had the expectation that it would get rid of the pain. It did get rid of some, not all, but mostly I ended up addicted and with the associated problems of having to take stool softeners and laxatives. I finally quit that on my own, cold turkey, because it did not meet my expectations and introduced the other problems.

Now, 7 years later, I realize that nothing is going to get rid of all of it, so I decided, with my PCP, to try a regimen of a less addictive opiod (Tramadol), going in with expectation that I would only get some relief. I have been with that for a year now, with a pain management clinic, and I supplement the Tramadol with ibuprofen and metaxalone (a muscle relaxant, for the leg cramps). No real constipation to speak of, with only 3oz of prune juice in the morning to manage that.

Surgery in this case is very hazardous, because of the location of the bone spur (right at the foramen of the vertebra), with surgical entry through the abdomen. And surgery would not regain anything I've already lost, so I plan to manage this pain as I'm doing now.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
How about "Relief Factor" as seen on TV

Online searches I have made for information on this product, confirm it is pure hype. When you hear people like Glen Beck pushing it, you can pretty much figure it's a scam. I've noticed with certain products like this, it's a type of Ponzi scheme. They use the money from the first victims to fund a massive advertising campaign to lure in even more people. I learned years ago that often, there is an inverse ratio between the quality of a product and the amount of advertising. I'm old enough to remember, when ball point pens first hit the market. There was a huge marketing campaign for Paper Mate pens. They were awful, quit writing after about half a day but their advertising was everywhere.
As for how much pain medicine I consume in my late seventies, the answer is little to none, despite having the usual arthritis symptoms and a herniated lumbar disc. Despite or perhaps because of being a physician, I have rarely taken medication of any kind, except something obviously necessary, like an antibiotic. Just the other day because of Covid and the naggings of my dear wife, I got my first ever flu shot. Most of the time, I just can't be bothered to remember to take something. I'd just as soon endure the symptoms unless they are severe.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have arthritis in my hands. I mainly feel it when it comes on to rain, or I have to put my hands in cold water.

I use Aleve (Naproxen) when it is at it's worst. Here's a tip. Try Voltaren. It is now OTC. You'll need to use it a few days, but it is a "GAME CHANGER" for pain management.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I take aspirin, daily, for “blood” purposes, so that was not included in my voting choice.

On the rare event the chronic pain I have gets so severe I’ll take another ASAID. Funny, I awoke this morning thinking maybe I should start taking something more often. Why should I remain in pain or stiffness when a Tylenol or Advil would probably do the trick.

I am considering CDB, btw.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
advil, usually, and not daily, sometimes not weekly,

I did take a couple Tylenol a few minutes ago, cause it is what we have at work, and doing some door trim and baseboard work at home yesterday has my knees hurting,

I have a relatively high tolerance for pain, but still take an advil once in a while, depending on soreness from the days activity,

19 yrs cutting meat, 40 yrs retail on concrete have my feet, knees, and hands hurting every now and then

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10594 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of aches and pains but so far they are manageable without even over the counter med's.
Chronic use of anything comes with side effects and risks, even if small and i don't want to add to my potential future problems until I have no other choices.
Most of my adult life has involved doing things that put extra stress on my bones and joints but it has also helped with weight management and made me more active, helping with cardio health.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you use OTC painkillers to manage and reduce chronic, but minor pain? If so, how often?

I have no severe medical conditions that require prescription pain killers. For "minor" pain that you describe, no need for any OTC pain meds. But, if I tweak a muscle here or sprain a joint there that's more than just minor pain, OTC ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) is good enough. My 99 y/o father, who is still very active with his daily gardening, takes a couple of Tylenols twice a day for his minor ache/pain.

Q

Posts: 27628 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly an "older people" (not even 40 yet), but I do have constant minor-to-moderate pain from arthritis in my right knee, since I have ~15% of the cartilage cushioning left after a lifetime of excessively pounding on it, combined with a series of knee injuries and surgeries.

I generally only take OTC meds at night when the pain gets too bad to get to sleep, which is usually only after being on my feet all day long, or after doing something very strenuous (hiking for miles, etc.), or sometimes when the weather's making a drastic change (aka "old man knee").

That's typically a few times a month, so I voted "Occasionally". The rest of the time I just suck it up and deal with it.

I'll be needing a replacement knee at some point in the not-too-distant future. My doctor initially estimated back in 2009 that I'd likely need a knee replacement within ~10 years, but so far that hasn't been the case, and it's still a ways off. I'm hoping to hold off as long as possible, as knee repair/replacement technology is constantly evolving. The new technology involving replacing/regrowing cartilage rather than installing a whole new bionic knee is especially promising.

I've held off on stuff like cortizone shots as well, as my doctor said that once I start down that path it'll provide some short-term relief at the cost of accelerating the downward slide towards a required replacement.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I am seventy-four with arthritis in all of my joints. The orthopedic surgeon wants to replace my knees and then my hips. My joints are pretty much bone on bone. I am resisting surgery as long as possible.

I also have peripheral neuropathy with nerve pain in my hands and feet. I take one 81 mg aspirin a day for my heart. I live with the pain.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Ibuprofen was my go to pain relief for decades. Really worked for me, as in miracle drug. Unfortunately they don't coexist with blood thinners so no more for me. I take Acetaminophen now but it does not work nearly as well as Advil but it's all I got now.

I found Advil works directly on the inflammation causing the pain while Tylenol works in your brain to dull the pain.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm too stupid to think about taking drugs to relieve any minor pain other than an upset stomach in which case, my go to is alka seltzer.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
my go to is alka seltzer.

I use those every now and then,

great hangover cure too

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10594 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
My 99 y/o father, who is still very active with his daily gardening, takes a couple of Tylenols twice a day for his minor ache/pain.[/quote]

Good for him, we should all be that lucky or fortunate depending on how you look at it. Smile

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take two(2) Aleve pills twice a day. For years I was able to take them only as needed, but those days are long gone. They keep me moving and doing, and I can't ask for more than that. The pain is never going to go away until I Do!!

Posts: 6719 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post