SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time to eliminate pennies and nickels and reintroduce $500 and $1,000 bills?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to eliminate pennies and nickels and reintroduce $500 and $1,000 bills? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
For those who don't ever have any cash on hand.

What will you do if the power ever goes out, or China/Russia whomever attacks the internet? Cards won't work. Bank's won't be handing out money. Then what?

Then they'll bitch, moan and whine about how unfair life is to them and demand free stuff.

No, they will riot/steal/loot

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can pay to check the specific details on these machines.

Many of them have multiple options for redemption, which can be stuff like:
-Cash (10% fee)
-Gift card for the supermarket (no fee)
-Amazon gift card (no fee)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My bank ran short on coins. Informed via email. No charge for counting coins. Money deposited in your account.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

But I rarely ever carry cash around to use on a daily basis. Electronic payments are just that much more convenient.

I don't carry cash around to use on a daily basis. I carry it around in case of emergencies or, to a1abdj's point, when there is a sudden power outage or the internet service in the store is cut which has happened to me. I walked into a local grocery store one day and everything was down. The greeter said sorry, cash only. I said no problem. People were abandoning entire cart fulls of groceries at the checkout cause they only had credit cards. And the ATM's didn't work.

But I also always have cash on me because half of the year I'm traveling, and I never travel away from home without a significant amount of cash. Having it on me simply all the time is just habit.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Id like to see the $1 bill eliminated in favor of a $1 coin...just not the Susan B Anthony that is almost the same form factor as a quarter.

Tipping strippers would get more interesting that way.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
A timely article...

Why the Digital Dollar will Destroy Free Speech
Posted on April 8, 2022 by MN Gordon

Sunsets glitter over the Pacific. Poppies bloom cupa de oro in the spring. The Golden Gate Bridge shines through the foggy San Francisco Bay.

These glimmers of gold may remain. But over the last 50 years, the Golden State’s luster has systematically been stripped away by sociopaths and egomaniacs in government.

All golden specks of responsible, moderate government have been basted to oblivion like 19th century strip miners blasted away the Sierra Nevada foothills. Fiddlesticks to all.

State officials in Sacramento have gone stark raving mad. Right now, at this very moment, they’re using the COVID-19 pretense to put forth a whole host of legislative proposals to trample personal privacy, abuse minors, bully doctors, and destroy livelihoods. Here’s what we mean…

AB1993, for example, requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination for all employees and independent contractors to work in California. And AB1797 creates an immunization tracking system giving all government agencies access to vaccination records for all persons.

But that’s not all. There’s much, much more…

SB871 adds COVID-19 injection to the list of immunizations for pubic/private school, regardless of FDA approval, with no personal belief exemptions and very rare medical exemptions.

SB866 lowers the age of consent for vaccination to 12 without parental consent or knowledge. This bill merely memorializes what’s already been happening, where schools in Los Angeles have vaccinated minors in exchange for pizza without parental consent.

SB1479 requires schools to create long term COVID testing plans and report test results to the CA Department of Public Health.

SB1184 authorizes school health personnel to disclose a child’s medical information to a third party without the parent’s consent.

AB2098 classifies anti-COVID medical opinion as “unprofessional conduct” and subject to discipline by medical boards.

SB920 authorizes medical boards to inspect a doctor’s office and medical records without patient’s consent.

SB1464 requires law enforcement to enforce public health guidelines or lose their funding.

Quite frankly, this is madness. But here’s the kicker…

If you voice a contrary opinion – like saying the risk of COVID-19 shots for healthy children far outweigh the actual risk of COVID-19 – you will be breaking the law, and subject to civil penalties…

Illegal Speech
State Senator Richard Pan – an absolute dill – has a mental fixation with controlling what people post to the world wide web. In 2018, Pan introduced SB1424, “Internet: social media: advisory group”.

If outgoing Governor Jerry “Moonbeam” Brown hadn’t vetoed SB1424, it would have required the state Attorney General to establish an advisory committee to review and create a plan to stop the “spread of false information through internet-based social media platforms.”

The plan, before vetoed, contemplated requiring California based websites to use fact checkers to verify news stories prior to publishing them. Who exactly would be the fact checkers was undefined. Brown had the common sense to reject it.

Yet now Senator Pan is at it again. This time with SB1390, “Social media platforms: amplification of harmful content”.

The bill, in short, prohibits any person/entity from making statements the government deems untrue or misleading by any means including on the internet/ads. Here’s an extract:

“This bill would prohibit a social media platform, as defined, from amplifying harmful content in a manner that results in a user viewing harmful content from another user with whom the user did not choose to share a connection. […]

“The bill would provide that harmful content includes libel or slander, as specified, threats of imminent violence against governmental entities, and disinformation or misinformation, including, but not limited to, false or misleading information regarding medicine or vaccinations, false or misleading information regarding elections, and conspiracy theories.”

The bill would also require the establishment of a complaint process…where users report what they perceive to be harmful content to a database. Complaints would then be tracked and shared with the Attorney General.

Social media platforms would then be required to remove “harmful” content within 24 hours of receiving notice from the Attorney General. Moreover, violators could be subject to “civil penalties”.

The bill, in essence, gives government the power to decide what speech is legal and illegal based on some perceived idea of what’s false or misleading. But how does government know what’s false or misleading any better than the rest of us?

Why the Digital Dollar will Destroy Free Speech
Remember, last year’s conspiracy theory often become this year’s truth. Less than a year ago, for example, claiming the National Institute of Health funded gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses at China’s Wuhan lab was a conspiracy theory. Now it is a documented fact.

Yet, under Senator Pan’s proposed bill, anyone who posted such a claim prior to the NIH’s confession would have been reported to the Attorney General. These posts would then have been removed within 24 hours or civil penalties could be enforced.

Government regulation of speech, no doubt, is the exploit of despots and tyrants. It has no place in a free society.

Senator Pan may not be a despot, per se. But he does think he’s smarter than you. He also thinks he’s a better arbiter of fact and fiction than you are. He’s not.

When government officials decide what is true or false, or what views are acceptable and allowed to be shared, whether by benevolence or ideological agenda, individual rights are destroyed.

You see, the loss of free speech in society always coincides with the loss of economic freedom and financial privacy. And this goes much deeper than California…

Sacramento is an absolute dumpster fire. But at least these terrible ideas must go through the state legislative process.

Washington, on the other hand, and in concert with big tech and mainstream media, has already been censoring free speech on social media for many years. Ideological based algorithms ferret out opinions that are not acceptable to the popular narrative.

Yet this is just the beginning. Washington is currently building the infrastructure to suppress free speech by tying it to social credit. This would be extended to control and constrain how and when you spend your money.

As recently noted, Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDC) are coming. The rollout of a traceable and programmable digital dollar in the U.S. is being fast tracked to conceal a necessary and forthcoming dollar default.

And with the abundance of sociopaths in Washington, not only will the digital dollar destroy economic freedom and financial privacy… It will destroy free speech too.

Say the wrong thing and your digital dollars are canceled.

Is this merely a conspiracy theory?

Maybe today. But, like a duck on a June bug, it’ll soon be the awful truth.

https://economicprism.com/why-...destroy-free-speech/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Tipping strippers would get more interesting that way.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I can tell you that in Canada the strippers are tipped with coins...

Or at least were 15 or so years ago.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
I keep several thousand in cash at home. Used to keep fifty and hundred
bills. Transitioned those to small denominations.

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a $1,000 bill with Trump's picture on it. The leftist meltdown would be epic.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Id like to see the $1 bill eliminated in favor of a $1 coin...just not the Susan B Anthony that is almost the same form factor as a quarter.

They've already tried that, multiple times, since the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins.

They tried it with the gold-colored Sacagewea dollar coin introduced in 2000.

They tried it again with the gold-colored Washington dollar coin introduced in 2007.

These, as with all dollar coins offered since the mid-1900s, were complete flops. Therefore, since 2011, they haven't bothered to mint any further dollar coins for circulation, only as collectibles.

They're currently minting a newer type of American Innovation dollar coin, but these still aren't being issued for general circulation due to lack of customer interest.

If you want some of these Innovation dollar coins to use, you can order them (at a premium) from the US Mint. They're still legal tender, they'll just cost you more than $1 apiece.

Or you can sometimes still get older circulated Sacagewea or Washington dollar coins through your local bank at face value.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
The US used to have a $1 coin, the "silver Dollar". I think they were about 90% silver and the rest something else. Just the silver in those would be worth more than $22 today.

Yep. Morgan Dollars, which stopped being minted in 1921, and Peace Dollars, which stopped being minted in 1935. These had 90% silver content, as did all pre-1965 coins.

The US still mints "Silver Dollars" these days, known as Silver Eagles. These contain 1 troy ounce of silver (worth ~$25 currently), but still have a face value of just $1. However, unlike the original Morgan/Peace silver dollars, they're no longer designed for circulation or to be spent at face value... They're intended for precious metal collectors/investors, and are extremely popular these days.

quote:
The Susan B. Anthonny Dollar was not liked because it was about the same size as a Quarter, and easily confused (even though they were gold color).

I think you're confusing them with the newer golden-colored Sacagawea/Washington dollar coins. Susan B. Anthony dollar coins were silver-colored.

There was also a predecessor to the Susan B. Anthony in the Eisenhower dollar coin, offered from 1971–1978.

The vending machines at work take the dollar coins. They also given them as change if you feed them a $5 bill. Sometimes I'll put paper money in, just to get the coins, since there is a good variety of them now. On a side note, those tubes M&M minis come in are the perfect size for the $1 coins.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, I can tell you that in Canada the strippers are tipped with coins...

Or at least were 15 or so years ago.

Eek Big Grin

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post