SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DST and RC clocks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DST and RC clocks Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Is there some logic in RC clocks in order to figure out the correct time and adjust for DST?

Most of my clocks and watches set time via the radio signal from CO.

I have one clock that isn't adjusting for DST this morning even though signal appears to be strong. Other clocks and watches have adjusted correctly (even my oldest clock which is probably 15+ years old).

Does CO send out a signal that says "10:00 UTC" and then clocks need to figure out it's DST today and add one hour? I'm guessing so and this one clock isn't doing that properly? I guess I need to set it manually?

And just a repeat gripe about my Sony TV -- I don't use the time on the TV but it's a networked device. What device that is capable of being connected to the internet doesn't automatically set time? This is a modern TV bought 2 years ago -- really stupid it doesn't fetch the correct date/time from the internet.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12792 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is there some logic in RC clocks in order to figure out the correct time and adjust for DST?

Most of my clocks and watches set time via the radio signal from CO.

I have one clock that isn't adjusting for DST this morning even though signal appears to be strong. Other clocks and watches have adjusted correctly (even my oldest clock which is probably 15+ years old).

Does CO send out a signal that says "10:00 UTC" and then clocks need to figure out it's DST today and add one hour? I'm guessing so and this one clock isn't doing that properly? I guess I need to set it manually?

And just a repeat gripe about my Sony TV -- I don't use the time on the TV but it's a networked device. What device that is capable of being connected to the internet doesn't automatically set time? This is a modern TV bought 2 years ago -- really stupid it doesn't fetch the correct date/time from the internet.

Dunno about your clocks, but if the TV isn't configured to look at an NTP server for time, it won't update. Don't know if it has that ability or not. Look in the menu for something called "NTP server" or "Time source" or similar. If you find one, enter it.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I believe a DST bit gets set in the time signal, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Your clocks should have a setting for whether or not to abide by it. Ours does.

As for network-connected TVs? *shrug* It's been my experience that most makers of things that can be networked (TVs, alarm systems, thermostats, you name it) are clueless when it comes to things like network time.

Or perhaps it's just defensive programming. I don't allow SNTP (Simple Network Time Protocol) through our border router at home, and certainly not through our corporate firewall. Time is served on the LANs, for both, from a local server, which, in turn, gets its time from Internet SNTP servers.

That being said: One-or-more TV stations in your area may provide a time signal. One of ours does. (One of the PBS stations, I believe.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Your clocks should have a setting for whether or not to abide by it. Ours does.

We have two clocks that get the radio signal from WWVB. On both, you set the desired time zone, and then there is a toggle switch to abide by DST, or ignore it (as we do here in AZ).

Any other in house device that can accept NTP time gets it from my home made GPS/NTP server, which keeps time within +/- 10 microseconds of UTC.

Posts: 10806 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying to get my LaCrosse clock to accept the time change. It seems like the new apartment doesn't have a good signal for the thing. It doesn't have a manual DST toggle either so I can never remember how the damn thing adjusts.

Posts: 2202 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The clock was set for DST Auto. Now it's set to Off and manually offset the time by 1 hour.

Cheap shit from China.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12792 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

All of the time info your clocks need for an accurate display are sent as digital signals from WWVB, Fort Collins. This includes daylight savings info.

If case you've never listened to it on HF radio, be aware that you can receive spoken time information audio at 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz.

And in case you're ever out and about and should need the exact time, you can receive the same audio directly from WWV by phone at (303) 499-7111.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are pretty serious about your time! I cranked the hands on my mechanical Seiko forward an hour when I woke up this morning. Smile

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, I know. Pretty anal.

But besides trying to be punctual (pet peeve when other people are late), I have customer mtgs that start and end on time (ie - customers in Japan and Korea). So, frequently, I need to be very aware about exact time.

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
My Casio did it itself, Magic? sounds good enough to me.

Posts: 3592 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What may be affecting the machine is that it doesn't know where it is and whether you're in a location that does daylight savings time.

Those geographies that do DST have it on different times of the year. And, I don't know how long ago it was but the US also changed the day when it switches times.

DST is quite complicated when you consider the differnces around the world. I even had to create a spreadsheet across several time zones because I used to regularly schedule teleconferences and I didn't want to schedule ridiculous times for any party involved.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19751 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The signal is UTC only I believe.

The clock itself must be set to the local time zone to correct for that. The clock itself must correct for Daylight Savings Time as well. The signal does not contain that info.

I think some clocks may contain an internal calendar of the future proposed DST dates so they can switch automatically. I think that because an older clock I have that used to switch to DST on time now does not, after they expanded the DST dates.

SNIP*
While most time signals encode the local time of the broadcasting nation, the United States spans multiple time zones, so WWVB broadcasts the time in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). Radio-controlled clocks can then apply time zone and daylight saving time offsets as needed to display local time.
SNIP*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4135 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:

All of the time info your clocks need for an accurate display are sent as digital signals from WWVB, Fort Collins. This includes daylight savings info.

If case you've never listened to it on HF radio, be aware that you can receive spoken time information audio at 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz.

And in case you're ever out and about and should need the exact time, you can receive the same audio directly from WWV by phone at (303) 499-7111.

May I add the US Naval Observatory clock? 202-762-1401.

And thank you all for the reminder. I've got a batch of machines to sync to the USNO clock first thing tomorrow morning!

God bless America.

Posts: 13547 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Daylight Savings Time as well. The signal does not contain that info.

Yes, it does. As well as leap year and second info.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I think some clocks may contain an internal calendar of the future proposed DST dates so they can switch automatically.

So did Windows operating system back in the 1990's (perhaps other brands as well), hard coded in. That worked well until the .gov up and changed the dates that the switch was made. Smile

Posts: 10806 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
The WWVB broadcast has encoded information about daylight savings time... it always has. It has info about whether we're in DST now, and when the next transition in to or out of DST will be. This allows clever clocks that irregularly receive WWVB to anticipate the change

It also has info about the state of the next leap second.

You can read about the latest WWVB data standard here.

It's pretty interesting... if you're into that sort of thing. :-)

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Apologizing for the thread drift here, I have a question:

On the night we switch DST on, do hourly workers on third shift get shorted an hour? And by the same token, do they get an "extra" -- overtime, perhaps -- hour when we change back in the fall?

I guess I never really thought about it before this evening.

God bless America.

Posts: 13547 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Man, you guys are pretty serious about your time! I cranked the hands on my mechanical Seiko forward an hour when I woke up this morning. Smile

Another Seiko ran up an hour here.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Trying to get my LaCrosse clock to accept the time change. It seems like the new apartment doesn't have a good signal for the thing. It doesn't have a manual DST toggle either so I can never remember how the damn thing adjusts.

I have a LaCrosse on the wall that I happened to notice didn't adjust for the time change, I simply held in the adjustment lever just above and to the left of where the battery goes, seems to be working properly.

Posts: 12189 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
At least the clock in my car is correct again.... until November.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post