SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remington Update: Union accuses Remington Arms’ ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Update: Union accuses Remington Arms’ ... Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Interesting. Maybe they should move to a right to work state.

https://www.syracuse.com/busin...with-job-offers.html

quote:

Union accuses Remington Arms’ new owner in Ilion of going around it with job offers

Ilion, N.Y. -- The union at Remington Arms in Ilion says the plant’s new owner is trying to go around it and its labor contract by sending job offers directly to 200 employees.

The United Mine Workers of America said Tuesday that any offer of employment made by RemArms and the terms and conditions of employment contained in such an offer must be negotiated with the union.

In a letter to RemArms representatives, the union said many of the terms of the job offers “are improper and most likely unlawful.”

“As I am sure you know, our members constitute an experienced and highly productive workforce,” Kevin Fagan, an attorney for the union wrote. “They worked diligently for your predecessor to manufacture world-class products and will do the same for you. However, they will not – and the UMWA will not – permit their work standards and conditions to be unilaterally imposed.”

Roundhill Group LLC, the company behind RemArms, purchased Remington’s gun factory in the Herkimer County village of Ilion and its handgun barrel factory in Lenoir City, Tennessee, this fall for $13 million as part of the gun maker’s breakup and sale under the supervision of a U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge in Alabama.

Remington’s previous owners closed the Ilion plant and furloughed most of its 701 employees, including about 600 represented by the union, just before the sale. RemArms, whose principals include business partners Richmond Italia and Scott Soura, has been working to reopen the plant and is reportedly waiting for approval of its application for a federal firearms license.

The job offers were signed by Italia, RemArms’s managing partner, and list a “proposed start date” of Feb. 15, 2021.

The terms in the job offers include making employment at the factory “at-will,” a condition that would allow the company to fire workers for no reason or any reason except an illegal one, “at any time with or without notice,” according to the letter from Italia.

Phil Smith, a spokesperson for the union, said the plant’s labor contract spells out the conditions and process the company must follow before an employee can be terminated.

In addition, Smith said the plant’s labor contract requires workers to be called back based on seniority. He said it is not clear what criteria the company used to select the 200 workers who were offered jobs, but that seniority was not one of them.

RemArms also drew the union’s ire by asking workers to waive various legal rights, including claims for separation pay and other benefits.

Smith said RemArms has not tried to claim that the plant’s labor contract is no longer valid. In fact, the new owners stipulated in their purchase offer that they would abide by the contract, and that stipulation was made a condition of the sale, he said.

RemArms did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Unions are a curious thing to me, for several reasons, but right now I'm wondering "why is the mine workers' union involved in this?"

God bless America.

Posts: 13517 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
The UNMWA has been involved with Remington for quite some time. I believe it has to do with the conditions contained in the factory, the UNMWA would be the best fit without starting a completely new firearms union.

I hate to say it due to the great history of Ilion, but they need to GTFO and leave New York in the rear-view.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Union guys would rather be unemployed than make concessions. They think they have the company by the short ones until their bluff gets called.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Do you guys remember Checker that made taxi cabs in Michigan? The owners didn’t want to agree to the terms of a new contract? The union said sign or else (we strike). So Checker said ok, or else. They closed the plant and fired e’rbody. I don’t remember the details but it’s true. And that was against the powerful UAW.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gibson Guitars was organized by the Steelworkers Union. The President of Gibson Ted McCarty asked what they have to do with woodworking and guitar making. The union said "Your guitars got steel strings? That's good enough for us".

It's pretty simple. The union that formerly represented the workers has no contract with the new company. The new company has a right to hire any workers it chooses, and THEN the employees can organize under Federal and New York State law if they choose.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That is a good question, does the existing Union Contract stand. If they bought the company then the contracts should stand since an ownership change doesn't change the corporations commitments, unless those commitments were dissolved as part of the bankruptcy.

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Unions have had their day.

I do not deny that they were necessary, they fought a fight that needed to be fought and we are all better off for what they did and achieved.

But their day is over and they are now just a bloated corrupt bullshit organization, a parasite that kills its host. I've spent almost 30 years in the auto industry now and have seen some really stupid shit. It's time for them to go.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Do you guys remember Checker that made taxi cabs in Michigan? The owners didn’t want to agree to the terms of a new contract? The union said sign or else (we strike). So Checker said ok, or else. They closed the plant and fired e’rbody. I don’t remember the details but it’s true. And that was against the powerful UAW.

Just look at Flint, Mi. The birthplace of the UAW. In the 80s they decided to strike, GM said fuck off and left. They got what they wanted... Congrats.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their lawyer sounds like a jackass. World class products? Maybe the good counselor needs a history lesson.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16112 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
But their day is over and they are now just a bloated corrupt bullshit organization, a parasite that kills its host

I beg to differ. For 40 years I was a manager and had to work with Unions. Most of the unions had negotiated contracts that allowed management some leeway to accomodate the needs of the business. Now, I belong to a Union, required by the job I'm in, and attend every union meeting. If it was up to management here, we would be earning $8.50 less per hour and "forced" to do certain things.

So, a Union is still necessary if management would stoop to forcing things on employees that are not fair or proper.

Now, talk to me about the Services Contract Act.... The bastards in Congress......

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I said when Remington was sold and opted to stay in NY it was a bad decision. If the market doesn't kill Remington, the union most certainly will. From the Toyota NUMI plant in California, to Merita Bread here in Orlando, unions caused the closure of facilities and the loss of thousands of jobs.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ I wouldn't be surprised if the local government (whoever issues permits, for example) winds up trying to put their finger on the scale to help the union. Then again, local government's trip is getting a tax base, and therefore keeping jobs.
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
That is a good question, does the existing Union Contract stand. If they bought the company then the contracts should stand since an ownership change doesn't change the corporations commitments, unless those commitments were dissolved as part of the bankruptcy.

My WAG (worth what you paid for it, of course) is that they wouldn't be making this move if they had simply "bought the company". My impression was that when Remington went bankrupt all such commitments died a legal death and all the new owners bought was the assets (plant, right to use the brand name, etc.). Then again, I don't know that.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by greco:

Just look at Flint, Mi. The birthplace of the UAW. In the 80s they decided to strike, GM said fuck off and left. They got what they wanted... Congrats.

Twinkie also as I recall

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't the article state that the new company also bought the union contract , so to speak ? In my experience , that's usually the case . And that includes a company that went bankrupt and was purchased .

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I find it ironic the Unions typically support Democrats. Democrats typically support illegal aliens/open borders who work for cheap labor.
Who's stupid here?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8380 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Unions WAY BACK in the day were a good thing.
Workers being abused hourly, unsafe working conditions etc. , etc. Today they are a curse. Just an arm of the democratic party.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its kind of fun seeing a bunch of gun guys arguing a legal theory. First and foremost, legal arguments rarely follow logic. They follow precedent. And that was often set by corrupt folks. You know, payoffs and what not. Or maybe who you married. Makes about as much sense.

And the solution will probably be corrupt and illogical. In all this the ace in the hole will be the ability to shut NY property and move any, if there is, machinery to someplace friendly to the new owners. Maybe the new owners really are our enemy. The ones keeping ammo in short supply. It might be cheaper to build a new plant with all new machinery to the sunny south with friendly laws and lower heating bills.

The buyer could sell off the name to some Japanese firm to build better quality in Japan or china (didn't bother to make a capital "C"). So now the real question will be does the public (you and me) really have much love for the now tarnished brand name? My only regret is that I have nearly a case of their 9mm ammo. Oh, and I don't even know how many rounds there are in a case.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Didn't the article state that the new company also bought the union contract , so to speak ? In my experience , that's usually the case . And that includes a company that went bankrupt and was purchased .

Well, that's what the union rep said. I'm thinking that the rep's information may or may not be any good (people can walk away from conversations with different impressions as to what was said, people tend to interpret contract language from their own perspectives, and all contracts are generally at risk of some kind in the event of a bankruptcy). It's hard to know where a particular devil is until one has gone through the particular details.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
First and foremost, legal arguments rarely follow logic.

Amen. One should never confuse law with common sense.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post