SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police with AR's at entrances to baseball games
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police with AR's at entrances to baseball games Login/Join 
posted
My daughter went to a TX Rangers game last night. She said the police were armed with AR's at the entrances. I didn't know they were doing this anywhere. She said she hasn't seen them carrying AR's before.

Anyone else notice this at other ballparks? I wonder if this is just the new normal.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
My daughter went to a TX Rangers game last night. She said the police were armed with AR's at the entrances. I didn't know they were doing this anywhere. She said she hasn't seen them carrying AR's before.

Anyone else notice this at other ballparks? I wonder if this is just the new normal.

Someone special may have been there, George W?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I was at the College World Series last year and there was an officer in full kit with an SBR AR at every entrance.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I took my middle son to see Manchester United play Barcelona at FedEx field last week, and there are tons of cops in full kit there. The whole family was there earlier in the month for the U2 concert....same thing

It's been a long time since I've been to a big public event in this area and NOT seen that, though

Maybe because it's the DC area? Honestly I thought that it was this way everywhere

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

It seems the world is moving in this direction. Fire is most easily fought with fire, your enemies with their enemies, and monsters, with monsters...

Sad.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the Orioles pre-game show and they didn't mention anything about it.

As one of the other members stated, maybe one of the Bush family members.

I know Adrian Beltre is going for his 3,000 base hit and the stands have been almost to their full capacity of 48,000.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The islamo-supremacists have urged the jihadists to hit public events. Maybe there is information locally...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I had to drop my wife off at the MLB All Star game in Miami a couple of weeks ago. Lots of black rifles.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
We've seen in multiple events of ISIS storming busy venues with guns (e.g. Bataclan in France), and we've seen ISIS walking into busy venues and detonating suicide vests (e.g. airport in Turkey). They're guarding against these two types of attack and quite possibly a combined event (people with guns attacking large, public venue and when out of ammo or confronted they detonate suicide vests).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think I'm ok with police armed with scary black rifles at public events. I don't go to many public events, though.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

It seems the world is moving in this direction. Fire is most easily fought with fire, your enemies with their enemies, and monsters, with monsters...

Sad.

H&K-Guy

This. Because of the immorality of a few, the rest must live in a state of threat assessments and preparedness. Remember when we could walk all the way to the gate at the airport? Those days are long gone. Indeed one man's immorality limits the freedom of everyone else.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have no issue with it, but I do hope that the black rifle bearers have been well trained in their use (and when NOT to).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
LOTS of them last year for the Coca Cola 400 at Daytona Speedway. Manned armored vehicle standing by during the exfil as well. Aside from a 3 day assault bag these guys were in full battle gear. It made me proud. I was also glad they were there since I did not know their search routine for CCW so I went unarmed. Turns out I'd have had no issue.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
This year at Talladega there seemed to be more security and they were checking under cars with mirrors.

quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
LOTS of them last year for the Coca Cola 400 at Daytona Speedway. Manned armored vehicle standing by during the exfil as well. Aside from a 3 day assault bag these guys were in full battle gear. It made me proud. I was also glad they were there since I did not know their search routine for CCW so I went unarmed. Turns out I'd have had no issue.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
LOTS of them last year for the Coca Cola 400 at Daytona Speedway ... I did not know their search routine for CCW so I went unarmed. Turns out I'd have had no issue.
You might have had a problem.
quote:
From the list of "no carry" places in the Florida Statutes:
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
I'm pretty sure that the race qualifies as a "professional athletic event."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
It's sad but living near or in NYC over the years since 9/11 and this sight becomes absolutely commonplace. Train stations, airports, sporting events, anywhere large crowds gather, Park Ave by Trump Tower, the financial district... NYPD or national guard with M4's and body armor. It's just a fact of life these days.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This is now life as we know it. That's just the sad truth.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's a lucky rabbits foot.

It's supposed to make you feel safer. Did it work?

(AR's don't work well against IED's)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:

Sad.

I don't think having visibly armed cops is 'becoming a monster.'

Becoming a monster would be to randomly jam peoples' faces to the pavement because they look at a cop the 'wrong way,' or roughing up people for wearing hoodies. Becoming a monster would be a police state. I don't think that we risk that just by having some cops carrying rifles at major targets (anywhere that people gather in large numbers; especially if they are forced to be disarmed). In this day and age, I would take comfort from the fact that the authorities are prepared.

Face it, we aren't living in 1980 anymore. Prudent steps are appropriate. This is one such prudent step, IMO.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
It's a lucky rabbits foot.

It's supposed to make you feel safer. Did it work?

(AR's don't work well against IED's)

But they DO work well against knife-wielding thugs (such as in London, OSU, etc etc etc recently).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post