SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police with AR's at entrances to baseball games
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police with AR's at entrances to baseball games Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was in London about 10 years ago, and the police in the airport hand MP 5's. Society choice in how to protect themselves. I'm more of a libertarian, so I CCW when and where I can.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bobofbone,

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a hell of a lot handier to be holding a long gun when you need one than to have to find one.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've seen NYPD ESU/Hercules squads in full gear (M4s, level III body armor, kevlar helmets) randomly around Manhattan.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If there must be gunfire in a crowd of people, I would think the rifle would make it easier to only hit the guy they want to hit.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No ARs in Oakland. Well, at least not st the baseball game.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If it's acceptable for cops to wear plates and sling an AR-15, then non-LEOs *should* be able to do the same without incident. As we all know that will likely cause a scene and I'm fully aware of private property rights, however if a police officer feels the need to take such precautions then a non-LEO should be able to do the same without getting a fist up his ass.

That said, it's another tool to help them do their duty to serve and protect the public. As noted by another member earlier, so long as they use it the right way on the right people it's alright by me.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall often hearing if you change what you do in your daily life in response to terror, they win. So did they, at least in some small measure?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Write your state rep to have that display of male aggression banned because it triggers someone. The vodka-swilling WASPs in Boston Logan were sure gonna do that when the Mass State Patrol was carrying the goodies about 2 weeks after 9-11. Make sure to tell the politicians that Al Quesadilla and ISIS will cower at the use of harsh language by a rent-a-cop and evil guns in the hands of sworn LE in public is an affront to civil society.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Europe these days and there's police and/or military all jocked-up ready to-go at all the major landmarks, churches and museums. Was in Florence and Bologna last year and the Carabineri and Polizei had their guys either posted right up next to the destination or, standing-by with their armored riot-vans.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I can't carry into an event I want armed Police there protecting my crusty old ass.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Went down to the lower platform taking BART home from San Francisco to find numerous police geared up and carrying ARs on 3-point slings. Apparently it was a high alert day. Had never seen this before.

Passing one of the officers, I glanced at his black rifle, and said, "Keep up the good work". He was probably expecting verbal flack this being the sanctuary city it is, so he immediately smiled and replied, "Thank you, Sir!"

[I've also seen a guy in a tie-dye T-shirt sidle up to a BART officer (he was white; officer was black and female, if that "matters") and ask if her gun had bullets. Apparently it had to be explained to him that guns can't really do much without ammunition. His parting words were how it just didn't make any sense, carrying a gun with bullets on a train.]

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Outside the U2 concert in Chicago I saw a couple cops with rifles. They were across the street from Soldier Field by the Museum.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Just outside the grounds of a music festival in Milwaukee a few weeks back, I saw four MPD officers with a Lenco Bearcat. Three out on foot and one up in the turret. All with sidearms, but no body armor on over their uniforms such as plate carriers, or slung rifles. Wanted to thank them, but those dudes eyes were seriously scanning the bulk of the crowd at the entrance gates.

Sign of the times, I guess. But I look at it like this. They were standing watch when I couldn't carry, and when I pass an officer on a traffic stop, I look just in case they pulled over that shithead that wants to go hands on.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
Security theater.
What are the chances that a fully armed cop is going to be at the scene of some nefarious action?
They would have better luck getting hit by lightning.

-Loungechair

Posts: 675 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
What are the chances that a fully armed cop is going to be at the scene of some nefarious action?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ulwell_Center_attack

Two ISIS-affiliated terrorists armed with rifles and body armor attacked an art exhibit in Garland, Texas in 2015. They were initially confronted by a patrol officer armed with a handgun, who traded shots with them and wounded both attackers in the process. The two attackers were then engaged by four rifle-armed and armored SWAT team members, who had been stationed at the event, and who dispatched both attackers during the course of a further gun battle.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
Dallas shooting was only a year ago. 5 police officer dead 9 wounded plus 2 civilians. Ariana Grande Concert 22 dead 59 wounded. It's unfortunate the world we live in.. but reality is it's a dangerous place. Just thank them for being there and being prepared to keep us safe; and enjoy the baseball game.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
Security theater.
They would have better luck getting hit by lightning.

While I somewhat agree, it's what's called a deterrent. Just to make the bad guy think twice about being a bad guy at that place at that time. Making that target a little harder to hit. Sure, not too much a cop with an AR is going to do against a few bricks of C-4, bolts & chain in a backpack and someone that wants to meet Allah. But it might just deter that idiot at your next MLB/NFL, concert...

Now on the flip-side of that coin... When (notice I said "When" not "if") the next attack happens, the public is going to scream "Why didn't you do something BEFORE it happened!" Well, this is one of the things that's being done beforehand.

Europe went through this in the late '70s & 80s when they were getting hit by terrorists.

Me, personally, I don't worry when I see cops with ARs around a large venue. I worry when I don't. Times have changed over the past few years, I don't like it, but it's a sad fact that I accepted.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Not a recent experience, but we were flying from San Jose airport to Salt Lake airport during the Salt Lake Winter Olympics (a few months after 9/11). There were Nat Guard with AR's in both airports. Those in SJC were casual, sloppy, I am not sure they had mags in their AR's. Even the image of security was laughable. We got off the plane in Salt Lake, very different demeanor. There was no question the Guard there was fully prepared and competent to take care of business if needed.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with cops being armed. We can't carry at sporting events in Texas so it's good when LEO steps it up a notch.

Besides being a deferent to the bad guys, it's also a good reminder to the public that the threat isn't just in Europe - in case they forget.

Baseball, apple pie, and Speer Gold Dots. Smile

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If it's acceptable for cops to wear plates and sling an AR-15, then non-LEOs *should* be able to do the same without incident. As we all know that will likely cause a scene and I'm fully aware of private property rights, however if a police officer feels the need to take such precautions then a non-LEO should be able to do the same without getting a fist up his ass.

Why stop there?

The military got mortars, grenade launchers, C4s, nukes. I think you should have those too.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post