SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is a storm shelter a good idea? Daughter wants to know.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a storm shelter a good idea? Daughter wants to know. Login/Join 
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted
Williamson county, TN. New home almost finished with no cellar but huge garage where a 3’x7’ 5-7 person above ground unit won’t be in the way at all. They’re not terribly expensive and there seem to be a number of vendors in the vicinity so my question is whether it’s a good idea for that area and if so does anyone have experience having one put in.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Henry County. Every couple years it seems like a tornado would touch down and cause damage. We had a dirt basement we could go to, but looking back on it if the house got blown away we probably wouldn't have survived.

Last year a tornado went through the Nashville area and caused a lot of damage.

I would get it just for the peace of mind. Tornados are like roulette. You never know when your number will come up.

ETA: If this unit will be taking up garage space, I would use it as a pantry or something so the space isn't just sitting there when not needed taking up real estate.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Not a bad idea to have a reinforced room in that area. A lot of the area can't have a basement without blasting or backfilling.

The room could be used for other things just as long as it could be gotten into in an emergency.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don’t discount the idea, many homes have a ‘safer area’ to go, even without a basement.

I think one needs to keep apprised of weather conditions then keep a weather alert system active. One may have the shelter but if you sleep through the 2:00 A.M. occurrence, no better off.

It really can be hit or miss, especially for a hit that levels a house.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
my question is whether it’s a good idea for that area and if so does anyone have experience having one put in.

It is a good idea without a doubt. That location is in zone 4 which is an area that is prone to tornados with wind speeds up to 250 MPH. Cheap insurance that is better to have and not need than the other way around.

Some of these are also somewhat suitable for storing valuables, similar to the ability of a well built gun safe. If using the room for storage, make sure there is still plenty of room for the occupants to be comfortable inside for a few hours.

At one point we were considering building them ourselves. We have moved and installed a hand full for others. Those that I have had experience with are free standing steel rooms with 5 sides and have been bolted to the concrete around the perimeter.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Keep self-extraction tools in it (pry bars etc) to get yourself out afterwards. This isn't Hollywood where there is guaranteed to be a nice, camera ready, open space in front of your door.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Lived in and around there for 20 years and saw a lot of scary weather and had lots of roof work over the years.

I drove through many a damaged to devastated areas over the years.

We had an F3 move through where we used to live about 200 yards away the year we left and another hit our daughters previous school and did a huge amount of damage.

So what I am saying is I never needed a fire extinguisher in 20 years but I was glad to have one. I wish I had had a shelter myself as basements are rare.

All that said a high level tornadic event that hits YOU is a statistical anomaly even in higher risk areas. The problem is, like having to use a firearm in anger, it is an extremely low probability event that happens to result in a VERY HIGH IMPACT result.

So I say build the shelter for peace of mind.

We had one incident many years back of tornadic hail. It broke a window, chipped brick and our privacy fence looked like I had spent the time evening shooting bird shot into it.

Also be mindful of the TN state bird. It’s a giant trampoline launched at your house. Smile. I had a neighbor launch his at me like clockwork even after he tried to peg it down. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Underground would seem much safer. Cannot excavate a hole and put block in it with a storm lid close to the house. This is how millions survived such events for a long, long time.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Underground would seem much safer. Cannot excavate a hole and put block in it with a storm lid close to the house. This is how millions survived such events for a long, long time.

The small garage shelters anchored into the concrete are more convenient, cheaper and you don’t have to worry about them flooding. They are also rated for basically wrath of God stuff

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Keep self-extraction tools in it (pry bars etc) to get yourself out afterwards. This isn't Hollywood where there is guaranteed to be a nice, camera ready, open space in front of your door.

Also keep a couple cans of dog food in there. Can’t hurt to give the fur coat rescue guys a little extra incentive to find you. I am not joking. Wink

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Hell, the German Shepherd that digs me out is getting steak, not dog food!

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Yup. If this is new construction then it is much easier and cheaper.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
3’x7’ 5-7 person

I am not sure that I would count on squeezing 5 people into that space, let alone 7. I would make it somewhat bigger and out of substantial material. Like concrete or cement blocks. I have seen very substantial trees ripped out of the ground by tornados. If I were concerned about safety from tornadoes, I would build a shelter, underground with substantial doors. Stock it with battery powered lights and emergency rations for at least 3 days, for the maximum number of expected occupants. Not forgetting bottled water. Lots of it.

A couple of years ago we had some pretty powerful straight line winds come thru here. As I recall, the weather service said winds gusted to 70-75 MPH. And one of our trees (an oak about 40 inches around at the base, was blown over, ripping its roots right out of the ground.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hell, the German Shepherd that digs me out is getting steak, not dog food.

My thoughts as well but keeping steak in your shelter is a tad untenable Smile

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The small garage shelters anchored into the concrete are more convenient, cheaper [/QUOTE]

If I am concerned enough about tornado's. A few bucks and convenience is not going to take precedence over something to protect my loved ones.

While these might be cheap, convenient and somewhat effective.

I would want more than that.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Now you have a reason to dig an oil change pit in the garage! Serves double duty.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
While these might be cheap, convenient and somewhat effective.

I would want more than that.

The reputable manufacturers have them certified. There are simply parts of our country where a buried shelter is not possible, and even if it is, may be difficult to access. These above ground units are as simple as "walking into a closet" and shutting the door behind you.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve lived in tornado alley all my life. If I bought a shelter it would be an underground one.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
I’m also building in Williamson. My home will be completed in June. I’m on decking over a block crawl so the only place to bolt something down is in the garage. New construction seems to be neglecting garage size a little, so getting a suitable shelter in a Garage that is going to be packed will be a challenge.

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind one ~ it would make a nice gun room. Smile

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post