SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog/puppy vaccination pros/cons how to?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog/puppy vaccination pros/cons how to? Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Vet. ‘Course slabsides just helped you out…but in my state (and, I thought, in all) a vet HAS to administer the rabies vaccine...

Same for us, irreverent. Veterinarian only, must maintain a legal record, etc.

We give rabies at 15 weeks, then booster 12 months later, then we give it every 3 years per statute.
You cannot even legally purchase a 1 year rabies in our state. For the distemper and parvo, they're 3 year interval as well nowadays. Lepto is every year.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
When I was in my 20's, I gave the dogs all their shots except rabies for legal reasons stated above. It's a good idea to space out the final first shots: Parvo and Rabies. In rare occasions, the mix of the two coupled with a puppy's growing immune system can cause an allergic reaction. The Parvo should come first, BTW.

Twenty-five years later, I'd forgotten all that. We brought our new puppy in for shots and a few hours later, she had a reaction. We had to rush her back in to the vet for a steroid shot and some Benadryl.

Anyway, the shots are important. There's a reason rabies really isn't a thing anymore. The vaccine is very effective. Parvo is still very common and the vaccine isn't as effective as we'd like it to be but it does abate it somewhat; especially for folks who rescue dogs. Find a trustworthy vet and follow their guidance.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
10 years ago when ours were pups, the timeframe for “let them run and mingle at the dog park” was 4 months.
By then they had full coverage - Parvo was the biggy - and life went on.
Don’t know if the timeframe is any different today.
My dogs only reaction was being a little punky for a day but nothing else.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post