SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good home warranty companies?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good home warranty companies? Login/Join 
posted
After a good run (5 years) renting we have been forced to make the jump to buying a new house. ( the landlord who has generally been good to deal with told us by the end of our current lease 10/31 that he wanted to sell)
The house we are buying is only 5 years old and in great shape.
It was suggested by some friends we should consider a home warranty.
Does anybody have one they are happy with both cost wise and with filing claims when needed?

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Save your money

Posts: 1949 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You'd be better off just setting money aside each payday in a separate account for incidental expenses.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'd be better off just setting money aside each payday in a separate account for incidental expenses.

Home warranties are as bad as product warranties. Profit margins are 50% to 90%.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4246 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For a five year old house I wouldn't bother.

If you must have a recommendation, I've done work for them all and the best is AHS. Your service is dependant upon the company they send. We were extremely good at warranty work and made it a good experience. Most customers I saw had not previously had good experiences. A lot of the companies doing warranty work are doing so because they can't get their own customers.

Also read the contact so you know what you are buying and aren't suprised if something is not covered. On the electrical side add code violation coverage and fixture coverage.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20739 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Every house I bought in the last 38 years came with a Home Warranty included in the sale price.

If it wasn't free, I wouldn't have it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They all suck balls. My most recent experience was with a company included in the sale. I'd had the home 3 months when the HVAC died in below zero weather. The insurance company denied the claim. I was so pissed I got a refund on the insurance.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I get that they are all essentially a sham, but what about fire or water/flood damage etc.? This would also mean sprinkler lines and such in the case of water damage.

Decent probability of need at some point and almost always exceedingly expensive to fix.

Who's best to deal with?

Posts: 7484 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
LOL, there are none because they’re all one big SCAM

Keep your money, don’t waste it on any of these scammers.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

the best is AHS.

No, they’re just the biggest Roll Eyes

I got one when I bought a condo in 2007 and renewed the following year. My central AC began giving me problems and I tried to use them, they would put a Band-Aid on it and that’s it, when I asked the technician if they’ve ever replaced a system he simply laughed and said never.

I did not renew the following year and those pricks called me at least three times a day for months trying to get me to sign back up. I literally entered their phone number in my phone address book as “AHS crooks and assholes“ Big Grin

total scam

Posts: 33567 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
And now for something completely different.....

WE have a good size group of anti-extended warranty folk here, sometimes it seems like all Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard disciples Big Grin

For the most part we agree as I don't get extended warranties, except.....

When we bought the 25 year old home for our daughter the seller bought the American Home Shield warranty as part of the sale, you might ask for the seller to include a one year AHS contract so that if anything does take a dive you have only a deductible to get a service tech to the house.

Today getting a plumber or electrician out on a service calls can run $100's, well more than the $50 deductible for having an AC guy come out..

We continued it for her every year as a birthday present, not super expensive.

It's replaced the kitchen stove/oven at no cost, provided an AC repair person that doesn't tell you that a whole new unit is needed at $5K because your's used the "old freon" they just fix it, fill it and go.

They send you a contracted independent repair person, and not one we've had come by has been a shyster or derelict.

https://www.ahs.com/

Depending on your situation, the house age, they can be good to have. Other than the premiums we've had electricians, ac people, appliance, plumbing, etc and the only out of pocket was the $50 deductible.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
LOL, there are none because they’re all one big SCAM

Keep your money, don’t waste it on any of these scammers.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

the best is AHS.

No, they’re just the biggest Roll Eyes

I got one when I bought a condo in 2007 and renewed the following year. My central AC began giving me problems and I tried to use them, they would put a Band-Aid on it and that’s it, when I asked the technician if they’ve ever replaced a system he simply laughed and said never.

I did not renew the following year and those pricks called me at least three times a day for months trying to get me to sign back up. I literally entered their phone number in my phone address book as “AHS crooks and assholes“ Big Grin

total scam

I based my findings on working for half dozen warranty companies over many years, you based yours on one experience.

I think it's safe to say, that I didn't recommend them because of the size of the company.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20739 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
I get that they are all essentially a sham, but what about fire or water/flood damage etc.? This would also mean sprinkler lines and such in the case of water damage.

Decent probability of need at some point and almost always exceedingly expensive to fix.

Who's best to deal with?

Homeowners Insurance already covers all of that. The only home warranty you'd ever need would be covered by the builder if you purchased a new home.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8757 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 9103 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pass, pass, pass.... as in, not just no, but HELL NO.

If you like spending money and not receiving anything for it... get one!
If you like dealing with morons, having headaches and being frustrated... get one!
If you like dealing with companies who you'd never hire in the first place... get one!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Wow. My first thought on reading the thread title was, “Sounds like an oxymoron.” It appears I am not alone in that opinion.

I think it might not be a bad idea as a seller to buy a one year warranty when selling a house. (“I knew of no problems when I sold Joe the house, but provided insurance in the event something unforeseen came up. Don’t blame me if Joe has problems.” I’d never buy one for myself though.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Exactly. It should be part of your budget. The monthly cost of owning a home isn't just the house payment. It's house payment + $X into savings to cover the inevitable repair/replacement when something goes wrong. (And it will. Welcome to home ownership... You're the landlord now.)

As stated already, don't bother with home warranties.

quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

Who's best to deal with?

Your homeowner's insurance. That's what it's for. Your homeowner's insurance doesn't cover wear/tear or things breaking (in most cases), only losses like from a fire, theft, storm, flood, natural disaster, non-negligent water leak, etc.

Whereas home warranties are (purportedly) for when the AC breaks, or the oven or garage door opener needs replacement, or stuff like that. (But good luck trying to get them to actually approve a claim.)

Think of it like car insurance/warranties. If your car gets hailed on or broken into, it's an insurance issue. If your AC breaks or the transmission goes out, it's a warranty (or out of pocket) issue.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
And now for something completely different.....

WE have a good size group of anti-extended warranty folk here, sometimes it seems like all Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard disciples Big Grin

For the most part we agree as I don't get extended warranties, except.....

When we bought the 25 year old home for our daughter the seller bought the American Home Shield warranty as part of the sale, you might ask for the seller to include a one year AHS contract so that if anything does take a dive you have only a deductible to get a service tech to the house.

Today getting a plumber or electrician out on a service calls can run $100's, well more than the $50 deductible for having an AC guy come out..

We continued it for her every year as a birthday present, not super expensive.

It's replaced the kitchen stove/oven at no cost, provided an AC repair person that doesn't tell you that a whole new unit is needed at $5K because your's used the "old freon" they just fix it, fill it and go.

They send you a contracted independent repair person, and not one we've had come by has been a shyster or derelict.

https://www.ahs.com/

Depending on your situation, the house age, they can be good to have. Other than the premiums we've had electricians, ac people, appliance, plumbing, etc and the only out of pocket was the $50 deductible.

We have had similar experiences and have American Home Shield as well, which came with the purchase of our current house. We have had very good service and the contractors are from reputable firms.

Posts: 4915 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Like I said, these Home Warranty threads always devolve into a list of reasons people don't buy them. Fact is they wouldn't buy them for any reason, and I'm one of those folks, however that doesn't really answer your question.

Skins worked for AHS, and the answer to your question of "if you bought one who would you use" is AHS. Our experiences with them have been good 100%.

Still request the seller include a 1 year AHS home warranty as part of the deal, regardless of anyone's proclivities pro or con. After the year you can decide to renew or not, but it gives you one year off from having to cover any major expenses.

AHS has paid off for us with my daughters two older homes zero hassle, no arguments, never questioned, they just send over a tech to fix things.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
We had AHS for the past 12 years. My wife is a realtor so we got a deal on the annual fee. Over the course of the 12 years, we broke even.

Earlier this year the water heater failed. Vented, gas water heater. The company assigned to the problem came out assessed the situation, determined that a replacement was needed and contacted AHS. Two freaking weeks later, after many calls and finally writing an email to the president of AHS, it was replaced. I get it, the supply chain is broke. However, AHS was a PITA to deal with and took forever. We dropped em and wouldn't recommend them.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 714 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
We recently put an offer on a house and the sellers had included the 1-year home warranty plan. I told our Realtor to take it out of contract.

These home warranties are scams. I have two friends who bought houses. When they went to get the warranty company for repairs on things that broke, NOPE, sorry, "we don't cover that."

Total rip offs.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1365 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post