SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good home warranty companies?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good home warranty companies? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had a home warranty included when I purchased this house. Our water heater crapped out so I called the warranty company. The plumbing company who they had do the repair let us sit for 4 days over a holiday weekend when we had family coming over. The warranty company said they had 3 "business" days to complete the repair which did not count the weekend or holiday.

When I previously needed a water heater I called Mr. Waterheater and had hot water about 3 hours later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Every home I bought or sold had the seller paying for a home warranty policy for one year. It's minimal cost to the seller and more like a feel good.

I've never had to use a home warranty. I had a friend who used it twice. One was for a water heater that was inside the house and spilled water.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Two freaking weeks later, after many calls and finally writing an email to the president of AHS, it was replaced. I get it, the supply chain is broke. However, AHS was a PITA to deal with and took forever. We dropped em and wouldn't recommend them.

There is no "supply chain issue"

They are trying to get you to give up, plain and simple.

AHS are a pack of CROOKS

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good home warranty companies?

Short answer: None.

We got an American Home warranty provided by the sellers when we bought our current home. It was worse than worthless.

Every time you make a claim and they send a service tech to your house, you got charged $75 for the visit.

Except for replacing the microwave which died not long after we moved in, the usual response to an issue is “this is not covered under the warranty”. So, you spent $75 for nothing.

The “highlight” of our American Home experience was a call regarding a leaky pipe. We paid the $75 service fee and the plumber they sent took a quick look and said it was wasn’t covered under the warranty because the pipe was “improperly installed”. I pointed out that our house was built in 1945 and the pipe had apparently been fine for 70 years. It didn’t matter, he just shrugged his shoulders and left.

in retrospect however, having the claim denied could have been a blessing in disguise. An acquaintance of mine who is an HVAC tech told me that many reputable service providers will have nothing to do with outfits like American Home. Consequently, these warranty companies often contract with incompetent and fly-by-night outfits. You’re better off not having people like that working on your house.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

An acquaintance of mine who is an HVAC tech told me that many reputable service providers will have nothing to do with outfits like American Home.

I have heard this as well from numerous sources.

The guy that came to fix my central AC seemed competent enough but when I mentioned the possibility of getting it replaced under the warranty, he actually laughed out loud at me and said they will send him to Band-Aid repair it only, they'll never replace it.

PASS

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My experience was similar to those posted already. If you call to get a burned out bulb replaced, they will send out a guy to change out the filament instead of replacing the whole bulb. I'm exaggerating but not by much.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
Home warranties are repair warranty’s not give you a new one. If it’s repairable that’s what the contract calls for. If it can’t be fixed and dies under normal wear and tear they replace them with builder grade equipment. People never read the contract just assume it covers everything. You come up on a ac that’s matted all sides compressor has died a miserable death and you should get a new one because your too lazy to keep it clean or change that matted year old filter that has killed the blower motor get real

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post