SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TFB TV interview with Tom Taylor of SIG
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TFB TV interview with Tom Taylor of SIG Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
FYI, here's an interview that might interest many here:

https://youtu.be/Q_VK6vYkWO0

The issue of production numbers comes up several times in the interview. It jives with what I heard from three separate SIG employees who work in manufacturing, shipping or int'l sales recently. The place is running full bore and still can't meet demand, so there should be no surprise that caliber conversions, etc., especially for boutique products like the MPX, aren't being made because they can't even keep up with demand.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
Excellent video!

I appreciate the candor from Sig. Even though many here will be disappointed and justifiably so re MPX caliber conversions and accessory unavailability, business decisions have to be made and they'd rather make guns than devote resources to new accessories.

Certain brands have been completely absent from my local dealers' shelves during recent times, but Sig has been the biggest exception I have noticed. P320 and P365 models keep trickling in every week to all of my local dealers. Good on Sig for consistently shipping product.

Some great takeaways from this video are:
1) P320 in 10mm is coming
2) New P365 models coming, including in at least one other caliber
3) Sig has made over 1,000,000 P365s to date Razz

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Excellent video!

I appreciate the candor from Sig.

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised that Sig gave us the leeway that they did in terms of subject matter for questions. They showed up to participate. Nothing was cut from the video other than conversational gaps.

Posts: 2423 | Location: New Orleans | Registered: January 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Watching it now... good interview

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7000 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
The new P365 I'd love to see is a locked breech slightly smaller .380. Moving up in caliber probably isn't going to work in the already spatially-challenged P365. So the only logical choices from there are .22lr or .380 ACP (or .32 ACP if you're me).

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Shame that during the conversation about Germany no discussion about the Mastershop line and if it will survive. Nice work up at SIG, must have been a fun few days.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Sweet interview.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
A million P365s in three years??? Wow.

The numbers on the early P365 are also interesting. He said customer complaints were 2% of 1400 early guns. That is 280 people. Granted, maybe some never actually called Sig (it’s so much easier to just complain online). It is amazing how much internet heat has come out of 280 guns. Compared to a million shipped, you really do hear only about the lemons, huh?

Also, do people really not buy 8” MPXs? Personally, I have a hard time justifying a “rifle” with a shorter barrel than my pistol. Plus, just a little more real estate for my left hand feels so much better and smooth when shooting. I must be weird.

Anyway, the one question not asked: where are the Mastershop US X5s?

Frankly, this kind of candor is stunning. Is there any competitors who have done anything similar without constantly resorting to vague marketing speak? Given real production and complaint rate numbers? Good on Sig.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
He said customer complaints were 2% of 1400 early guns. That is 280 people.

You may want to check your math there.

Though it seems the correct math will even further prove your point. If I understand what you're saying correctly.

2% of 1400 is 28 units.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Gah! Yeah, exactly. 28 guns having issues led to over a year of internet drama?

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
James does a great job, I enjoy his videos. This was a good one.

Don’t hold your breath for US made Mastershop guns. They would not be very profitable for SIG Sauer to make. Polymer framed guns will continue to dominate the product line. The Classics are dwindling....

I submitted a question for this interview, and it was about the future of the Classic line of SIG pistols. Unfortunately, the question didn’t get asked.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10492 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:

I really appreciate that; I put a lot of effort into them. This one was fun and there's a lot more coming. The Spear video is uploaded already, just waiting on the word to publish it.

Posts: 2423 | Location: New Orleans | Registered: January 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Thanks, James. I didn't even know you're a member here. Cool

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Thanks, James. I didn't even know you're a member here. Cool

I used to post a lot more when I was in college and not as much now, but this is still my favorite forum.

posted Hide Post
You really do a great job with your videos Obey, you make it look a lot easier than it really is. I watched this one to the end and I loved you saying "they're just plastic." Keep up the great work.

8 inch MPX's have been enjoying massive interest on GB, can't believe the prices. I do want to get an 8" barrel for mine, so from my vantage point, that version does have demand.

10mm 320 was great news, an X-Carry version of that will definitely be on my watch list.

I am also very interested in seeing if the Spear does actually come to market within the next 2 years. The one worry I have is when he said it "won't be cheap" 2 different times. Makes me wonder if they are going to start at 4K.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obey:
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:

I really appreciate that; I put a lot of effort into them. This one was fun and there's a lot more coming. The Spear video is uploaded already, just waiting on the word to publish it.

What days were you up at SSA doing the interview?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
2% of 1400 is 28 units.

Well I was one of those 28 then. I have a 3 digit s/n Jan 18 production gun. When I got it, it had the Return to Battery issue. I give them credit for fixing it as I have over 4Krds thru it now with no failures of any kind. Oh and my striker is original too, the paperwork never said they replaced the striker.....

Great interview Obey, I enjoyed it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
This is the most informative Sig interview I have even seen. Thanks for the clarity about my favorite line of pistols.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
Gah! Yeah, exactly. 28 guns having issues led to over a year of internet drama?

True or not, it didn't help that Military Arms Channel got one (two, maybe) of them.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking a .380 P365 with a lighter recoil spring for people who have trouble racking the slide, and those who are recoil sensitive. Not really seeing the benefit of scaling it down in size and making it less shootable. .22LR is possible too, .32 not so much. But it's Sig so they could always rebrand 9x18 Makarov into .355 Sig and charge more for the ammo....

P320 10mm is interesting. I held a compact .45 once and was impressed with the reasonable grip size for a double stack (or 1.5 stack maybe) .45 ACP.

The Spear could be in the same calibers as the Cross, and .308 would be nice until the .277 Fury gets enough traction for ammo to be available and priced somewhat reasonably. Pricing comparable to the SCAR would make sense.

The P classic series is probably going to move to niche production with even fewer variants, perhaps only Legions and base models. A US made P226 X5 that is competitive with the CZ Shadow 2 would be smart. Maybe not Mastershop, but certainly a build quality level comparable to the P210A at a similar price point.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post