SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inane things to ponder
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inane things to ponder Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
Hawaii has interstate highways.

Simples. Interstate Highway is a nomenclature given to a strip of road that is to be converted to a runway during an emergency or time of war.

About 70% or so cannot have any overhead power lines, fiber optics, or anything that could obstruct aircraft landing or during takeoff.

Posts: 9157 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
Hawaii has interstate highways.

Simples. Interstate Highway is a nomenclature given to a strip of road that is to be converted to a runway during an emergency or time of war.

About 70% or so cannot have any overhead power lines, fiber optics, or anything that could obstruct aircraft landing or during takeoff.

I have read that that is a myth. (Don't ask me where, because I don't remember.) ETA: see link below.

The Interstate National Defense Highway System was designed and implemented to facilitate movement of troops and their equipment during times of conflict on our shores or for staging for shipment to a conflict zone. ETA: This is another myth--the main reason was just to facilitate better transportation throughout the nation, and improve highway safety.

Here is a link to a page of the Federal Highway Administration that addresses that and a number of other myths/questions about the Interstates: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/inter...emyths.cfm#question5.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Why are bees kept in an apiary, but apes are kept in a bestiary?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
. If people evolve from monkeys, why are monkeys still around?

It’s like this. You go shopping and buy new clothes. When you get home, why are there still old clothes in your closet?

There is nothing that requires that a species must go extinct. Humans and apes share a common ancestor. Apes have evolved to suit their environment. No, they never will evolve into humans.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If doing something Half assed is bad,

Which is good, Doing something Fully assed or No assed?

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Why is the letter W, in English, called double U?

Shouldn't it be called double V?

++++++++++++++++++++++
Check your Latin alphabet history

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6316 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I have read that that is a myth...

flashguy

Looks like I was mythinformed

Posts: 9157 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
When I order a jumbo shrimp I’m really confused if they are a big shrimp, or a little jumbo.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between 'partly sunny' and 'partly cloudy'?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
As I heard it, H-3 on Oahu (the Traffic Isle) was built specifically to allow Marines from Kaneohe to transport their military equipment quickly to Pearl Harbor if needed.

The Kaiser Hospital on Oahu is on Red HIll; underneath are billions of gallons of bunker fuel for ships, and probably other military fuel stores as well. Military didn’t want to risk the Japs remembering to hit the fuel tanks the next time around.

But now I’m succumbing to the temptation to answer what were clearly rhetorical questions.... Big Grin

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My history is pretty sketchy here, but let’s try this theory -

The US interstate system was starter by Eisenhower (?) based, to a degree, on what he saw in Germany, the Autobahn. One of the reasons for the Autobahn was to move troops and equipment quickly and efficiently to any part of the Reich. Had things worked out according to plan, that would have included all of Europe.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Why is all mayonnaise labeled "real mayonnaise?" Is there such a thing as fake mayonnaise?

Why is the plural of goose "geese," but the plural of moose is still "moose?"

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Why do they call it a near miss when it is a near hit?

Q

Posts: 26413 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Thanks for getting the thread back on track.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Why is the "laughter" in manslaughter pronounced differently than the "laughter" of laughter?
Answer: Because there is no longer laughter, after the man was slaughtered. Smile

Q

Posts: 26413 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is the price of DOWN, UP.?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
The body is 98 degrees but 98 degrees outside air temp feels hot.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is the current temperature and weather conditions given....at the Airport?

Who lives at the Airport?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
What is the difference between 'partly sunny' and 'partly cloudy'?
This one is easy:

partly sunny == mostly cloudy
partly cloudy == mostly sunny

Has to do with the % of cloud cover.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Why is the current temperature and weather conditions given....at the Airport?

Who lives at the Airport?
Because weather is very important in aviation, so a lot of accurate equipment is there. Plus a lot of people know where a major airport is, so it works for a good reference point.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post