SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Women pronouncing women like woman.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women pronouncing women like woman. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
A totally non important thread but curious if others have noticed this. I first noticed Candace Owens pronounced the word women as woman. In other words she didn’t say “wimmen”. She seems to have changed now to what I’m used to. But I am hearing it over and over on different media platforms and it seems strange to me.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
The English most of us learned in school has been incrementally 'idiotized' for decades.

Now you hear this idiocy more and more in common use. Bit by bit, it becomes the defacto correct usage.

Women/woman is just one more example of a dumbing down of language.

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I’m going to be straight with you, I’ve always said women as it’s phonetically spelled. I have always considered “wimmin” to be a hillbilly accent.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
As long as it's not womyn...................
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womyn

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4579 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
Candace is from Connecticut, it is a regional accent there. There is a town near the center of the state named New Britain, which many people pronounced “New Brittinn” with a very weak “I”. Whenever I listen to her I hear that Connecticut accent clearly.

It is a little odd however as she is from Stamford, which is overrun with New Yorkers and sometimes sounds more like westchester county NY.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I’m going to be straight with you, I’ve always said women as it’s phonetically spelled. I have always considered “wimmin” to be a hillbilly accent.

I’m fine with that. It just sounds odd to me to hear the singular and plural the same. But I guess it is a regional thing to some extent.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post